Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hindu or none ... the new choice.

Re: Hindu or none ... the new choice.

Namaste Everyone,

According to me the young generation both in India and US do not know what they mean when they say they are "free thinkers", this means that religious people are not free thinkers. Since Hinduism is counted as a religion the adherents of this religions are not "free thinkers".

This is an absolutely stupid argument, 1stly Hinduism is not a religion it is a Dharma, Dharma is a non translatable and I believe there is no English equivalent to this word.

Have any of you asked your kids "Could you please define Hinduism for me ?". You will see how many mistakes these people will start making. You could expose their ignorance.

I realise that the academics treat Hinduism as merely a belief but not as an alternative way to explore reality.

Even the Bhakti within Hinduism cannot be compared to the devotion of God in the Abrahamic faiths, since these faiths are mostly interested in escaping hell and going to heaven.

But within the Hindu tradition the Bhakta has ahetuka Bhakti, which means the love for the Lord or Ishwara has no reason, the Bhakta does not even mind going through all sorts of hell, but would just like to think of his beloved Ishwara. The Bhakta does not ask questions but simply loves Ishwara and see everything as his play.

This is Bhakti, Bhakti knows no fear. Similarly even the agnostic scientist Carl Segan is simply impressed by the Nasadiya Suktam of the Vedas.

So what is Hinduism? this question should be asked to the young generation.

Infact these Atheist type scientists are so idiotic that Sam Harris made a statement that the belief in reincarnation encouraged the suicide bombers of LTTE to go ahead.

Hence the young generation is mostly people who give the impression of being quite intelligent but in reality are not so smart.

Lets face it we as Hindus have not tried to build any institutions or seminaries which encourages the study of our own Dharma, we are too cowardly to look at other faiths from the critical perspective. We have forgotten to do Purvapaksha on other philosophies (non Dharmic) . Now we are sitting here and having this discussion.

We as hindus are more interested in going into the temples and doing Puja but we are not interested in building Yoga Centres which are completely based on he Hindu philosophy and then showing Yoga to be a brand of Hinduism.

Infact the West and other religions are digesting our philosophy and Yoga, into Christian Yoga, neuroscience as well as transcendentalism. Sam Harris is also doing the same.

We like it if a Westerner praises our Dharma, infact many of our organisations are merely stuck in personality worship. We as Hindus are not interested in the principles of our own Dharma but are more interested in what our Gurus say. ofcourse nothing wrong, but my point is that we must stick to principles rather than personalities.

Hence let us not blame the media or the idiotic secularists, we as Hindus have been sleeping and do not know how to market our own Dharma. Infact Buddhism knows how to market itself and people are showing interest to it. But Hinduism as a whole has not tried to market itself, or brand itself. This our fault.

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    No worries Virajaji. Because Bhagvat-krupA (blessings) is being showered on him, and since you have brought him up your son will be a good citizen of the United States, the Americas, the world, the Universe, and also a good person of Indian Origin to those in India.
    This is what makes children beautiful after all. His American friends also shape him.
    When your son is 28 or 30 he will calm down and his outward search will slow down. Then he will open your Bhagvad Gita, Ramayan, Shloka, bhajans, and his feet will be attracted to the mandir of BhagavAn.

17. jis desh me, jis bhesh me, parivesh me raho
    radha-ramaN radha-ramaN radha-ramaN kaho

pa ma ga sa gama ga sa ga ma pa ma ga ga re sa re sa ni

jis gaon me jis khet me khalihan me raho

jis rang me jis dhang me jis sanga me raho

jis dhaam me jis kaam me jis naam me raho

jis baag me jis haal me jis chaal me raho

jis aan me jis paan me jis shaan me raho

~*~
    Listen to bhajan here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kLY...layer_embedded

~*~
    Respected Smaranam ji,

Thank you for your beautiful and kind note. Much appreciated. Like you said, our parenting style has not been around teaching core values of religion (unfortunately we missed on this one), nevertheless being his role model and having had opportunity to interact with him, we made sure he grasped the 'essence' of Sanathana Dharmam eventually, which is showing respect, consideration and tolerance to all, realizing the importance of hard work and truthfulness, etc.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    you can't expect me to believe that
    If you can't believe the Believer, then Believer asks, who else can you believe?
    Anyway in India, Hinduism is in the air, in the food, in its water, in its soil, in its flowers, in its trees, in its temples, in its people and everyone gets imbued with it even without trying; but here things are very different. Success at indoctrination is not guaranteed even with a concerted effort. They may grow up to be good human beings with good values and high moral standards sans the God factor.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 21 June 2015 at 12:19 AM.

