Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Britain owe Reparations to India?

Does Britain owe Reparations to India?

Namaste,

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-33618621

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7CW7S0zxv4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8c7XuDS4cs

Pranam.

PS, Shashi Tharoor, the presenter/debater in the videos above, was runner up for the job of the U N Secretary General in the last election for the post. He lost to Ban Ki-moon because one of the security council permanent members did not like him. Who was this member that hated Shashi you ask; the US under President Bush.

-
    Last edited by Believer; 23 July 2015 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Added PS

Re: Does Britain owe Reparations to India?

Obviously some portions of the British not only owe a great debt to India which they must in some way pay back but also many other countries.

The elites even in modern days are the worst criminals who are causing and have caused complete havoc due to their materialistic greed and self imposed importance.

Meanwhile back in England at the time of Indian rule at the time of the Industrial revolution the main work force lived and worked in subhuman conditions, if people think that the British as a nation was lavishly enjoying the fruits of oversees exploitation then a bit more study needs to take place. Its the elitist that still exist today that need to be routed out and sent to the moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm6v3oOjaZ0
    Last edited by markandeya 108 dasa; 24 July 2015 at 02:43 AM.

Vannakkam: I don't think it's just British elite, but several European elite. For example, in Brazil, the Portuguese king gave away vast tracts of land to other royalty ... land that had many indigenous inhabitants. To this day there are landowners doing nothing but owning land and collecting rent, living off the labour of others. This remains a major reason why Brazil has huge wealth discrepancy. The Dutch, French, Spanish and others share in the debt owed to indigenous people all over.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaskāra OP,

Finally, FINALLY! The words gets out about Britain's history. Finally! It's time to address this.

And yes, it was nearly all of the European countries who participated in this. There's a book called Asia and Western Dominance by KM Panikkar. You might want to read it.

Praṇāma

Namaste,

Meanwhile back in England at the time of Indian rule at the time of the Industrial revolution the main work force lived and worked in subhuman conditions.....
    Whereas on a human scale one feels sympathetic towards the British masses having suffered during the industrial revolution, but as a nation whose share of the world economy shrunk from 23% to less than 4%, it is hard to not hold Britain as a nation responsible for untold suffering heaped on others. What was done internally with the money looted from others becomes immaterial. The suffrage of British masses was due to internal weakness of the political system and the great DEMOCRACY that is flaunted by them in everyone's face. The living conditions in Britain were harsh, but at least people lived; whereas in India millions were starved to death and others looked like skeletons - death warmed over.

"At the beginning of the 18th Century, India's share of the world economy was 23%, as large as all of Europe put together. By the time the British departed India, it had dropped to less than 4%."

Pranam.

Namaste,

Who is going to be held responsible, as the elites belong to no nation in particular. Still today the Queen is the biggest landowner, but she is more from German descent than British and the elitists are of mixed European stock that control most of America too. So the real perpetrators can only be found by following the money trail, and its certainly not being held with the British public and more than likely not with government too.

Elitism is something that plagues and has historically plagued our civilization, this can be anything from media tycoons, monarchy, aristocrats and caste Brahmins.

Say for example the Indian Government sued Britain, then who would really being paying, Mr and Mrs 9 to 5. So if its an age to really point who is responsible it doesn't have so much to do with countries.

Vannakkam: No court or army in the world will be able to retrieve what has been taken and horded by the very rich and powerful. The key (in my opinion about the nature of social change) is in going about changing them, (and ourselves in many cases) into realising this hording, war, greed, etc. actually does not make you happier or more satisfied, and certainly doesn't get you to moksha, or heaven in other belief systems.

The billionaire who lives like a relatively normal citizen, and works on how to share his/her wealth is the role model here.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

In terms of the valuables like whats been shown in the British Museum and the things they have which are not on display, plus the jewels in the crown should be handed back, its amazing how the same system of justice will prosecute a poor person from stealing a loaf of bread from a shop just to feed them self.

The suffrage of British masses was due to internal weakness of the political system and the great DEMOCRACY that is flaunted by them in everyone's face.
    I am sorry but I just cant agree with this, do you think people had any choice, England Britain what ever you want to call it has for many hundreds of years been a Totalitarian state, its hidden in more recent times by the illusion of democracy.

But somethings are much more complex than they seem, Believer says millions were forced into starvation and death, but at the same time under a different process millions of British at home were forced into slave labour in conditions with extremely high mortality rates and the average age of a person would have probably been around 40 years old, many dying before they reached maturity, I am not saying one is better than the other, the whole thing is mess.

A real British person is Celt, Druid and Briton and they have long been wiped out by multiple invasions. There is no such thing a British person, it all went down hill and our original culture was destroyed by the Romans. Historically and culturally we was not a waring nation, and have also been imprisoned suppressed and subdued and culturally annihilated due to foreign invasion, but its so long ago that nobody really understand these things anymore.

The world is run by criminals, whatever luxury people think they have in life is an illusion. What to do be done about the wrongs in history if we look from a dharmic point of view, is revenge on the menu if it is then its not dharma. Nobody in their right minds wants to see others suffering to the extent that has happened, but the main solution although we can make it as complex as we want is to be a sincere person looking for the profound of truth of existence and meantime while within the human frame be as good as person as possible.

I certainly hope and pray that India regains its former glory and many of the issues that has human suffering can be resolved to the largest extent possible, but for that to happen a country needs a good government and then any good government would need honest politicians, but is that asking to much.

As an British person I feel no guilt or shame for things that I have not been directly involved in, why should I but I am appalled at the way Britain has had its hand in many of the ills not just in India but in many places of the world. I know many English devotees when they go to India they say they are Irish, Australian, I have always said I am English and I have never had any problem in India.

Even Britain which is also known as a warring nation and people were hungry for war, no they were hungry for food and becoming a solider was the only way to earn money for people on the brink of starvation back at home, I dont think that people really understand just how much a suppressed country Britain was among the normal people. Today the average English person is quite modest and laid back and nice ordinary people, and one thing for sure is that when there is a world disaster the British public are the first ones putting there hands in their pockets to help out, we have a good backbone of charitable and very nice people.

no, not after 60+ years.

just move on Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Indic Brahmin View Post
    no, not after 60+ years.

just move on Guys.
    Agreed. However it would be a nice gesture if some of those items looted from India could be returned, such as the Koh-i-noor diamond or some pieces in the British Museum.

Thread Information