Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Sanatana Dharma questions

Re: Sanatana Dharma questions

Namaste knowthyenemy ji,

As posted by knowthyenemy:
    I agree with you that the wealth of Indian temples should be used for things that benefit humans. But I am not sure that it should be used to build more temples or to do bhandaras. IMO currently there is a great need to teach Hindus about their own religion.
    I agree with your opinion. You are right about the education part which is very much needed currently. The knowledge given in school helps students learn the way of earning & sustaining the family but hardly any school dedicates itself to teach student how to live life.

Yogacharya B.K.S. Iyengar said in his book " Light on Yoga" :
    The conception of a Guru is deep and significant. He is not an ordinary guide. He is a spiritual teacher who teaches a way of life, and not merely how to earn a livelihood. He transmits knowledge of the Spirit and one who receives such knowledge is a shishya, a disciple.
    I had same opinion like yours for many years that there is no need to build more temples as we already have so many. But my view got transformed after understanding the science behind constructing temples. People might be building it out of hunger of recognition or just unknowingly but it always serve a great purpose.
    A temple keeps a check on a lot of inauspicious activities & bad qualities of people who reside in its proximity. It has very positive effect on surrounding. Also religiously as well as spiritually, money spent in any form in religion never gets counted as waste or misuse. So, instead of doing grand parties with selective attendees, it is better to do bhandaras where a common feeling of brotherhood among people of different strata gets developed. These are such steps of ladder which build up a religion. If we break one or avoid maintaining even one step, religion starts vanishing. Still, education of religion is most important otherwise no one would visit temples for darshan of Bhagwan.

You are absolutely right. TV & movies can transform the face of India entirely. Sad part is directors of TV shows based on religion have started sensualising/sensitising the content with type of clothes & overall look that character wear. Male characters need not to have 6 pack abs to flaunt while female character should maintain their state in real life too or they come out as a bad example for everyone. Character playing role of Parvati Mata shall not jump on Nach Baliye with all sorts of uncensored moves. Recently, I read that the person who played Lord Shiva on a very reputed TV show is offered a role of terrorist in a film to which he responded positively. The demand of religious programs is way down as compared to the reality shows. Why I shall deny it that I too like Indian Idol Junior or Comedy Nights with Kapil.

If the commercial yoga has brought such big change in the westerners' fitness habits, imagine what non-commercial but quality knowledge of Hinduism would do to people in India!
    Correctly said. It could start from schools with puranas or veda as part of course (but the problem is that while India might be nurturing its young generation with religious knowledge, rest of the world will advance in all other fields except religion posing new economic challenges for this generation of ours) though it seems far more impossible than anything else as inertia of present education system is in different direction completely.

Pranaam.

Re: Sanatana Dharma questions

Namaste follower12 ji,

Quote Originally Posted by follower12 View Post
    it is better to do bhandaras where a common feeling of brotherhood among people of different strata gets developed...... Still, education of religion is most important otherwise no one would visit temples for darshan of Bhagwan.
    I have no problem with doing bhandaras but IMO education of Hinduism is more important. There is a great lack of such education and people are not only losing out on the great way of life developed by sages over many yugas, but they are also getting misguided into becoming hedonists or are becoming prey to Islam and missionaries.

I have looked through quite a few spiritual systems over the last 15 years or so, and the other systems barely match the personal and spiritual advancements that Sanatan Dharma provides to followers. However unlike others, Sanatan Dharma is not easy to understand, and this is why people learnt in Dharma need to team up with filmmakers and create quality educational material. Of course all his costs money and so we need to convince the wealthy temples to release money for this dharmic purpose.

The demand of religious programs is way down as compared to the reality shows.
    People are drowned in hedonism and materialism. Of course they don't care for Dharma and arts programs. Bandar kya jaane adrak ka swaad! However, quality and skillfully made film material can change the public's attitude and make them realize that humans are capable of doing much more than simply gratifying animalistic desires. The thing is, quality arts films get noticed by arts-appreciaters all over the world. Then the media spreads the news like wildfire that experts all over the world are talking about films made by other Indians, and then everyone, including non-Indians, want to watch those films. .... And this is why I insist so much on quality!

Why I shall deny it that I too like Indian Idol Junior or Comedy Nights with Kapil.
    These shows fall in their own separate category. The scriptures say that human goals include kama (enjoyment) and so there is nothing wrong with watching these shows as long as we do not ignore dharma. (This is something that we need to teach the youngsters and also follow it ourselves.)

It could start from schools with puranas or veda as part of course (but the problem is that while India might be nurturing its young generation with religious knowledge, rest of the world will advance in all other fields except religion posing new economic challenges for this generation of ours) though it seems far more impossible than anything else as inertia of present education system is in different direction completely.
    The education system, as currently designed in Indian public schools, falls under Artha. I don't think they should provide any more than basic knowledge of Hinduism. The real Dharmic knowledge should be provided by religious organizations. Once again, I cannot think of a better (and smarter) way to provide this knowledge through well made films and videos.

Pranaam.

Thread Information