Thread: Controlling heart rate

Controlling heart rate

Namaskāra everyone,

I'm reading another paper from the Mandala web site in regards to "The Gods Within (on the Vedic understanding of mind and neuroscience):"

http://www.infinityfoundation.com/ma...s_frameset.htm

Here, this article talks about Vedic understanding of the eight cognitive centers, or devas. Then it goes into various unusual mind states and mental conditions that prove that material mind does have an impact on the body's ability to do functions, like reading writing, comprehension of stimuli, and seeing a pile of sticks and counting accurately how many are there in one second without even touching the pile, etc., while there are other ways of teasing out consciousness to prove that it is there even though it can't be materially manifest at the time. But more importantly for me, one thing jumped out at me.

"This model is quite attractive but it has fundamental difficulties. First, the blindsight patient is conscious, although he may not be conscious of certain images in his field of vision. Second, there are activities which are performed automatically of which we are not conscious. Some of these can be brought under the ambit of conscious control with varying degree of difficulty. As examples consider breathing or heartbeat, of which breathing is easily controlled and heartbeat can be controlled only by yogic adepts."

This paragraph is referring to a patient who, although blind in a certain part of his visual field (left or right side) after brain surgery, performed in CCTV tests, as though he was not blind and was surprised to be shown his ability to reach for objects correctly.

My point is that last sentence in regards to yogic adepts. "Heartbeat rate can be controlled only by yogic adepts." What? Are you serious? Is this accurate? I thought most people could do it! I don't know what it is, but when I think about my heartbeat while undistracted, I feel the heartbeat within me and lock in with it first. I feel some kind of awareness or sensation when I "turn it on," located somewhere in the chest region, which instructs the heart to slow down for some time, and then when I let go of that sensation, the heart returns to beating at a normal rate. I don't know how most people would not be able to do this, as I've done this since I was a child. I would do this in front of a doctor, as soon as a doctor steps in to check my BP and heart rate, and my heart rate would drop within a few seconds.

I'm very curious!
    Praṇāma

Re: Controlling heart rate

Namaste DA,

Interesting synchronicity between the threads we've posted today.

My view is that learning control of heart rate when in a meditation state is fairly easy. In time and with practice it's not all that hard to learn to do it during daily activities. It becomes a bit more difficult again to remain consciously in control of heart rate all day long while doing every single thing you do in a day.

But these are on a different level entirely than a yogic master who can remain in control of heart rate, blood pressure, and even blood distribution when confronted with danger, or under exertion or physical stress, or even great pain.

These last do take an accomplished master to maintain. I once had the good fortune to see a demonstration of such control. The yogi who showed his skill was able to flush one whole side of his torso and face while the other side paled. And then he switched the sides, then directed flush down his arms. Recording instruments could have been tampered with, but I don't believe they were. I have seen similar demonstrations from Tai Chi Chuan and Qigong experts as well. Such mastery is amazing.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Thread Information