Namaste,

In discussions we encounter different opinions on issues,how to do we decide what is right and what is not?I came across this short discourse today,Jagadguru Shankaracharya Sri Bharati Tirtha MahaSwami of Sringeri Peetam explains that we should adhere to what is told in the scriptures.

I feel that it is always better to rely on the wisdom of the Rishis as told in our scriptures.I hope this Anugraha Bhashanam of Jagadacharya MahaSwamiji will guide those who have complete faith in Dharma and deep respect for the scriptures.

Translation of the talk given at Chennai during the recent Vijaya Yatra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO-D8rRFfYY

In His Anugraha Bhashanam, the Jagadguru said that Shastras talk about “Vidhi” and “Nishedha”. “Vidhi” refers to that which needs to be done. “Nishedham” refers to that which something that should not be done. What needs to be done and what should not be done is decided only by the Shastras. We cannot act as we please. The Lord says the same point in the Bhagavad Gita – तस्माच्छास्त्रं प्रमाणं ते कार्याकार्यव्यवस्थितौ The Shastras are the authority for determining, what needs to be done and what has to avoided. When we mention the term “Shastras”, we only refer to the Vedas. The word “Shastram” is derived from the verse – “शास्ति इति शास्त्रम्”. Only the Vedas can assertively say what needs to be done. It is very difficult to question what is mentioned in the Vedas. The Dharma Shastras mention that Vedas are the supreme authority on Dharma in the verse – वेदोऽखिलो धर्ममूलम्. Dharma refers to something that brings us good and Vedas list down the things that bring us good and the things that we are not expected to do. We should adhere to what is mentioned in the Shastras.

The philosophers of yore have all stated – यच्छब्द आह, तदस्माकं प्रमाणम् – “Shabda” here refers to the Vedas. What the Vedas state is the authority for us. The Vedas give two instructions that apply to everyone: सत्यं वद, धर्मं चर Speak The Truth, Practice Dharma. Although these two rules look very simple, if we follow these rules religiously, welfare results not only in this birth but also in all future births. These two rules are something that all of us in the world should follow.