Thread: Exaltation of Women in Vedic Society

Exaltation of Women in Vedic Society

Namaste,

Dear friends I will be soon writing a short & free e-Book on the beautiful status of Women within Vedic Society. The philosophy underlying their exaltation (to build context), the symbolism and norms that followed(application of context), and the rights that they enjoyed thousands of years ago explained using defined context (main content of the book). The structure may change - but that is how it currently stands.

I think it is a highly appropriate title in this day and age; especially as the feminist movement is exploding; sometimes for the right, and sometimes for the wrong reasons. Whatever the case may be many of our peers have a limited strand of historical data to reference - and they are unaware of Women ever not being subjugated heavily until now.

The reason I make this thread is that I don't want to miss anything!

Any key points, tid-bits, cool facts, quotations, citations, anything would be of great help. I will do some research and add it to the book. Any book title suggestions would be nice too

Re: Exaltation of Women in Vedic Society

It's not exactly "feminist," but one mantra that came to mind was from Kakshivati's hymn to the Nasatyau/Ashwinau, the one that starts with "अमाजुरश्चिद्भवथोयुवंभगः":
    "You two [युवम्/युवाम्] are considered [चिद्भवथः] the fortune [भगः] of she who is aging [जुरः/जूर्यन्त्याः] at home [अमा]."
    Though the above is not feminist, and part of a rather depressive hymn (compared to others), it is composed by a female Rishi and does show concern for old women...
    Last edited by Jaskaran Singh; 26 August 2015 at 08:17 PM.
    படைபோர் புக்கு முழங்கும்அப் பாஞ்சசன்னியமும் பல்லாண்டே
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Found the hymn, this is the translation by Ralph T. Griffith:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rv10039.htm

Though don't know why he calls Rebha as "Reblia" and Saptavadhri as "Saptavadliri." Also don't know why he translated Vadhrimati as "weakling's dame." Though vadhri can mean eunuch, Vadhrimati is the wife of Saptavadhri, which is another name for the muni Atri. I'm not sure why he translates proper names; I remember he did the same with Agastya's father in a different verse.
    Last edited by Jaskaran Singh; 26 August 2015 at 08:48 PM. Reason: accidentally wrote she rather than he
    படைபோர் புக்கு முழங்கும்அப் பாஞ்சசன்னியமும் பல்லாண்டே
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Namaste JS,

Quote Originally Posted by Jaskaran Singh View Post

Though don't know why he calls Rebha as "Reblia" and Saptavadhri as "Saptavadliri." Also don't know why he translated Vadhrimati as "weakling's dame." Though vadhri can mean eunuch, Vadhrimati is the wife of Saptavadhri, which is another name for the muni Atri. I'm not sure why he translates proper names; I remember he did the same with Agastya's father in a different verse.
    As far as I have come to the conclusion that their sole motive behind such (mis)translation was to show HD in poor light so that they could shame us on our faith.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information