Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to become a Shaivite?

How to become a Shaivite?

Namaste

I have finally decided that Shaiva Siddhanta is the right path for me. I just wonder if I have to do anything specific to become a Shaivite (Shaiva Siddhanta)?
    Do I need to get initiated?

Re: How to become a Shaivite?

Quote Originally Posted by OK93 View Post
    Namaste

I have finally decided that Shaiva Siddhanta is the right path for me. I just wonder if I have to do anything specific to become a Shaivite (Shaiva Siddhanta)?

Namaste Ji,

Good to know that have decided to practice Shaiva Siddhanta.
    Ideally,one should be initiated by a qualified Guru.
    I also follow the same Sampradaya but I have not taken any particular initiation.But you are already part of the Saiva Samayam(the holy Shaiva path) because of your decision.One becomes a Saiva by having Bhakti(devotion) and interest in it.

Saiva Siddhanta tradition that is based on many scriptures and most important ones are the Srimat Saiva Agamas(28 Agamas) and the Veda-Upanishads,the 12 Tirumurai is next.Apart from these,the Shaiva Puranas are also studied.There is a lot of literature available on various aspects such as Bhakti,philosophy,rituals,narratives etc.If you can tell more about yourself and which topics you are interested in,members will be able to suggest what would be helpful for you.

Most schools of Shaivism accept the Srimat Agamas as source of knowledge but the term Siddhanta refers to two philosophical conclusions.

1.Shuddha Advaita or absolute non-dualistic philosophy of Maharshi Tirumuladeva in the core Siddhanta text Tirumantiram.
    2.Dualistic interpretation of Meykandadeva in the 14 works known as Meykanda Shastras.

Kauai Adheenam follows the teachings of Tirumantiram and the teaching is called monistic theism(Advaita Ishvaravada).
    Many institutions in Tamil Nadu follow Meykanda Shastras.

Some may like Dvaita or Bheda dualistic philosophy but I personally I prefer Advaita Saivism as I feel it is supported by the scriptures.Only a scholar can judge another scholar and as I haven't studied Meykandadeva's scholarly system deeply I can't term it as false.

One of our senior members here is an initiated Shaiva and has been following Saiva Siddhanta for decades,he will be able to guide you.

I would like to conclude by adding two important verses from the supreme Saiva religion.

Dharmadi purusarthanam caturnam paratah para
    Pancamah purusartho hi bhaktih saivi sanatani.

The four goals of life(Purusharthas) according to Hindu scriptures are Dharma,Artha,Kama and Moksha but Shiva Bhakti or love for Lord Shiva is the fifth value of life. It is higher than the accepted four.

Na yogo na tapo narca kramah ko'pi na vidyate
    Amaye sivamargesmin bhaktireka prasasyate.

In this Saiva way without delusion, there is neither yoga nor tapas, neither puja nor aught else. Bhakti and bhakti alone stands supreme!

It does not mean that Yoga,Tapas,Puja and Gnana are absent but Siva Bhakti is the foundation for everything.Gnana without Bhakti is dry theoretical information,Yoga without Bhakti is just abstract exercise,Puja without Bhakti is a dull,mechanical show,even the highest knowledge or realisation(Siva Gnana) is possible by merely having simple Bhakti
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste ji,
    I am a devotee of lord Shiva but I don't take any initiation and don't read much scripture so can't tell but totally agree with ram11 ji that bhakti is supreme.. If you have bhakti then lord Shiva himself will become your guru and will guide you on highest path.. You will get knowledge without reading and will feel extreme bliss.. Do worship, meditation, reading scriptures and all but focus more on devotion, knowledge, vairagya, surrender and believe.. This five gems will help u to progree much further and the answer of ur question you will get that by experienced members..
    Pranam
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Namaste OK93

I suggest the master course vom Himalayan Academy http://www.himalayanacademy.com > read&learn

You get the basics of Shaiva Siddhanta and Shiva Bhakti and so much inspiring information about Hindudharma.

