Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boredom

Boredom

Hot topic for today is boredom...

It is rather discouraging when I get "read out," as in I have been reading for many days and want to do something different, but I get "puzzled out," after spending several days assembling online jigsaw puzzles of temples, deities, sacred images (my form of devotion), and I'm out in the country where there isn't much to do this far out from the temple (45 minutes by car). I'm waiting for the sewing room to be put together gradually before I can start learning to sew.

For some reason, I don't want to do anything, feel listless, and want to simply be. This is really hard for me...

Re: Boredom

Namaste DA,

What is wrong with taking time to 'simply be'?

I think we all have such moments. When I have them I use them to meditate on breath, mantra or recent study/events. Or I garden or simply sit/walk in Nature and soak in the beauty and bliss of Bhagavan in his imminence, and give thanks.

Enjoy the peaceful moments. Stop and see what you've been learning in creation around you, and/or start to apply it. ^_^

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

At the same time, I feel restless, like I have so much to do. Keep in mind that I've had to deal with struggling tremendously with the householder stage of life. I never married, never really had a career, just jumping from job to job every 5-10 years when I finally had enough of one. I feel like I have no purpose right now. I have decided that by the end of this summer, if I have not lined up production work for the fall, I will simply show up at the temple and sign the rest of my life over to them.
    Last edited by deafAncient; 03 June 2015 at 05:40 PM.

Namaste,

I don't intend to diminish your experience, but you aren't alone in this. this is also something I think a lot of us could say. Marriage doesn't make a life easier, nor do children, especially if only one spouse works or one or both are underemployed and/or under heavy debt from school or mortgage, as is increasingly the case. Owning a home, even a small condo, isn't easy either. Upkeep, which compounds with the more space you have and if there's a yard, bills, snow removal and gutter cleaning if you're in a place that gets snow, and these are only some of the more material challenges.

The life of a Householder is only easy if one is rich, and even then not necessarily. All struggle with their own battles, challenges, obstacles and desires. Each individual's struggle is unique with general similarities so we may empathize with each other and come together. But the struggle is always there. We all strive for something. Most feel a call towards something, and many feel the urgency you speak of too.

Regardless, take the still moments and cherish them. Set aside the urgency and embrace the quiet moments. To me, these are what is most important because when we do this we are submitting, surrendering, as the Lord asks of us. This is the hardest lesson. Striving for anything is still struggle, just as all senses are 'suffered', pleasurable or not. Cease struggling and submit to Bhagavan, even for a few moments, lay your striving at His or Her golden feet. It's funny how when you do, suddenly ways are opened that weren't there before, obstacles are lessened or gone, things often get easier.

Taking advantage of the quiet moments of desiring nothing like this, they will grow and things unfold faster and better. At least, this has been my experience.

I like the idea of leaving everything behind and devoting all service to a Temple, though this is where your life allows and the path mine took won't yet. Do you have one in mind, then?

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Namaste Aanandinii,

Please clarify your question. Are you referring to which temple I have in mind? If so, I'm not sure yet.

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by deafAncient View Post
    For some reason, I don't want to do anything, feel listless, and want to simply be. This is really hard for me...
    There are times in everyone's life when a feeling of emptiness takes over and causes paralysis. Lack of direction and a total lack of purpose ensues and consumes the individual for a length of time. If that be the case, then the already suggested remedy of long walks, communion with nature to still the mind does wonders. We all tend to get into overload modes, but we must never despair when that happens. One has to find ways to deal with this temporary phase. When we indulge in an activity which has no purpose, we fulfill the need of 'I simply want to be'. Many of us have a secret desire for a simpler life out in the country where there is nothing to do. Yet, when some of us are fortunate to be in that situation, we can't handle it beyond a certain point. Why not break the monotony of abundance of 'nothing-to-do' time with volunteering, either formal or informal. We are all bound by the law of karma (action). To not do anything at all is not possible even for Bhagwan Krishan (somewhere in the BG).

if I have not lined up production work for the fall, I will simply show up at the temple and sign the rest of my life over to them.
    Any decision made out of desperation is not going to be a satisfying one in the long run. Deciding to serve a temple must be a conscious decision made with a desire for service and not as a way out of a situation. I am sorry if it sounds harsh, but being politically correct for me would be counter-productive and a disservice to you in the long run. So, you must face up to life and demand of yourself 'to live'; not to accept defeat and run to a temple. That simply is not SD. Be strong!

Pranam.

Vannakkam: "One of man's greatest follies is to view the temporal as permanent." - Tirukkural

I've been there ... in boredom. Retirement can do that to a person. But it is temporal. I've also been in the busy-busy-busy no sleep periods. When the boredon one comes around, I compare it to being too busy. Of the two, I'll take boredom any day. The other one is downright unhealthy, and short of quitting your job, or walking away from your marriage and kids (dharma) there is no creative solution. Boredom, on the other hand does have solutions. Last year I bought a lathe, for example. There are hobbies to be had.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Please clarify your question. Are you referring to which temple I have in mind? If so, I'm not sure yet.
    Namaskar,

Yes, that was my question. I had hoped your decision was in indication that you had found a Temple or community since I was last very active.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

This phase of being busy with working most days like most people have doesn't happen very often. You could say that I've been living in a semi-retired state since about 2004. 24 hours is a long time when you have free time for weeks. Historically, I have worked at more 20-23 per week, but that ended two years ago when the company forced me out politically through hour cuts, etc. Since then, I've done a number of volunteer assignments and really strange jobs. Right now, I could be completely off for the summer if I don't find something. For the past year-plus, I have been reading nearly 4,000 pages of books contemporarily about SD (Rajiv Malhotra, Western Dominance, American Exceptionalism, Invading the Sacred, etc.). There is not much else I could do for free other than take walks. I have to walk quickly to keep skeeters from eating me alive (you know we had all this rain for the past two months, right?).

When I meant to turn my life over to a temple, I did not mean to say to hide out there. I want to find a way to help dharma in this world. And of course, I have to decide carefully what I do next, because it would be just another mistake in my 30-year-chain of mistakes. Speaking of hobbies - I don't have the room, as my ENTIRE house measures 13 X 7.5 feet.

Yes, I did find a temple. I went there for the first time on Sunday and met the manager there at the Hindu Temple of The Woodlands in Texas. I will be going there every Sunday, even though it is a 40 minute drive each way (I'm out in the country, where I'm the only Sanātani out there - there is some sort of "Predestination, Primitive Baptist Church" out here - NOT GOING to find out what this means).

Thread Information