Thread: HELP: SPIDERS!

Exclamation HELP: SPIDERS!

Namaste,

Despite knowing killing any being is a crime against God, the amount of insects & spiders in my room is really frustrating. We are living 5th floor in an apartment. We have a balcony & a window which can be opened. But I've tried multiple times to trap them & set them out, but it never really works out (in crawls back into room etc.) I really don't want to breed spiders at home. I'm horribly scared of them. I feel bad about killing them, & I'm struggling to understand the right thing to do. Thank you very very much for your help.

Dhanavad,
    FollowerJunior

Re: HELP: SPIDERS!

Namaste FJ,

Insects/germs/viruses who are our enemies must be avoided or removed without killing if possible and if nothing works, must be killed. So, if non-violent means don't work, you are very well within your rights to kill them. You don't want their death but because they have threatened your peaceful living and your health, you are forced to kill them as a human being. I don't see any sin in this act unless you act with malice and vengeance towards them. They are at war with you and you are doing your dharma in a war that you never wanted. This also applies to when you fall sick and you have to kill germs with medicines or killing a mad dog, or killing a snake etc.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    You don't want their death but because they have threatened your peaceful living and your health, you are forced to kill them as a human being.
    +1

Pranam.

Namaste,

Thank you Believer and devotee for answering my question...even if it is a small thing, I don't want to take the wrong action.

Dhanavad,
    FollowerJunior

Namaskar ji,

Devotee ji is absolutely correct. Yet I would like to add a couple of my own thoughts.

Nature tells us about our environment if we learn to listen to her. It's always a good thing to watch and listen to nature for these kinds of red flags.

Spiders are mobile predators by nature, they go where the food is and are the first line of control of insect population, like wolves or sharks. They will not live where there is no food for therm, and with a few exceptions most species prefer to be outdoors and away from larger animals which they see as threats to their own safety - which is true. So if you are overrun by spiders, the question is what are they eating that is attracting them to your home? Whatever it is, they are a line of defense against that thing.

You mentioned "insects & spiders". What are the other insects? Get rid of them and you will also get rid of the spiders. Some forms of insect are communal and live within walls and floor voids, so killing what you see is only one small front of a mach larger scale war. The most successful strategy is to find out what animal is the pest attracting the predators, and then use a known successful strategy to get rid of them, before doing anything else. Or you may end up in the same predicament all over again. And then there are other kinds of pests that live outside the home and come in to forage when weather and resources are poor outside, like ants. Ants are easy because they use smell to navigate and will avoid certain smells like the plague. So you line all their possible entry points with that smell and freshen it every day, and suddenly, no more ants.

I came close to choosing entomology (insects and arthropods) years ago when choosing a career track. If you still have a problem and would like any assistance, I would be happy to help.

~Pranam
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 20 September 2015 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Namaste,

Thank you so much Aanandinii for your helpful input. I figured the ants are attracting them...I think it's a pest control red flag.

Dhanavad,

FollowerJunior

Namaste

I know this is an old thread, but spiders don't go after ants that often, because ants have strong jaws that can injure an attacking spider.

In my experience, there's no real way to prevent spiders in the home...most insecticides don't work on them (because they don't "breathe" through their skin the way insects do). They can survive without eating for months, so even if your home only has occasional bugs, the spiders can get by.

Luckily the vast majority of spider species are harmless to humans, even if they are frightening. I usually leave the shy web building ones alone, but I usually kill or trap the hunting spiders that crawl on the walls, ceilings and floors at night....they're just too creepy

Thread Information