Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boredom

Re: Boredom

Namaste,

I apologize for the way my soapbox speech(post) sounded. Putting you on the defensive or adding to the existing turmoil was the last thing I wanted to do. Having been through that stage, I realize that there is a limit to the options one can exercise with very limited funds and tight living quarters. Learnt a new word today, sketters; just when I thought I had learned everything about Americana. Living on the temple premises 24/7 must be quite an experience. It would be wonderful to have the association of devotees and the priests on a daily basis.

Pranam.

Namaste Believer,

This temple doesn't seem to have the facilities for housing someone, but I would have to agree in that it would be something.

Praṇāma to all.

Namaste deafAncient

Hari Om

Quote Originally Posted by deafAncient View Post
    It is rather discouraging when I get "read out," as in I have been reading for many days and want to do something different, but I get "puzzled out,"
    For some reason, I don't want to do anything, feel listless, and want to simply be.
    I have been through boredom and its debilitating effect on our mental vigor. IMHO, the panacea for boredom is to find your passion, or a sense of purpose. Delve deep within yourself and find out if you can identify something that you would do not for money (or fame) but because you love to do. This passion/purpose should benefit others.Fortunately in the internet-era, our options have increased. Giving some part of yourself for a purpose (without any expectation of reward/recognition), that you really believe in, will do the trick.

Best Wishes.

Om Namah Shivay

Quote Originally Posted by surrenderindailylife View Post
    I have been through boredom and its debilitating effect on our mental vigor. IMHO, the panacea for boredom is to find your passion, or a sense of purpose. Delve deep within yourself and find out if you can identify something that you would do not for money (or fame) but because you love to do. This passion/purpose should benefit others.Fortunately in the internet-era, our options have increased. Giving some part of yourself for a purpose (without any expectation of reward/recognition), that you really believe in, will do the trick.
    Best Wishes.

Om Namah Shivay
    Namaste Surrender,

I've been doing what you suggested for 30 years! I have not been able to figure it out. Right now I feel ill after watching a bit of the politics on her TV (we agree on most everything, just in case you're wondering). I had to come in here in the spare room to blank out. I don't know what to do next exactly. I fear downtimes like this because I have them all the time. It feels like I'm in prison, because there isn't much else I can do. I feel so disillusioned with life much of the time.

Namaskaram DeafAncient ji

I suppose I am bored , or I wouldnt be brousing forums , .....but I had to smile and agree with you , hearing politics on the radio tends to depress me , ....I dont have a TV , I threw it out of the house many many years ago , but sometimes I feel that I ought to keep up with some of the comings and goings in the world , ....but the obsurdity of the situation allways hits me in the heart , and I wish I hadnt listened .

to me part of the feeling of depression and boredom comes from a feeling of powerlessness , ...and not understanding our position in life , ....it is often not our fault , but a consequence of how society has developed in the west .

for me this is why I prefer to live a dharmic and devotional life , ....saddly I think many comunities in the west have lost the plot and allong with the rise in irriligion there is increased selfishness and alienation , we do not function properly as a society , therefore there is boredom and depression especialy for those who do not fit in to any particular social group .

can I ask which tradition within hinduism you follow or feel attracted to ?
    it sounds from this post that you have been reading a lot , reading is very important , but we need to ballance knowledge and wisdom with action ,(practice) otherwise I think we can become fatigued with just studying .

Jai sri Krsna

Quote Originally Posted by deafAncient View Post
    ..NOT GOING to find out what this means).
    Namaskar,

I understand why not, but wish I were there so I could. What a curious thing. I recently found out there's a deeply universalist form of Baptist now too. Or maybe they're not new. Whatever. It just made me stop and blink, it seems like an oxymoron. Which of course makes me curious.

Regardless, I'm really glad you found a Temple! I wonder if that one is part of the Hindu Temples of America, (I think that's the name of the group)? The one I go to when I'm in South Florida is and it's wonderful, and there's one about an hour north west of me that I've intended to visit.

I'm very happy for you!

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Namaskāra!

It's hard to say what sampradāya I want to go to. Right now, it seems to be in this order - Brahman Nirākāra (my own thing that I understand), Shakti, Gāṇapatya, then Advaita Vendānta, though that might change in a hurry when I find more information. I'm still learning about what fits my worldview. The Hindu Temple of The Woodlands doesn't appear to be a member of the Hindu Temples of America (I googled the latter and couldn't even find a link for it). It's medium-sized and rather modest compared to other temples I have seen in Texas. They are working to expand it over time. This is one I will be going to from now on, assuming I can plant roots here in the community.
    Last edited by deafAncient; 06 June 2015 at 04:36 PM.

Namaskāra everyone,

Today was a great day at the temple. I saw my new friend, who's the manager of the temple, and then the kitchen supervisor about volunteering next week. There's going to be a fantastic weekend on the weekend of the 20th-21st of June, starting on Friday the 19th in the evening. I think I will go to temple on both days for all day. Anyhow, I had a great time today, paying my obesiences to Gaṇesha, Viṣṇu, Balaji, Durga, and Radha-Kṛṣṇa among others, and then came prasadam, where I met more people. The Welcome Center is being built on-site, and the manager said it owuld be 2-3 months before it's completed. I'm excited about this new leg in my life.

Vannakkam: This is encouraging. I hope it al works out, and you can use seva to relieve boredom. Not all temples are as accommodating. Do they have a general public bulletin board? Maybe a devotee who lives close to temple can rent you a small room nearby, and you can spent 20 hours a week there.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Good to hear about this encouraging development. Hope it all works out to your satisfaction and to the mutual benefit of both you and the temple.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 07 June 2015 at 11:10 PM.

Thread Information