Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to become a Shaivite?

Re: How to become a Shaivite?

Vannakkam: I actually don't believe we 'become' anything. It is only a matter of recognising who we already are.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I actually don't believe we 'become' anything. It is only a matter of recognising who we already are.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste EM ji,

Too true. Good point.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post

I would like to conclude by adding two important verses from the supreme Saiva religion.

Dharmadi purusarthanam caturnam paratah para
    Pancamah purusartho hi bhaktih saivi sanatani.

The four goals of life(Purusharthas) according to Hindu scriptures are Dharma,Artha,Kama and Moksha but Shiva Bhakti or love for Lord Shiva is the fifth value of life. It is higher than the accepted four.

Na yogo na tapo narca kramah ko'pi na vidyate
    Amaye sivamargesmin bhaktireka prasasyate.

In this Saiva way without delusion, there is neither yoga nor tapas, neither puja nor aught else. Bhakti and bhakti alone stands supreme!

It does not mean that Yoga,Tapas,Puja and Gnana are absent but Siva Bhakti is the foundation for everything.Gnana without Bhakti is dry theoretical information,Yoga without Bhakti is just abstract exercise,Puja without Bhakti is a dull,mechanical show,even the highest knowledge or realisation(Siva Gnana) is possible by merely having simple Bhakti
    What are the sources of these verses? I am curious!

And where can I find about the Meyakanda shastras online?

I too am in the same boat as the original poster in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by palmcorpoise View Post
    What are the sources of these verses? I am curious! I too am in the same boat as the original poster in this thread.
    Namaste,
    The verses are from Saiva scriptures,I need some time to provide references.There are a similar shlokas from Srimat Shiva Maha Purana.

eSha devo mahAdevaH sarvaj~no jagadIshvaraH |
    ayaM tu parayA bhaktyA dR^ishyate nAnyathA kvachit ||

He is the deity, Mahadeva,the Great God, the omniscient One,the Supreme Lord of the worlds.This God Mahadeva is but visible by higher devotion.

asya bhUtAni vashyAni ayaM sarvaniyojakaH |
    ayaM tu parayA bhaktyA dR^ishyate nAnyathA kvachit ||

All beings are under His control, He is the overlord and organiser of everything. This Great God can be known only by higher devotion.

As explained in earlier posts,one should not misunderstand and assume that Gnana marga,Yoga,Puja or Tapas are absent in Shaivism but it is to be known that Shiva Bhakti forms the solid foundation for all others and is itself a great path.

And where can I find about the Meyakanda shastras online?
    Except the literature from Kauai Adheenam,Saiva Siddhanta literature available today is based on Dualistic Saiva Siddhanta interpreations.(There were many Non-Dualistic traditions that existed before Meykandadeva but most works of those ancient Shivacharyas has not been translated into English from Sanskrit and is mostly studied by few scholars.) There are many books relating to Meykandadeva's system online,you'll find many books if you google Saiva Siddhanta.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Thread Information