Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boredom

Re: Boredom

Quote Originally Posted by deafAncient View Post
    Yes, I did find a temple. I went there for the first time on Sunday and met the manager there at the Hindu Temple of The Woodlands in Texas. I will be going there every Sunday, even though it is a 40 minute drive each way (I'm out in the country, where I'm the only Sanātani out there
    Namaste
    Hindu Temple of the Woodlands --- is that the Chaar Dhaam Mandir? You are blessed. The lady whose inspiration and bhakti (devotion) was behind its formation was bedridden where family had no hopes and when asked for last wish she said "I want to do chaar dhaam yatra" Her husband, although willing to do anything, wondered how this will be possible. That lady is back on her feet today thanks to Govinda KAnhA GhanaShyAmsundar, SacchidAnanda rUpAya vishwatpatI.

Chaar Dhaam (4 holy pilgrimage places -- teertha) : BadrinAth, Jagannath Puri, Shri DwArkA, RAmeshwar
    Deities in a full-fledged Chaar Dhaam Mandir in Pune (I haven't been to this one in Woodlands)
    -- Centre Front : SheshashAyI BhagvAn VishNu (NArAyaN) with Lakshmi (And Shesha of course) ------------------> [BadrinAth / VaikunTha]
    -- DwArkAdheesh (4 armed Shri KRshNa as Lord of Dwarka) ----------------------> [DwarkA]
    -- JagannAth Baldev SubhadrA --------------------> [JagannAth PurI]
    -- RAm LakshmaN SItA ------------------------> [Rameshwar]
    -- RAdhA KRshNa -----------------------------> [Vraja DhAm]
    -- Devi DurgA
    -- GAyatrI MAtA
    -- Vishwaroop -- Sahasra shira ... (thousand limbed Universal form of the Lord) -----------------> [Universe]
    -- Vitthal - RukmiNi (Shri KRshNa and RukmiNi ---------------------------------> [PanDharpUr]

Gurujan mUrtis : Adi ShankarAchArya and a few others -- Swamiji whose followers built that white marble VaikunTha

------
    Hare KRshNa Ratikalaji

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: This is encouraging. I hope it al works out, and you can use seva to relieve boredom. Not all temples are as accommodating. Do they have a general public bulletin board? Maybe a devotee who lives close to temple can rent you a small room nearby, and you can spent 20 hours a week there.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namskāra Eastern mind,

They were very happy to hear my desire to help in the kitchen. The room renting is a good idea, but I won't have the money for it, not to mention that I own my house in the form of a travel trailer, and the RV parks are not that close by, as I recall. I would have to check again, as I wasn't in that immediate area this past winter. I will attempt to get work going by the end of the year at the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Namaste
    Hindu Temple of the Woodlands --- is that the Chaar Dhaam Mandir?

No, it is not the same temple. Chār Dhām supposedly has started construction only this year, if not already. Hindu Temple of the Woodlands is already built, but located at a different address a few miles to the south of Chār Dhām. I didn't know about that!

Praṇāma!

Namaste DA,

I am so happy to hear of your experience! I really hope this works out for you, though I have a feeling it will. It sounds like a lovely Temple.

I may be wrong about Hindu Temples of North America - it's a non-profit foundation, CHTNA - Council of Hindu Temples of North America. I was under the impression that they helped organize the building of and fund many of the "Hindu Temple of ..." Temples that seem to be everywhere. There are a lot of smaller Temples and a few larger ones named for and dedicated to specific deities/sects but there are so many with the name "Hindu Temple of...", and I am aware of a definite link between a few of them, so I thought maybe they might all be linked. I see no indication of that on most Temple websites though. Not sure they would put a link to the org, but not sure why they wouldn't either.

Anyway, my apologies for the confusion. Congratulations on finding a Temple and community that you feel happy in, and best wishes going forward.

~Pranam
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 09 June 2015 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Typo
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Namaste,

I would think that CHTNA is an umbrella group that different temples become members of by paying their yearly (or lifetime) membership dues and only then are invited to participate in any events organized under the CHTNA banner. So, it is an optional thing for every temple. Temples are all individual community oriented and community controlled entities and are not organized in terms of financing or helping each other out. Temples are a reflection of the different shades of the religion itself - each one is independent and is not controlled by outsiders.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 10 June 2015 at 12:53 AM.

Namaskāra Aanandinii,

No, it is not a member of that umbrella group. I spied yet another temple on that web page, located in the southwest of Houston, opposite side of town from me, so it's too far of a drive. However, I did see a fantastic opportunity to connect with people during Rath Yatra next month in downtown! I want to see this!

Vannakkam: I think it's the same umbrella group that organises the annual Hindu Mandir Executives Conference. But in Dallas itself, I've heard that the first temple is now sort of the Mother temple, and gives lots of assistance to any other temple to get it going, including money.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Deaf Ancient,

but I get "puzzled out," after spending several days assembling online jigsaw puzzles of temples, deities, sacred images (my form of devotion)
    Could you provide a link to this please.

On the topic of boredom, this can be a wonderful thing if we have some energy for introspective meditation, although not easy I find when I have nothing to then its just good to do nothing and see the process of the mind, how it wants and craves, how it creates images of self, how the mind jumps around, but what I noticed is that usually when one feels bored its because one has nothing to do, so I thought why not do nothing, the true Self is fully satisfied within its own nature, and does not need any props , or so they say, so activity is a creation or a super imposition on our original nature.

Ys

Md

Namaste,

....activity is a creation or a super imposition on our original nature.
    That would be a good slogan for introducing all the couch potatoes in US to Hinduism.

Pranam.

Smile Re: Boredom

Quote Originally Posted by markandeya 108 dasa View Post
    Namaste Deaf Ancient,

Could you provide a link to this please. [jigsaw puzzle web site - DA]

Md
    It is www.jigidi.com

Create your account, as it's free. You can either pick a puzzle and piece-count (even whether all pieces are oriented in all directions or top-end of the piece facing the top of the monitor only, and the general shape of the pieces), or you can go to google and put in a search phrase, like "women in India," "Hanuman Temple," "India mandir," "ganesha murti," etc., and select using the tools image sizes (the bigger or higher the MP size the higher the piece count you might get, but don't go for very high file sizes, as jigidi can't seem to handle photos above a file size and you would have to reduce the size to a certain point. Select the photo, be sure to see the photo in its actual size or view, and then download it to your computer.

Logged in at jigidi, you click on create, which takes you through a two-step process - 1) select the file on your computer and 2) how many pieces you want, from 12 pieces to a max of 540 pieces, depending on the size and dimensions of the file.

There are MILLIONS or billions to contemplate on. When I tire of reading (or feel full from such reading), this is one thing I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

That would be a good slogan for introducing all the couch potatoes in US to Hinduism.

Pranam.
    We are all Hindus. It is a matter of eventually realizing it. :-)

Thread Information