Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The importance of Tulasi

The importance of Tulasi

Namaste all.
    In this post,the glories of Tulasi (the sacred plant of Lord Vishnu) will be taled.
    By http://www.bvml.org/contemporary/aosat.htm

Appearance Of Shalagrama And Tulasi
    by Padmanabha Goswami
    Shastric evidence from Sri Hari-bhakti-vilas
    The following history of the appearance of Shalagram and Tulasi is from the Brahma-vaivarta Purana. Though the description there is quite elaborate, we are presenting it here in brief.

There was once a king named Vrsadhvaja who, despite arriving in a dynasty of pious Vaishnava kings, was strictly devoted to Lord Shiva. He had no faith in Lord Vishnu or any of the demigods, and even began to criticize the worship of Lord Vishnu. Seeing the offensive behavior of Vrishadhvaja, Suryadeva cursed him to lose all his wealth and power. He and two generations of his descendants thus became destitute until the appearance of Dharmadhvaja. - Dharmadhvaja and his wife very devotedly worshiped Lakshmidevi to gain her favor and thus a plenary portion of Lakshmi entered his wife's womb.

On Kartika Purnima at a time marked with every auspicious sign, the wife of Dharmadhvaja, Madhavi, gave birth to a very beautiful daughter. She was decorated with all fortunate signs and grew to be an exquisitely beautiful young girl never aging beyond sixteen years. Her beauty stole the mind and heart of everyone, and being impossible to compare her with anyone else, She became known as Tulasi (matchless). - Leaving home, Tulasi went to Badrivan where she performed severe penance's with a desire in her mind that Lord Narayana himself become her husband. Pleased with her austerities, Brahmaji appeared before her and asked what boon she desired. Tulasi explained to him, "In my pervious birth, I was a gopi named Tulasi. By my wonderful good fortune, I was able to became the very dearly beloved maid servant of Lord Krishna. One day in the rasa-mandala, Radharani angrily cursed me to be born on the earth in human society. Thus leaving my divine body, I have taken my birth on the earth in this present form.

Now I desire the boon of attaining Lord Narayana as my husband." - Lord Brahma replied, "There was one cowherd boy named Sudama who also received Radharani's curse to be born on the earth. By that curse he has been born in the family of demons and is now famous on the earth as Sankhacuda. He has done extreme penance's to attain certain boons and to get you as his wife. Thus in this life he will become your husband for some time. Later by the influence of lila you will curse Lord Narayana, but accepting your curse, Lord Narayana will then become your husband. Lord Vishnu will love you more dearly than His own life, and without your presence all puja will be fruitless. By my boon, becoming the presiding deity of all the trees, you will freely enjoy unlimited happiness in the constant association of Lord Vishnu." - Sankhachuda, receiving his desired benedictions along with an all-auspicious protective shield (kavaca) from Lord Brahma, came to Badrivan where he met Tulasi. As they were conversing with each other, Lord Brahma appeared on the spot and said, " Sankhachuda, please accept this young maiden as your wife."

Turning to Tulasi he told her, "After the death of Sankhachuda, you will obtain Lord Vishnu as your husband." - The other boon that sankhachuda received from Lord Brahma was that as long as the chastity of his wife was not violated, no one would be able to kill him. Thus becoming very arrogant, he began to terrorize all the demigods and human beings. Severely afflicted by his attacks, the demigods approached Lord Shiva and begged him to protect them. Then Lord Shankara went there and personally began to fight with Sankhachuda. - Meanwhile, Lord Vishnu made a plan to destroy the chastity of Tulasi. While Lord Shiva and Sankhachuda were ferociously fighting, Lord Hari in the form of a brahmana arrived on the battlefield. He said to Sankhachuda, "Please give your kavaca in charity to me, a brahmana." Then Sankhachuda immediately gave Him the kavaca in charity . That same Lord Hari, disguising Himself as Sankhachuda then went to see Tulasi.

