Thread: Your Favorite Saints,Masters,Scholars,Devotees?

Your Favorite Saints,Masters,Scholars,Devotees?

Namaste,All of us like different saints,Acharyas,Panditas,masters and devotees of God.Some member's favorite Guru might be Sri Adi Shankaracharya.Can members tell which spiritual/religious persons they follow/respect and any reason why you admire him/her?My list:1.Sri Bharati Tirtha MahaSwami,Sringeri Shankaracharya(incumbent)- A great acharya as well as a scholarI respect these noble ones:1.Sri Chandrashekarendra Saraswati Swami,Kanchi Paramacharya(1894-1994)2.Sri Sivaya Subramuniya Swami,Kauai Adheenam(1927-2001)
    Last edited by Ram11; 05 September 2015 at 04:58 AM.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Re: Your Favorite Saints,Masters,Scholars,Devotees?

Upto the age of 10 my favorite Master was Shiva . MY father worshiped Shiva
    Upto the age of 15 my favorite Master was Krishna and i was made to read Mahabharat
    epic everyday by my mother
    Later I shifted to Guru Nanik as my wife was His ardent follower.

At he age of 55 Guatam Buddha appeared in my meditation.
    Since last 24 years every day I am taught some WISDOMS by Guatam Buddha in meditation.
    I have now become a Master myself of all the sutras of Hinayana/Therwada/Mahayana.
    I am now also Master of LOTUS SUTRA ,,,of which even the lifelong buddhist disciples are ignorant.

What a journey!

Namaste Ram Ji

I hope all is well with you

What a nice reflection and chance to give gratitude to those that deeply inspire us, and reflect the infulence. I have been inspired by so many and long may it continue. I could never really say who is my favorite as each one has a specific but unified role in my study and practice.

I should start with my Diksha Guru H.H Bhakti Svarupa Damodar Swami, always an example to me, his kind gentle manner, his ability to treat all that he met equally, his dedication to his own guru and tradition, but at the same time was always open minded allowing anyone to equally express their view. A true gentleman and Vaishnava. For me personally his qualities are endless.

I started with The Buddha and although not strictly a Buddhist I have a nice Tibetan Murti, which is stamped at the bottom by the monks who made it on my alter. The Buddha to me represents so many things, calmness, insight, wisdom. So the teachings and what the Buddha represents are an important reminder and I am still learning from Him and his teachings. The depth and clarity of his teachings remain a constant inspiration. I have learned from many Buddhist teachers, each have a unique way of teaching, but perhaps in many ways I think the main teacher that inspired me is Master Kusan Sunim, who taught the Koan of what is it, this worked on many levels for me, both introspectively and how I approach the study side in my readings.

I am always deeply appreciative of A.C Bhaktivedenta Swami Prabhupada, he had so many qualities, he was brave to speak out against some things that may be seen as taboo in some so called spiritual circles, he was fearless but at the same time with his devotees and people he met he was very gentle and loving, although he sometimes comes across as strict and blunt I think most of what he said came from a loving place. I admit openly that with some of his teachings I have a problem, but I also see purpose and a wider picture, the same goes for ISKCON. Prabhupada gave me Bhagavad Gita and introduced to me to a whole new world and has opened many doors, and I have met some wonderful devotees who are very special people. What ever issues I have I know they will be resolved in time and what needs to be retained will be and what needs to be dropped will be.

I read and have interest in many different sources, everyone has something offer, even its its one sentence, I don't consider myself the center of the universe and so this helps me not to really build up any aversion to how the teachings inspire others, so even the differences of others opinions can be a teaching, unless they are talking absolute rubbish but even then isn't ignorance then a form of teaching.

More and more I am developing a better understanding and deeper appreciation of Sri Adi Shankara and the teachings of Advaita and many of the yoga systems. Patanjali Muni who speaks for himself in his yoga sutras.

Sri Dattatreya with is his teaching of the 24 gurus, seeing a teaching in everything, same as Milarepa. Part of my prayer is I want to be taught at every moment, see the teachings in all things, not just in books but in every moment of life and be more awake, see Sri Krsna in everything, sometimes in hidden forms and other times in his full majesty. Recently I read from Ajahn Summedo where he taught how the the suffering of old age, disease and death are Devatas. Every movement, every sound and experience is a teaching, I heard a commercial English song recently and I felt the part of the Dharma just oozing out, nothing is separate its all pervading, sometimes I get glimpses.

