Thread: New to Hinduism, monist, stuck between Advaita and Tantra

Question New to Hinduism, monist, stuck between Advaita and Tantra

Due to some experiences I've had, one of which is discussed in my thread in the Introductions section, I find myself a monist. However, I'm torn between Advaita and Tantra due to their differing perspectives on how this "side" of reality should be viewed. I find myself appreciating the almost pantheistic touch of Tantra, but at the same time I have that niggling scruple that maybe I should just stick to "orthodoxy." However I can see both as almost saying the same thing from different angles, that Maya is like a dream, but a dream of God and therefore a lesser sort of derivative reality. As I used to be Catholic, I have a very hard time with scruples, and I see that Advaita might aggravate them, so I don't know what to do. I don't plan on going left-handed if I do get involved in Tantra, although as a metalhead I can see the reasoning behind that path and it does hold certain amounts of appeal for me. I'm the type that tries to buck norms to do what I feel is right

So, could someone give me a crash course here? I've already a devotion to Ardhanarishvara... so does that fit within Advaita or no?

Re: New to Hinduism, monist, stuck between Advaita and Tantra

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Aham Brahmasmi View Post
    Due to some experiences I've had, one of which is discussed in my thread in the Introductions section, I find myself a monist. However, I'm torn between Advaita and Tantra due to their differing perspectives on how this "side" of reality should be viewed. I find myself appreciating the almost pantheistic touch of Tantra, but at the same time I have that niggling scruple that maybe I should just stick to "orthodoxy." However I can see both as almost saying the same thing from different angles, that Maya is like a dream, but a dream of God and therefore a lesser sort of derivative reality. As I used to be Catholic, I have a very hard time with scruples, and I see that Advaita might aggravate them, so I don't know what to do. I don't plan on going left-handed if I do get involved in Tantra, although as a metalhead I can see the reasoning behind that path and it does hold certain amounts of appeal for me. I'm the type that tries to buck norms to do what I feel is right

So, could someone give me a crash course here? I've already a devotion to Ardhanarishvara... so does that fit within Advaita or no?
    I am not sure what you are looking for. However, you can choose any deity if you must in Advaita as Saguna Brahman. The only condition is that you must have utmost devotion, love and reverence for the deity. You must look upon the deity as the Almighty God which is Infinite, Omnipotent, Loving, caring, guiding, within you and in every being and everywhere, full of bliss.

The form and name are not important. You are not your body and your name ... and so is God ... He/She/It has no form or any form, no name or any name, any gender or no gender. The Truth is beyond all such concepts of relative existence of ours.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Re: New to Hinduism, monist, stuck between Advaita and Tantra

Don't mind me, I'm new to all this. I simply have no guidance here and am trying to make sense of things and find where I fit. I'm a newbie and have a newbie's understanding of things because all I really have to rely upon are my experiences, the Internet, and the books I can afford. I basically am just trying to find guidance on what path I would belong to in Sanatana Dharma. As it stands... I'm probably overthinking this. I'm a non-dualist with a focus on knowledge and finding the Divine in everything.

I have a nasty habit of needing labels to make sense of things because I've high-functioning autism. I'll just go with my experiential knowledge then instead of analyzing everything to death.

Thread Information