Thread: Energy, shakti, sannidhya

Threaded View

Energy, shakti, sannidhya

Vannakkam: As most people who know me here, I'm a bit of a temple nut. Energy at temples fascinates me. Some days it feels stronger than others, some temples feel stronger, or different. People have differing experiences. There has to be a lot at play. One of the things that fascinates me the most is differences between people.

Once I asked a Swami how come one person feels it more than the other. He told me there were 3 main factors at play, but also more.

1) The general openness of the person to be able to feel it. (Apparently some people can't feel it.)
    2) The personal relationship of that particular deity to that individual. (Clearly people of a particular sect or sampradaya will be drawn to that deity. A Murugan bhaktar will feel it more at Murugan temples, while a Sri Vaishava will feel it more at a Venkateswara temple, while a Kali Shaktite gets more at the local Kali Mandir)
    3) The astrology of the day, or the general astrology.

Some of the other factors that I could think of are:
    - illness, or general feeling (tiredness) of the devotee (I usually feel it more if I'm tired, but definitely not if I'm sick.)
    - the age of the temple
    - the devotional level of other devotees present
    - what you're there for, your praying concentration level
    - crowd or no crowd
    - the commitment or dedication of the priesthood
    - familiarity (this can go both ways - sometime walking into a 'strange' temple for the very first time can be 'awakening' and in a very familiar temple, you can relax enough to get into it
    - how the temple got established (as a business, by a need in the community, by mystic vision)
    - location of the temple, it's setting (in the middle of a city, on a hill surrounded by rice paddies)

Thoughts? Any more factors?

I can also get 'weird' unsettling energy at some temples. Last year Boss and I went to all the temples we could find in Vancouver (13 to be precise). There are only 4 that I want to go back to, the energy conducive to my personal taste/needs

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by satay; 04 June 2015 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Fixed title

Thread Information