Deceiving her in this way, He began to enjoy with her as if He were her husband and thus broke her chastity. - The Bhavisya Purana goes on for great length to point out that there was certainly no fault on Lord Vishnu's part. He wanted to maintain the benediction given by His devotee Lord Brahma to Sankhachuda, and at the same time He wanted to protect the demigods and devotees. For this purpose He created this particular pastime with the appearance of improper behavior. But since Tulasi is the plenary part of Lakshmidevi, she is actually the wife of Lord Vishnu. - At that very moment Sankaraji killed Sankhachuda on the battlefield. When Tulasi understood all that had happened, she said, "By deceiving me, you have broken my chastity, and killed my husband. You're absolutely stone hearted! Thus I curse you to remain on earth as a stone!" - Lord Hari said, "For many years you underwent very difficult penance's to achieve Me. At the same time, Sankhchuda has also done severe penance's to get you. By the result of his austerity, he enjoyed you as his wife and has now gone to Goloka.

Now you will get the fruit of your penance's. Leaving this mortal body and taking a divine form, you will always remain with Me. Your present body shall turn into the river Gandaki, and from your hair will grow many trees famous as Tulasi.

To fulfill your curse, I will become a stone (Shalagram-shila) and will always live on the banks of the Gandaki River. The millions of worms who live in that place will adorn those stones with the sign of My cakra by carving them with their sharp teeth." After this Lord Vishnu began do dwell perpetually in the waters of the Gandaki River in the form of stones.

According to the Gautamiya Tantra, "a stone from any place other than the Gandaki River in Nepal can never be a Shalagram Sila." In Sri Hari-bhakti-vilas it is stated, "merely by touching a genuine Shalagram Sila one becomes free from the sins of millions of births, so what to speak of worshiping Him. By puja of Shalagram Sila one gains the direct association of Lord Hari." The Skanda Purana states that, "a genuine Shalagram Sila is directly a manifestation of the Supreme Lord Vishnu and does not require any installation."

It is further stated that, "the sale or purchase of a Shalagram Sila is strictly prohibited. Anyone who attempts to determine the material value of a Shalagram Sila will live in hell until the end of the universe. The area within a radius of twenty-four miles from where a Shalagram Sila is worshiped is considered a holy place (tirtha). Anyone who sees, bathes, worships, or bows to a Shalagram Sila will receive the same piety as doing millions of sacrifices and giving millions of cows in charity."

"Without having accumulated pious activities, it is very difficult to find a Shalagram Sila in this world, especially in the age of Kali-yuga." In the Padma Purana it is stated, "if a devotee who is properly initiated in prescribed mantras does the puja of Shalagram Sila, he will attain the Supreme Lord's spiritual abode without a doubt."

Sastric evidence from Sri Hari-bhakti-vilas translated by Sri Padmanabha Goswami, Sri Radha-ramana Temple, Vrindavan, U.P., India.

In internet I found the following verses:
    From Skanda Purana:
    NIRMITA TVAM PURA DEVAIR ARCITA TVAM SURASURAIH
    TULASI HARA ME PAPAM PUJAM GRHNA NAMOSTUTE

Oh Tulasi, you previously appeared in this world due to the demigods. The
    demigods and demons together worship you. Please remove all of my sins. I pay
    my obeisances unto you.

YA DRSTA NIKHILA AGHA SANGHA SAMANI SPRSTA VAPUH PAVANI
    ROGANAM ABHIVANDITA NIRASINI SIKTANTAKA TRASINI
    PRATYA SATTI VIDHAYINI BHAGAVATAH KRSNASYA SAMROPITA
    NYASTA TACCARANE VIMUKTI PHALADA TASYAI NAMAH

Just by looking at you (Tulasi), all sins become removed. Just by touching
    you, one's body becomes pure. By praying to her, all diseases practically
    become removed. If one waters her or makes her wet, the fear of Yamaraja
    (death personified) is destroyed. Just by planting or transplanting, one
    achieves nearness to the Supreme Personality of Godhead. If someone offers
    Tulasi at the lotus feet of Lord Sri Krsna, she awards liberation and devotion
    to Him, therefore I pay my humble obeisances to such a wonderful Tulasidevi.

