Thread: Learning scriptures

Learning scriptures

Namaste,

Is there an easy way to remember shlokas? There are so many and I have look books to see the words. Though I try to remember only the essence of shloka which may be enough but still, I wish to learn shloks, at least the popular ones. It adds weight to what we say if we mention the related shlok or is it not everyone's cup of tea to remember all shloks? Once I tried to learn but the process started slowing & then it stopped altogether. So, please suggest some easy ways to remember shloks or the chants done during worshipping Gods.

Pranaam.

Re: Learning scriptures

Vannakkam: Research in educational circles shows that our brains are wired differently so what works for one person may not work for another. The two main categories are oral learners, versus visual learners. Experimentation with techniques usually will help you find what works for you, or what learning style you have, as an individual.

For me, I always chunked it into pieces, and slowly added more as I got the first pieces mastered. For example, to memorize 108 names of a deity, do 9 at a time. Get the first 9 mastered, then add 9 more, then once those 18 are mastered, add 9 more etc. Eventually you get to 108.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 13 July 2015 at 06:12 AM.

Namaste,

I agree with the suggestions made by EM ! However, I would like to add further :

a) You can't memorise all the shlokas available in all Hindu scriptures just because of their sheer volume. It is not possible.
    b) Now, the respite is that you don't need to memorise all shlokas. Do you ? You need to memorise only those ones which you think are important for you. So, first decide which are the shlokas you want to memorise. Then break those into small segments. Memorise some of them at a time. Once you master them, you can add more shlokas as EM said.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Agree with em ji and devotee ji..
    My way to memorise slokas is by understanding and learning their word to word meaning.. Its easy to grasp when you know their meaning.. I learned little Sanskrit so its easy for me and you know Hindi so it will be easy for you too as there are not much difference in some words but try to only grasp important one like devotee ji said.. I recently grasping Shiva tandava stotra and grasped half of it in 1-2 hour.. Its meaning is nice..
    Pranam
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Namaste,

Thankyou Eastern Mind ji, devotee ji and soul of light ji. I think I need to find my own way just like you all did. Not in constant touch with scriptures is also one of the reasons why I forget what I read. I want to memorize all Shloks of Shrimad Bhagwad Gita. I studied Sanskrit till metrics & was very good at it but shloks in scriptures are much more complex. There seems a very wide range of Sanskrit words just like any other language.

As devotee ji suggested that I should learn that first which I want, remaining later. Learning one shlok per day would be more than enough for me. Though my parents are so good at it, why I can't learn it easily? They don't see any book & read shlok from memory at such a great speed, its astonishing. I am also currently looking for a job & had to devote much of the time to studies & related activities, so I am not in touch with religion most of the time. Its great that somehow that gap is bridged here on HDF.

soul of light wrote:
    I recently grasping Shiva tandava stotra and grasped half of it in 1-2 hour.. Its meaning is nice..
    Wow. I think understanding its meaning helps a lot in memorizing at such speed.

Pranaam.

Thread Information