In question of initiation I have the same opinion as Ram11 and Soul of Light. Shiva is already in you otherwise you would not yearn for Him...

Anyhow, if you find a (Tamil) temple somewhere go there, bow down to Hindudharma and receive a blessing.

Pranam

Vannakkam: I am wondering about the main events that brought you to this conclusion. Perhaps you could offer us an explanation.

Several have given good advice.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Thanks for the good info!

One of the reasons why I feel that Shaivism is the right path for me is because I have studied the other hindu paths such as Vaishnavism, Shaktism and Smartism and I have not really felt drawn to any of them. When I read about the other paths and I read about Vishnu/Krishna, Devi etc, I don't really "feel" anything but when I read about Shiva or look at pictures or statues of Shiva I instantly feel something awaken within me and I feel drawn to him, it's hard to explain.
    Shaiva Siddhanta is the shaivite sect that I feel makes the most sense to me and the one I feel is right.

I want to do Shivling puja daily so that's something I will need to learn how to do, and of course I will start study the scriptures, learn yoga and meditation.

Namaste,

Namaste

Welcome to the forum.

It is customary for new members to introduce themselves in the 'Introductions' sub-forum and be properly received before starting any heavy discourses. But that is your choice. I guess enough advice has already been disseminated and questions asked for further movement on the topic. Good luck.

Pranam.

Namaste,

One of the reasons why I feel that Shaivism is the right path for me is because I have studied the other hindu paths such as Vaishnavism, Shaktism and Smartism and I have not really felt drawn to any of them. When I read about the other paths and I read about Vishnu/Krishna, Devi etc, I don't really "feel" anything but when I read about Shiva or look at pictures or statues of Shiva I instantly feel something awaken within me and I feel drawn to him, it's hard to explain.
    Shaiva Siddhanta is the shaivite sect that I feel makes the most sense to me and the one I feel is right.

I want to do Shivling puja daily so that's something I will need to learn how to do, and of course I will start study the scriptures, learn yoga and meditation.
    Vannakkam: I understand this, as the same thing happened to me, maybe 40 years ago. I think sect is innate, and this is a common way that people just 'know'. It's a a strong intuitive feeling. Not everyone has this feeling though.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Namaste Ji,

You have done the right thing by choosing the noble Shaiva path only after evaluating other sects.
    Saiva Siddhanta is a comprehensive Sampradaya as there is a right proportion of Bhakti,Puja,Yoga,Dhyana and Gnana in it.

Begin with simple scriptures,learn things step by step and I am sure in some time through practice you will achieve good progress.Good Luck.

P.S. As Believer Ji said,it is a good practice to greet our HDF members and say a few words in the Introduction sub-forum before proceeding with questions.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste Ji,

Welcome, OK93, to the Forum and welcome to a Saiva brother or sister as well. I hope you find what you're looking for here.

This is indeed how it happens, the same is true here. Look and look and find no connections, until Sri Shambhu turns our eyes to Him, and then there is no looking away again. I am happy for you.
    Many more wise have given great advice. I would only add, ask Him to show you the next steps and follow the pace He sets you. You will find yourself finding the resources and wisdom you need when you ask, and can begin implementing knowledge as you understand and internalize it.
    I too am mainly studying Saiva Siddhanta Sampradaya as taught by the Advaitin lineage of the Saiva Siddhanta Church seated at Kauai Aadheenam. The Master Course mentioned above is available from their website either in book form through their online store or for free via daily lesson emails. They also offer daily passages from the Vedas and daily passages from the Tirumantiram via email.
    Sri Siva Himself has initiated you to start on the path, you do not need to immediately dedicate completely to any one school until you are absolutely one hundred percent certain you have found the one you belong to and can wholly and without question devote yourself to that Guru lineage. This is not a light vow to take, so take your time and do not rush in. Time is the thing we all have plenty of in the end, after all.

All bliss and joy to you.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Thread Information