HITVA TIRTHA-SAHASRANI SARVAN API SILOCCAYAN
    TULASI KANANE NITYAM KALAU TISTHATI KESAVAH

In Kali-yuga, Lord Sri Kesava, after giving up thousands of places of
    pilgrimage and holy days, He resides in the forest of Tulasidevi.

DRSTVA SPRSTVA TATHA DHYATA KIRTITA NAMITA SRTA
    ROPITA SEVITA NITYAM PUJITA TULASI SUBHA
    NAVADHA TULASIM NITYAM YE BHAJANTI DINE DINE
    YUGA KOTI SAHASRANI TE VASANTI HARER GRHE

Any person who daily sees Tulasi, touches Tulasi, chants Tulasi's prayers,
    meditates on Tulasi, pays obeisances to her, hears about her, transplants and
    worships her, he achieves all auspiciousness. Any person who does these nine
    kinds of service goes to the abode of the Supreme Lord Hari and remains there
    eternally.

SNANE DANE TATHA DHYANE PRASANE KESAVA ARCANE
    TULASI DAHATE PAPAM ROPANE KIRTANE KALAU

In Kali-yuga, Tulasidevi burns up all of a person's sins who bathes her,
    gives her in charity, meditates on her, eats her leaves, worships Lord Sri
    Kesava with her, transplants her or sings her glories.

TULASY ALANKRTA YE YE TULASI NAMA JAPAKAH
    TULASI VANA PALAYE TE TYAJYA DURATO BHATAH

[Yamaraja instructs
    his messengers]Oh messengers, anybody who is decorated with Tulasi wood or chants her name,
    always protects a Tulasi forest, you should give up bringing such persons to
    my abode.

YASMIN GRHE DVIJA SRESTHA TULASIMULA MRTTIKA
    SARVADA TISTHATE DEHE DEVATA NA SA MANUSA
    TULASI MRTTIKA YATRA KASTHAM PATRAN CA VESMANI
    TISTHATE MUNI SARDULA NISCALAM VAISNAVA PADAM

[Conversation between Lord
    Brahma and Narada Muni]Oh best among the brahmanas, in anybody's house or on his body, if the mud
    from Tulasi is available, they are not just men, but they are equal to the
    demigods. Oh best among the sages, in anyone's house, if there is the clay of
    Tulasi, Tulasi wood, and Tulasi leaves available, that house is certainly a
    place of Lord Visnu.

YAH KURYAT TULASI KASTHAIR AKSA MALAM SURUPINIM
    KANTHA MALAM CA YATNENA KRTAM TASYAKSAYAM BHAVET

[Conversation
    between Lord Brahma and Narada Muni]Any person who makes a beautiful japamala or neck beads out of Tulasi wood
    and uses them, if he does not perform any worship to Lord Sri Visnu, all of
    his activities become unlimitedly resultful.

YASYA NABHI STHITAM PATRAM MUKHE SIRASI KARNAYOH
    TULASI SAMBHAVAM NITYAM TIRTHAIS TASYA MAKHAIS CA KIM

If anyone daily has Tulasi leaves on his navel, in his mouth, on his head, or
    on both of his ears, what is the use of him going to the places of pilgrimage
    in this world?

YAH KASCIT VAISNAVO LOKE MITHYACARO'PY ANASRAMI
    PUNATI SAKALAN LOKAN SIRASA TULASIM VAHAN

If any Vaisnava in this world becomes a liar or becomes degraded from his own
    asrama, if he has a Tulasi leaf on his head, he can alone purify the three
    worlds.

