Thread: Shivas Ganas

Shivas Ganas

What are the most prominent Ganas in Lord Shivas army ?

Re: Shivas Ganas

Vannakkam: This assumes Shiva has an army, which limits it to Puranic legends, the anthropomorphised version. I personally don't think Shiva has an army. We fight our own battles against the lower instincts with help from God, Gods, and common sense.

Aum Namasivaya

Anyone else? Por favor?

Quote Originally Posted by PestThurse View Post
    What are the most prominent Ganas in Lord Shivas army ?
    Namaste Ji,

There is no army as such but many deities are part of Lord Shiva's retinue.Main Ones among them are:Lord Shiva's consort Devi Uma Parvati,His sons Devasenapati Sri Skanda,Sri Ganadhipati(Ganesha),Sri Durga Bhagavati,Lord Virabhadra and Goddess MahaKali,Lord Nandi and Sri Brungi.
    There are many more deities and beings in Lord Shiva's abode.May I know the purpose,if you want more information,I'll check the Puranic literature I have.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Army was maybe not the right word. Some ganas as small aspects of Lord Shiva or ghost and demons as his servants...
    Maybe christian remains in my thinking. I love this clear hierachy: God, Archangels, Angels... (Shiva, Ganesha, Virabhadra, some Bhutas...) Something like that.
    No angelogy but "ganalogy". Helps me to get in to the things. Understandable?

Vannakkam: Different schools within Saivism, and outside of Saivism would view this differently. There are the six main traditional Saiva schools, Puranic Hinduism, Sanatani Hinduism, Smartas who worship Siva as their Ishta Devata, and other non-Saiva schools who still have a view of Siva somehow.

So that makes the question a rather complicated one, because there would just be too many answers. There is nothing definitively correct.

I can only give you my current understanding, (and it's probably unclear, or would be debated by someone who sees it differently) which is from monistic Saiva Siddhanta, the Nandinatha Sampradaya in particular.

Siva's two main helpers are Murugan and Ganesha. Shakti isn't a helper in the same sense because that's Siva's manifest energy, not something 'different'. Being emanations of Siva, Murugan and Ganesha are both 'separate', yet ultimately the same, at the same time.

There are also countless lesser beings, including souls between births, specific devas for specific jobs, Ganesha's helpers, Murugan's helpers, etc. They are important as a group, but not as individuals like Ganesha and Murugan are.

I hesitate to compare it to Christianity, as I know so little about Christianity, and comparison wouldn't be fitting. Kind of like comparing my city to a city I know nothing about. Unless one had the mystic sight to actually see all this happening, it would only be conjecture at best.

Yes, I believe it's very accurate and insightful of you to recognise that during the process of switching paradigms, we often tend to resort to our existing subconscious rather than the one being acquired or built. After all, that's often all we have. But is it accurate? Who knows? Certainly it's done.

Until now, I have never heard of Virabhadra of Brungi.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information