Thread: Kalpa Chakra

Kalpa Chakra

Namaste everyone,

I read the theory on Kalpa in our Hindu dharm on wikipedia & other sites but it appears very complex and most of the time, I forget the factual part. Once I read an intrepreted-Bhagwad Gita (Sanskrit to Hindi) also. So, please share your understanding about it. How many yug are there in one kalpa? What is their span? What are relationship between different units of time as mentioned in scriptures? [Please make it easy to understand as it get mixed up everytime I read whole theory, which is very long. I will post another thread to know How it relates with Lord Brahma & His days-night measurement, etc. once basics are clear].

Pranam

Re: Kalpa Chakra

Quote Originally Posted by follower12 View Post
    Namaste everyone,

I read the theory on Kalpa in our Hindu dharm on wikipedia & other sites but it appears very complex and most of the time, I forget the factual part. Once I read an intrepreted-Bhagwad Gita (Sanskrit to Hindi) also. So, please share your understanding about it. How many yug are there in one kalpa? What is their span? What are relationship between different units of time as mentioned in scriptures? [Please make it easy to understand as it get mixed up everytime I read whole theory, which is very long. I will post another thread to know How it relates with Lord Brahma & His days-night measurement, etc. once basics are clear].

Pranam

Dear Friend,

There is one thing which tells us how huge the numbers in Sanathana Dharma are, and that is the definition of our timeline. It is also a very interesting topic which many are not even aware of...also most importantly, the so-called modern day scientists are proposing certain values which are quite near to what our ancestors have told us long long ago....

The following data has been chosen from various texts like Vishnu Purana [third chapter], Bhagavad Purana [Third canto, 11th chapter], Surya Siddhanta [1st and 2nd chapter], Manu Smruthi [1st chapter], Mahabharata [Shanti Parva]

Lets start with what our sacred texts say from the count of a day....All the references are relative...the milli seconds, seconds minutes etc very roughly known as kaala, kaashta, mahurtha, etc define the basic time units on earth...there are some variations and difference of opinions with the basic unit and hence lets start with something more concrete

- Aho : It is the period during which the sun is visible on the earth at one particular location [from dawn to dusk]
    - Raatre : It is the period during which sun is not visible on the earth at one particular location [from dusk to dawn]

- Aho-ratre : One complete day on the planet earth [currently 24 hours]

- Paksha : Fifteen such Aho-raatri [starting from New-moon or Full-moon] form a Paksha

- Shukla Paksha - After New-moon to Full-moon is Shukla Paksha or the bright fortnight as the moon gets brighter
    - Krishna Paksha - After Full-moon to New-moon is Krishna paksha or darker fortnight as the night gets darker

- Maasa : The sum of a Krishna Paksha and a Shukla Paksha is a Maasa or a month....

- Aayana : Time taken on earth to complete 6 months is an Aayana....The term Aayana actually roughly means dwelling...

- Uttara-Aayana - When the Sun moves from south to north [roughly the summer solstice], it is called Uttara-Aayana...where Uttara is North...Sun dwells or moves towards North...This period persists for six months on earth....

- Dakshina-Aayana - and when Sun travels or dwells towards South, its called Dakshina-Aayana..or the Winter solstice....

Now comes the most interesting part...Our sacred texts have exact details regarding the Time Dilation theory...[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation]...again there many wonderful examples and calculations based on this concept...but will give those details when Time allows me to do so...so, based on Time Dilation

Deva Aho : The total time for Uttaraayana on earth[6 earthly months] is equal to the time of a day for the Devatas of Swarga Loka [another planetary system]
    Deva Raatri : The total time for Dakshinaayana on earth[6 earthly months] is equal to the time of a night for the Devatas of Swarga Loka [another planetary system]

So...the period of One Human Year [Uttaraayana + Dakshinaayana] = One complete Aho-Raatri of Devas [1 full day]

Deva Vatsara : One year for Devas...this is equal to 360 Human years....[This point is actually induced in many places]

Please note that the further calculations on earth are referred with the Deva Vatsaras as the calculating unit

Now..in most of the sacred texts this is the point where the reference shifts towards Deva- Vatsara to define the Yugas...one main reason being it is easier to remember as the numbers get large on earth...

Now the definition of a Chatur Yuga...a period of Four Yugas
    - Krith or Sat Yuga
    - Treta Yuga
    - Dwapara Yuga
    - Kali Yuga

The term "Chatur Yuga" as mentioned above, is made up of
    - 12,000 Deva Vatsaras = Total time for Krith + Treta + Dwapara + Kali yuga
    Please note...so the actual Length of one Chatur Yuga is 12,000 X 360 = 43,20,000 Earth Years

Another important point to be noted here is the division of the Yugas
    The Yugas are preceded and succeeded by a transition period called Sandhya and Sandhyansha

Krith Yuga Sandhya + Krit Yuga + Krith Yuga Sandhyaansha = 400 + 4000 + 400 = 4,800
    [400 Deva Vatsara] + [4000 Deva Vatsara] + [400 Deva Vatsara]

Treta Yuga Sandhya + Treta Yuga + Treta Yuga Sandhyaansha
    = 300 + 3000 + 300 = 3,600
    [300 Deva Vatsara] + [3000 Deva Vatsara] + [300 Deva Vatsara]

Dwapara Yuga Sandhya + Dwapara Yuga + Dwapara Yuga Sandhyaansha
    = 200 + 2000 + 200 = 2,400
    [200 Deva Vatsara] + [2000 Deva Vatsara] + [200 Deva Vatsara]

Kali Yuga Sandhya + Kali Yuga + Kali Yuga Sandhyaansha
    = 100 + 1000 + 100 = 1,200
    [100 Deva Vatsara] + [1000 Deva Vatsara] + [100 Deva Vatsara]

so..its 4800 + 3600 + 2400 + 1200 = 12,000 Deva Vatsara...

which means one set of 4 Yugas = 12,000 X 360 = 43,20,000 earthly years

it gets really big now....