Namaste,

Being a teenager raised abroad, I found it difficult to reconnect with my Indian and Hindu culture. Naturally many children like me, confused about their beliefs and religion, unfortunately only hear other religions speaking strongly of their beliefs but unable to speak of theirs because of a lack of knowledge.
    When your son is 28 or 30 he will calm down and his outward search will slow down. Then he will open your Bhagvad Gita, Ramayan, Shloka, bhajans, and his feet will be attracted to the mandir of BhagavAn.
    I agree with this quote smaranam because this is how I returned to Hinduism, such a rich and wonderful culture I had no clue about! The good thing is that no one is forced to learn anything in Hinduism, it's only when a person is 'ripe' to learn the teachings that they turn to Sanatana Dharma etc. On the other hand, there are many children who are not aware of their roots - maybe if they were, it would inculcate more virtues in them?

Dhanavad,
    FollowerJunior
    Last edited by FollowerJunior; 22 June 2015 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Better wording

My love to India and Hinduism let the wish grow to become a Hindu.

Everyone told me that is impossible.

One day in 2003 I came in contact with books from Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami.

https://www.himalayanacademy.com/vie...become-a-hindu
    I learned, it is possible.

Namaste Indialover,

I feel good for your decision to pursue what you wanted sincerely. It is indeed possible, you are a living example of it, right?

Pranam

Yes follower12, I think I am a living example ... and there are many many more who follow Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami. I was on pilgrimage withe this community in Tamil Nadu in 2004 and met so many converted Hindus. Some change their name completely. That was what I wanted too, but it is not allowed in Germany. So I have only Abirami as a third first Name in my passport. In Christianity we have two firstnames, a name and a name from a godparent.

But there is a small 'but' ... even I feel as to be a Hindu I am not allowed to enter temples which are closed for non-Hindus. The clergy does not accept someone like me ... and at the end they are right, you must be born into this religion, you cannot really adapt it, to deep are the roots, you must get it with the mothers milk not from books.

Anyhow I am happy with what I did - it gave me personal satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    Yes follower12, I think I am a living example ... and there are many many more who follow Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami. I was on pilgrimage withe this community in Tamil Nadu in 2004 and met so many converted Hindus. Some change their name completely. That was what I wanted too, but it is not allowed in Germany. So I have only Abirami as a third first Name in my passport. In Christianity we have two firstnames, a name and a name from a godparent.

But there is a small 'but' ... even I feel as to be a Hindu I am not allowed to enter temples which are closed for non-Hindus. The clergy does not accept someone like me ... and at the end they are right, you must be born into this religion, you cannot really adapt it, to deep are the roots, you must get it with the mothers milk not from books.

Anyhow I am happy with what I did - it gave me personal satisfaction.
    Vannakkam: I'm one of them, that you refer to above. Time, time and more time makes you all the more acceptable. It's a matter of getting used to it from both sides. I have yet to be refused entry to any temple, and if I did, it wouldn't really matter. I pulled my papers once at Madurai, and was allowed in right away.

If you pick one of the Sri Lankan style temples close to you, and just keep going all the time, they'll readily accept you. That's my situation ... here in Canada.

If you went on Innersearch, then we probably know people in common.

Aum Namasivaya

Vanakkam Eastern Mind,
    yes, there are some exceptions, but they do not depend on papers.

Madurai is easy to enter, they do not really control. I have the impression they just want to keep out Western tourists in tops and shorts - I appreciate. Dressed in a punjabi nobody noticed me.

In Rameshvaram I entered with a priest who was a friend of a priest doing service in Germany. Even for him it was not easy to justify at the entrance that he wants to bring me into the temple.

Most easy to enter is the sanctum in Cidambaram – money alone is enough.

In Varanasi they have a board where you can apply. They are very friendly and open minded. I was allowed to enter with a guide for a very short period.

