Thread: Tied and untied hair

Tied and untied hair

In Mahabharata Draupadi said, that she will tie her hair again after she had bathed it in Dushasanas blood.

What is the significance of tied or untied hair?

Re: Tied and untied hair

Namaste Abirami Ji,

In the Great Epic Mahabharata,we know what happened with Panchali/Draupadi.She was humiliated in the court by the Kauravas.Duryodhana told his brother Dushshashan to bring her to the court as she was now their Dasi/Servant because the Pandavas had lost her in a Game which was not a Game but Adharma.Duryodhana told him that if she comes willingly then it is ok but if she doesn't to bring her by might.And being faithful to his brother,Dushshashan did the same.Draupadi resisted but couldn't as Dushshashan dragged her by her hair to the court and we all know what followed.Dushshan tried to disrobe her.She again tried to help herself but when she knew it was to no avail,she began praying to the Supreme One Shri Hari Krishna and he came to her aid and her dignity was saved.

Now in case of Draupadi,she was the queen of Pandavas and this kind of a behavior took place with a Queen,then how were the common women of that princely state safe.If a queen was subjected to such kind of a treatment then what could happen with the common women.Draupadi vowed that she wouldn't wear the Chudamani (A Crown) until she washed her hair with the blood of Dushshasan.It was a mode of getting back her dignity and restoring her pride.This was just an insight I wanted to say before answering to your question.

Now in our families too,we have a norm that we should not touch the hair of women/girls as it is disrespectful to them.I think this custom started in the lines of the Epic Mahabharata.But it is a custom that women/girls should not go out of the house with untied hair as some evil spirit or something might catch her.I have no idea if it is true or anything but it is what I have heard in many families.I think the elder members will have a better answer to this.I shared what I knew.

Dhanyavad
    Hari bol

Namaste Indialover ji,

I think that is said so because Draupadi's kesh were touched by a man who was not his husband, which in turn impurified her character according to the custom. So, in turn she vowed to purify them with his blood & then tie them. (A tone of revenge appears there, as a high order female saint forgives whatever is done to her due to her innate nature of forgiveness).
    Also, there was/is a system in which females untie(d) their hairs on account of relative's death or other extreme shok(sadness). The Vanvaas given to Pandavas was an extreme shok because it was not based on dharma but adharma & kapat as played by Shakuni. This can also be one of the reason why Draupadi kept it untied throughout Vanvaas.

Sometimes, when I ponder over such incidents as portrayed in different scriptures, it seems that women in past were noble and extremely powerful to take such vows & follow it without a slack while when I look at their present state, they seem more weaker with all that 'women empowerment' stuff making them even more insecure and weak as it is said person strenthens only when he faces adverse circumstances.

Pranam.

Namaste,

thank you both for your answers. Yes, follower12, women forgot that they are Shakti ... now I see Draupadi from another few.

Indialover,

There are several practical uses for tying one's hair. Long hair can catch fire or get tangled up in physical objects.
    This is why most science classrooms tell students with long hair to tie it back for safety.
    Those who work in the food industry are required to wear nets to prevent their hair from falling into the food.

A search through the text of the Mahabharata would reveal a reason, assuming one is explicitly stated.
    In the absence of a text search, we can only guess what Draupadi's motivations were.
    Perhaps she saw that she would only persist on alms, and therefore saw no reason to worry about food safety?

Thread Information