Thread: How do we reconcile our tradition with other traditions?

How do we reconcile our tradition with other traditions?

Namaskar,

Yesterday a coworker and I somehow got into a discussion about ancient civilizations and this eventually led to the discussion of religion. She was curious as to what religion I followed and I told her that I practice meditation and yoga. She then asked if I believed in God; I said yes, I do. She asked about what God I believe in and I explained to her my view on the matter. She didn't seem to fully understand what I was trying to say. Still, she replied saying that she thought what I followed was really wonderful, except for one thing: that I followed the wrong God. She said,

"Well in my religion it says that God is a jealous God and that following any other 'god' will land you straight in hell. You don't want to go to hell do you?"

I said no I don't, and I don't think I will, but I will go wherever God desires me to go.

Shortly after that we had to get back to work so the conversation pretty much ended right there (and I'm glad it did). However, if it had continued, I probably would have just nodded my head and let her talk not saying anything else to her. My question is: what are we supposed to say in these situations? Or should we remain silent?

Pranam.

LightofOm
    ॐ मृत्युंजयाय रुद्राय नीलकण्ठाय शम्भवे l
    अमृतेशाय शर्वाय महादेवाय ते नम: ll

Sanātana Dharma Worldwide

Re: How do we reconcile our tradition with other traditions?

Quote Originally Posted by LightofOm View Post
    Namaskar,

Yesterday a coworker and I somehow got into a discussion about ancient civilizations and this eventually led to the discussion of religion. She was curious as to what religion I followed and I told her that I practice meditation and yoga. She then asked if I believed in God; I said yes, I do. She asked about what God I believe in and I explained to her my view on the matter. She didn't seem to fully understand what I was trying to say. Still, she replied saying that she thought what I followed was really wonderful, except for one thing: that I followed the wrong God. She said,

"Well in my religion it says that God is a jealous God and that following any other 'god' will land you straight in hell. You don't want to go to hell do you?"

I said no I don't, and I don't think I will, but I will go wherever God desires me to go.

Shortly after that we had to get back to work so the conversation pretty much ended right there (and I'm glad it did). However, if it had continued, I probably would have just nodded my head and let her talk not saying anything else to her. My question is: what are we supposed to say in these situations? Or should we remain silent?

Pranam.

LightofOm

Namaste Ji,

Very important thing to remember,don't discuss religion at work place.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Vannakkam: You can't win because the soul you are communicating is living in a different paradigm, one of fear. What you saw is just how they view the world. I second what Ramji said. Don't bring up the topic, unless you feel like talking to a brick wall.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaskar,

Let me just say that I did not bring up the topic. I do not prefer to discuss these types of things, especially at work, and especially with people who don't share my views. But I made an exception here, hoping that this person may be open. Most of the time I am silent, but I was engaged by this person (who I trust) so I went ahead and told them what I was about. Now I know that talking to them about this was a mistake.

However, this has happened to me outside of work too. So, my question here was not, "should I talk about this stuff at work?" No. I already know that I shouldn't. What I wanted to know was, how should one respond??? But from what you two are saying, it looks like silence is the answer. Thank you for clarifying this.

Pranam.

My response at this time in my development would be, "Well Mary, we had discussed this recently, and it is clear that you believe one thing, and I believe another thing. Let's leave it at that." If she pushes further and wants to pull you in (when it's obvious she's trying to pull you away from your beliefs), I say, " Thank you for your concern, but at this point, it seems as though you are stepping over my personal boundaries. My beliefs as they are are not up for discussion." (shrug your shoulders)

Namaste,

I am living in hell and would like to progress so that I get reincarnated as a better person, would be my answer.

But as others have said, don't discuss religion at work or with friends of other persuations unless you want to lose them. If one is orbiting on a certain trajectory, it is very difficult to make them understand yours. "Oh that is a very deep subject; we should discuss it some other time outside of work", is what I would respond with to deflect any questions or further discussion.

Pranam.

Namaste LightofOm,

So, my question here was not, "should I talk about this stuff at work?" No. I already know that I shouldn't. What I wanted to know was, how should one respond??? But from what you two are saying, it looks like silence is the answer.
    Silence would not be my primary reaction in a situation like this. Silence would mean that we have a preconcieved bias that the coworker cannot think outside of the box. Silence would also indicate to the coworker that you somehow agree that your God is a "wrong" God and that is why you can't respond.

Give them an artistic reply. Give them a reply that will make them look for the answer themselves! Watch the attached video to know what I mean. (The video is in Hindi). The king wanted others to find the answer for his question, and at min 5:54, a brahmin gave him a weird answer. His answer/response was neither a truth nor a lie. It was an artistic response that put the onus to find answers on the king himself!

..... And that is exactly what you (and we) need to do in these situations!

So for example, you can give the co-worker a completely dumbfounded look and say "...but, but how can the same God be both the "right" God and "wrong" God? There is only one God, isn't it??" If the co-worker says "yes" then say "Then how is He the wrong God?"

Be careful however, not to start a confrontation at work. Give the co-worker one or so artistic retorts, then tell them the same thing that Believer has recommended.

When outside of work however, you can give more forceful retorts. Say "You just called God, the only one who exists, a "wrong" God. You don't want to go to hell, do you?"

That will get them thinking!

Pranaam.

What is the one thing that no beings can do, except humans? Answer: Arts!

Let me just say that I did not bring up the topic. I do not prefer to discuss these types of things, especially at work, and especially with people who don't share my views. But I made an exception here, hoping that this person may be open. Most of the time I am silent, but I was engaged by this person...

...this has happened to me outside of work too. So, my question here was not, "should I talk about this stuff at work?" No. I already know that I shouldn't. What I wanted to know was, how should one respond??? But from what you two are saying, it looks like silence is the answer. Thank you for clarifying this.
    Namaste Light of Om ji,

From what I remember of where you currently live and your descriptions above, these sound to me like Christians looking to "save another soul". Depending on their denomination, this may be a requirement of their sect or they may just like you and so think they are doing you a favor.

EM ji is right in that more often than not such conversations are like talking to a wall, usually these sects aren't actually looking for a metaphysical discussion from which they may take some new understanding.

Oftentimes silence will only encourage them to continue. Firmly but gently restating similar statements to DA's should work, but be careful to not give hope of further discussion outside of work, unless you want the conversation to continue there - they will take it as an invitation.

If someone is persistent even then, asking them to please not bring it up again and then avoiding their company when not around others can help. If it's a colleague and at work, and if it's someone I like or respect, I have sometimes added that I appreciate that they think they're trying to do something nice for me, but...

Best of luck, it can be really difficult in those places where these denominations are a heavy part oof the population.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Namaskar all,

Thank you very much for the replies here. I was curious as to what you all would do in such situations and I feel like you all have given me some great answers. Once again, thank you very much.

Pranam.

Aum Namah Sivaya

LightofOm

This thread is probably closed, but still I am responding. I have faced this situation in my workplace, but in a very contextual manner. Something happens which bears some similarity with mythology or I use a term from Indian/Hindu stories that I end up having to explain. I have found in such cases for people to be quite receptive and enquiring. Most of the time, they just find the story entertaining. But it is not a habit and happens once in a while.

In response to your original question, I would just respond to my co-worker, that you cannot reconcile yourself with the idea of a jealous God. You are also willing to bear the burden in case you are wrong. If I were you, I might even put in a filler story from Mahabharat/Panchatantra etc.

Pranam.

Thread Information