There are a set of 72 such chatur yugas which are ruled by one particular Manu [Please note that Manu is not name of a person, but is a position]

Hence the time between two Manus also called a Manvantara is 72 X 43,20,000 = 31,10,40,000 earthly years

Again similar to the theory of Time dilation and time paradox,
    Kalpa - 14 such Manvantaras combine together to form 1 Kalpa = 4,35,45,60,000 earthly years
    Vikalpa - 14 again such Manvantaras period combine to form 1 Vikalpa = 4,35,45,60,000 earthly years

1 Kalpa is equal to 1 Aho of ChaturMukha Bramha in Satya Loka [the topmost planetary system]
    1 Vikalpa is equal 1 Raatri of ChaturMukha Bramha in Satya Loka [the topmost planetary system]

1 full day of ChaturMukha Bramha in Satya Loka [the topmost planetary system] = 1 Kalpa + 1 Vikalpa = 8,70,91,20,000 earthly years
    360 such days of ChaturMukha Bramha in Satya Loka = 1 Year of ChaturMukha Bramha in Satya Loka

The total lifespan of of ChaturMukha Bramha in our Bramhanda is 100 Years
    which is 100 X 360 X 8,70,91,20,000 = 313,528,320,000,000 earthly years !!! and this my dear friend is the how Sanathana Dharma defines our timeline...

Most importantly, look at the divine leela of Paramathma...all such huge numbers do not matter to Him as He is Time...

Please note that all these calculations are relative and there will always be some error in the exact value...[also there will be some variations according to different modern versions of the scripts]

According to our sacred scripts we are as of today
    - 51 year of Bramha - 1st Kalpa [1st day of 51st Year] - 7th Manvantara - 28th Chatur Yuga - Kali Yuga
    Last edited by SanathanaDharma; 11 July 2015 at 06:01 AM.

Namaste Sanathana Dharma ji,

First of all....Wow wow wow. The content posted in above post is lucid & unambiguous with profound clarity I was looking for.
    Still, it indicates that facts and figures are difficult to remember. I will take my time to contemplate on this whole post for quite a long time and then ask queries.

In the mean time, I have studied Jainism through different sites which also mentions concept of time. It goes like this:

The following are measurements of time as adopted by Jainism: Indivisible time = 1 samay
    Innumerable samay = 1 avalik
    16,777,216 avalik = 1 Muhurt
    30 Muhurtas = 1 Day and night
    15 Days and nights = 1 Paksha (fortnight )
    2 Pakshas = 1 Month
    12 Months = 1 Year
    Innumerable years = 1 Palyopam
    10 millions of millions of Palyopams = 1 Sāgaropam
    10 million of millions of Sāgaropams = 1 Utsarpini or 1 Avasarpini
    1 Utsarpini + Avasarpini = 1 Kālchakra (One time cycle).
    Yuga is called Ara in Jainism terminology. In our religion there are 4 yugas (Chatur yug as mentioned above) and Jainism consider 6 Aras or yuga. 5th ara is Kalyug and Sixth Ara is Ghor Kalyug. I think, in Hindu Dharm, both are colllectively as Kalyug.
    *Name of the Ara Degree of happiness Duration of Ara Average height of people Average lifespan of people
    Suṣama-suṣamā Utmost happiness and no sorrow 400 trillion sāgaropamas Six miles tall Three palyopama years
    Suṣamā Moderate happiness and no sorrow 300 trillion sāgaropamas Four miles tall Two palyopama Years
    Suṣama-duḥṣamā Happiness with very little sorrow 200 trillion sāgaropamas Two miles tall One palyopama years
    Duḥṣama-suṣamā Happiness with little sorrow 100 trillion sāgaropamas 1500 meters 705.6 quintillion years
    Duḥṣamā Sorrow with very little happiness 21,000 years 6 feet 125 years
    Duḥṣama- duḥṣamā Extreme sorrow and misery 21,000 years 1 hatha 16–20 years

The content is taken from wikipedia.
    If you want to read how Kalpa is divided according to happiness and sorrow, see the link below:
    http://www.jainworld.com/education/junior11.asp

I see, there is a lot of similarity between what has been mention here and the last post on time measurement.

Sanathana Dharma wrote:
    According to our sacred scripts we are as of today
    - 51 year of Bramha - 1st Kalpa [1st day of 51st Year] - 7th Manvantara - 28th Chatur Yuga - Kali Yuga
    It feels very divine to be part of such a Cosmos. Only bad part is that it is Kaliyug now.

Pranam

Namaste,

Just now, I found timeline of Jainism also on wikipedia.

If you come across a Hindu Dharma timeline, please share it here. It would be good to compare and study both relatively.

Pranam.

Thread Information