Thread: Canada's day of reckoning

Canada's day of reckoning

Re: Canada's day of reckoning

Namaskāra Believer,

My great-grandmother and grandmother, being Cherokees, related some of their boarding school experiences to my Dad. The former went to school around 1872-1882, and the latter 20 years later. Dad recalled that a teacher accompanied him home one day, and upon the front door opening and Grandmother walking out, the teacher turned right around and walked away from the house. It's a very difficult thing and still pulls at me, because I never got to know intimately about my Cherokee heritage in the first person sense. Trust me, I tried to get into the Cherokee beliefs, only to find that it was hopelessly contaminated with post-Contact influences from Christianity, not to mention that 85% of the Cherokee enrollees out west (Western Nation is in Oklahoma) is Baptist, the rest being other Christian denominations, with a handful reportedly practicing the Native beliefs, impossible to track down because they don't want to get wiped out, controlled, etc. I had to let it go, being a huge loss to me. This is why I have such a strong, strident attitude about Christians and my immediately going on the defensive when confronted by Christians (Jehova's Witnesses knocking on my door, for instance).

Vannakkam: I'm embarrassed to be a Canadian, when it comes to the treatment of First Nations Peoples. It still goes on too, but of course they(church, government, etc. do their best to hide it). Education is an example. All education, except for the First Nations, is the responsibility of our provinces. The average grant to school boards per student per annum is $11 500. This covers teacher's salary, some portions of books, the school buildings, administration etc. The money comes from general revenue, in each province, and some of that comes from federal to province grant.

First Nations students, whose education responsibility is solely federal get a mere $6 500 in comparison, slightly over half. Less textbooks, higher class sizes, fewer library books, run-down schools, etc.

The UN once said Canada's First Nations were worse off than blacks during apartheid in South Africa. It's totally shameful, yet our country continues to vote for governments that don't care, too busy with international war-mongering.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste ji,

The US may be worse than Canada, I'm not sure if Canada engages in the continued suppression and cultural programming tactics the US still engages in, in some states. But most people don't know about it because it's never publicized. We will have our own day of reckoning eventually too, and it will make the current racism scandals in this country look like child's play.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Thread Information