I am slowly developing more devotion to Shiva, part of my attraction is that He is mysterious, something unique about Mahadeva, I cant really put it in words, and I like that.

Also the greatest teacher has to be gratitude for what has been learned, this further fuels depth into what has already been taught and opens up something within to know more.
    Last edited by markandeya 108 dasa; 04 July 2015 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by markandeya 108 dasa View Post
    Namaste Ram Ji

I hope all is well with you
    Namaste Markandeya Dasaji,

Thank you,I am fine and I hope you are good.

What a nice reflection and chance to give gratitude to those that deeply inspire us, and reflect the infulence. I have been inspired by so many and long may it continue. I could never really say who is my favorite as each one has a specific but unified role in my study and practice.
    The Sages of the Veda-Upanishads and Agamas,the great seers and the many saint devotees mentioned in the Puranas and Itihasas,actually,there are many wise ones who guidance is valuable but I mentioned the important teachers of recent times.

I read and have interest in many different sources, everyone has something offer, even its its one sentence, I don't consider myself the center of the universe and so this helps me not to really build up any aversion to how the teachings inspire others, so even the differences of others opinions can be a teaching, unless they are talking absolute rubbish but even then isn't ignorance then a form of teaching.
    Sometimes the most important teaching could be as you say,a short sentence or even a word.

More and more I am developing a better understanding and deeper appreciation of Sri Adi Shankara and the teachings of Advaita and many of the yoga systems. Patanjali Muni who speaks for himself in his yoga sutras.
    I hope to study Maharshi Patanjali's shastra in future.I read that Sadhana Panchakam of Sri Adi Shankaracharya is a great work,did you study it?

Sri Dattatreya with is his teaching of the 24 gurus, seeing a teaching in everything.
    I too like the narrative of the 24 gurus of Lord Dattatreya.

Part of my prayer is I want to be taught at every moment, see the teachings in all things, not just in books but in every moment of life and be more awake,. Every movement, every sound and experience is a teaching.

Also the greatest teacher has to be gratitude for what has been learned, this further fuels depth into what has already been taught and opens up something within to know more.

Thank you so much for telling about your Gurus,inspirations and sharing your insights with us.

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste Ram Jji,

I am well thank you

Yes I have read Sadhana Panchakam, and I recite it sometimes, I guess Sadhana Panchakam is a type of amalgamation of all practice, short and concise with a lot of depth.

Quote Originally Posted by markandeya 108 dasa View Post
    Namaste Ram Jji,

I am well thank you

Yes I have read Sadhana Panchakam, and I recite it sometimes, I guess Sadhana Panchakam is a type of amalgamation of all practice, short and concise with a lot of depth.
    Namaste Markandeya Dasaji,

Sadhana Panchakam seems to be a be a text with deep meaning.I found two books online having detailed explanation,one is 223 pages and other is 25 pages.I will make a new post with the pdf links as other members may find it useful.

Namaste,

Thank you for asking this question: it really helps to learn from other devotees! For now, my favorite teachings come from Swami Sivananda & Swami Chidananda from Divine Life Society. They are very easy to understand & have helped me to greatly increase my understanding on the path. As for Sri Sivaya Subramuniya Swami,Kauai Adheenam, I have read lessons from the Master Course series, and they have also taught me profound ideas. I would recommend both of them to any sincere sadhaka.

Dhanavad,
    FollowerJunior

Namaste,

The person who inspires me, the one whom I respect most is "me". I am my own favourite.

Pranam.
    A few personal experiences: chronicles-of-a-sadhak.blogspot.com

Namaste ji,

A modern day scholar, writer and poet who I quite enjoy and have learned a lot from is Shail (Shailendra) Gulhati.

The writings, audio recordings, wisdom and guidance given by Sri Gurudev Sivaya Subramuniyaswami, the continued wisdom in print and video His successor Sri Satguru Bodhinatha Veylanaswami graces us with, and the teachings they also pass on from Sri Gurudev's preceptor, Parmaguru Siva Yogaswami.

I have also found much wisdom and enjoyment in the works of Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev.

As for more traditional, older teachers, most are text and so that takes me far longer to get through, so I have not read enough of a selection to give any. However, I quite enjoy Sri Vyasa's commentaries on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras - or at least the translation I have read.

~Pranam
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 20 September 2015 at 09:23 PM. Reason: typo
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Thread Information