I really must confess I had not a good feeling in Rameshvaram and in Varanasi. They wanted to be polite, but they had remorse.

Sure, the first time, when I arrived in Bhubaneshvar (very proud!) with my papers and was rejected, I shed tears. The second try in vain was Puri, I got angry like Durvasa.

Meantime I calmed down, accept it as it is.

One of the most uplifting experience I had in Peling, a small village in Sikkim, in a simple tent – I never will forget this Durga puja, done by two priests from Nepal.

I learned the following: Emotions do not depend on a building.

Dhanyavad

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    In Rameshvaram I entered with a priest who was a friend of a priest doing service in Germany. Even for him it was not easy to justify at the entrance that he wants to bring me into the temple.

Most easy to enter is the sanctum in Cidambaram – money alone is enough.

In Varanasi they have a board where you can apply. They are very friendly and open minded. I was allowed to enter with a guide for a very short period.

I really must confess I had not a good feeling in Rameshvaram and in Varanasi. They wanted to be polite, but they had remorse.

Sure, the first time, when I arrived in Bhubaneshvar (very proud!) with my papers and was rejected, I shed tears. The second try in vain was Puri, I got angry like Durvasa.

Meantime I calmed down, accept it as it is.

One of the most uplifting experience I had in Peling, a small village in Sikkim, in a simple tent – I never will forget this Durga puja, done by two priests from Nepal.

I learned the following: Emotions do not depend on a building.
    Namaste Abirami ji,

I am saddened to read this. I hope one day in this birth to see all the Jyotirlingams. Maybe that might still happen, but each time I read experiences like this I think it's more likely that I have seen the one I had to and that is all I will see. Does it matter? Perhaps not, but then yatra to such places is such a large part of Hindu belief and culture that it's hard to tear away the idea that yes, it does indeed matter. 'If it is meant to happen it will', certainly. But if one is able to get there, (sometimes a miracle in itself), and are turned away, even with papers such as yours or EM ji's, it diminishes things in a way. I don't mean the good diminishing of the ego of the individual in question, it's hard to put into words.

If any person is lucky enough to be able to make the journey and especially if they correctly approach such a sacred place, sometimes over miles on bare feet etc., to then be turned away after all of that, for whatever reason, it feels to me as if it actually lessens the holiness of the location, as people are then forced to feel it is indeed not so important or they would have been allowed after all of that. I completely understand wanting to keep out tourists, but someone on pilgrimage and presenting themselves appropriately should be easy to pick out from the groups of people in shorts carrying cameras and cellphones. Particularly when one carries papers. And what of the non-believing tourists who happen to be Hindustani? It's not a new argument, I know.

In another thread Ram ji mentions Acharyas who have gone abroad not being allowed into inner sanctums, as if they are now somehow corrupt. Again, I'm surprised and saddened. And yet some of these same places can be paid enough to look the other way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    I have yet to be refused entry to any temple, and if I did, it wouldn't really matter. I pulled my papers once at Madurai, and was allowed in right away.
    My deepest respect to you, EM ji, but I have to point out that the situation is not really the same for you. It will be easier for you simply because your form is male.

You are right of course, perhaps it doesn't matter. But then I ask why all this emphasis on important yatras, holy places that must be visited, why glorify their benefits and the necessity to do it if it doesn't really matter. I've been to a couple of places here at home where I have had strong experiences too, one has an Acharya Pandit who I am now sad for because if he ever gets to go home, it seems he will be considered impure. But the ages and ages and ages of built up energy from countless aartis and pujas and arcanas and yagyas and vedic chants, centuries of monastic practice and bhakti focused in one place... This is not something I will find here at home. So there is indeed a loss, to all of us. Does it diminish my belief, my faith, my love of Bhagavan? No. It makes me sad for Humanity and diminishes my faith in those who are supposed to be wiser. It diminishes the importance and significance of such sites, because "In the end it doesn't really matter". It isn't a good thing to promote the feeling of "Why Bother" in any devotees, and it shouldn't happen. Just one more example of the darkness of Kaliyuga.

I am sorry if I have offended any in saying any of this and hope that if so it is forgivable. This kind of subject always makes my heart hurt. Usually I can successfully let it go and avoid putting my metaphorical foot in my mouth. Not today, it seems.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Thread Information