BHAKSITAM LUBDHAKENAPI PATRAM TULASI SAMBHAVAM
    PASCAD DISTANTAM APANNO BHASMI BHUTAM KALEVARAM
    SITA SITAM YATHA NIRAM SARVA PAPA KSAYAVAHAM
    TATHA CA TULASI PATRAM PRASITAM SARVA KAMADAM

Even if a most sinful hunter eats a Tulasi leaf and dies afterwards, whatever
    sins he has in his body turn into ashes. As whitish and blackish water (Ganges
    and Yamuna water) remove all kinds of sins, in the very same way, white
    (green) and black Tulasis removes all kinds of sins, and if he eats these
    leaves (after offering them to Lord Krsna), all of his desires are perfectly
    achieved.

KRTVA PAPA SAHASRANI PURVE VAYASI MANAVAH
    TULASI BHAKSANAN MUCYET SRUTAM ETAT PURA HAREH

[Conversation between Vasistha and
    King Mandhata]Any person, in his young age commits thousands of sins but later on eats a
    Tulasi leaf, he becomes free from all sins. This narration was heard
    previously near Lord Sri Hari.

From Padma Purana:
    DARSANAM NARMADAYAS TU GANGA SNANAM VISAM VARA
    TULASI DALA SAMSPARSAH SAMAM ETAT TRAYAM SMRTAM
    ROPANAT PALANAT SEKAD DARSANAT SPARSANAT NRNAM
    TULASI DAHATE PAPAM VANG MANAH KAYA SANCITAM

Oh best of the Vaisyas, seeing Narmada, taking bath in the Ganges, and
    touching Tulasi leaves are equally meritorious. If somebody plants, protects,
    waters, sees or touches Tulasi, then that person's sins acquired by body, mind
    and words are burnt into ashes.

YAD GRHE TULASI BHATI RAKSABHIR JALASECANAIH
    TAD GRHAM YAMA DUTAS CA DURATO VARJAYANTI HI

In any house where Tulasi Maharani is very carefully protected and watered,
    the messengers of Yamaraja give up that house from a distance.

From Garuda Purana:
    TULASI VAPITA YENA PUNYARAME VANE GRHE
    PAKSINDRA TENA SATYOKTAM LOKAH SAPTA PRATISTHITAH

Oh king of the birds (Garuda), anyone who has planted a garden of Tulasi,
    either in the forest or in the house, I truthfully say that he has won the
    seven planetary systems.

From BRHAN NARADIYA PURANA:
    SANSARA-PAPA VICCHEDI GANGA NAMA PRAKIRTITAM
    TATHA TULASYA BHAKTIS CA HARI KIRTI PRAVAKTARI

As by chanting the name of Ganges, one becomes free from all kinds of worldly
    sins, if someone chants the name of Tulasi or chants the glories of Lord Hari
    with devotion, he gets the same merit.

TRNANI TULASI MULAT YAVANTYAPAHINOTI VAI
    TAVATTIR BRAHMA HATYA HI CHINATY EVA NASAMSAYAH

[Conversation between
    Yamaraja and Bhagiratha] Anybody who removes the straw or dirt from the root of Tulasidevi, as many as
    he has removed, that many sinful reactions of killing brahmanas will be
    removed from him without a doubt.

DURLABHA TULASI SEVA DURLABHA SUNGATIH SATAM
    DURLABHA HARI BHAKTIS CA SANSARARNAVA-PATINAM

Those people who have fallen in the midst of this material world, among them
    worship of Tulasi is very rare, the association of real saintly persons is
    very rare, and real devotion to Lord Hari is also very rare.

nice collection, thanks

ramkish toughguy.net namaste

Welcome to Santana dharma forums

taking a break from ffi huh ?

Looking forward to your enthusiastic posts.

Re: The importance of Tulasi

Namaste all.

Every home with a Tulasi plant is a place of pilgrimage, and no diseases, messengers of Yama, the God of Death, can enter it.
    Skandapurana 2, 4, 8, 13 Padmapurana Uttarakhanda

Wherever the aroma of Tulasi is carried by the wind, it purifies the atmosphere and frees all animals from all baser tendencies.
    Padmapurana, Uttarakhanda

Vishnu, the Lord of the Three Worlds, takes up abode in the village or the house where Tulasi is grown. In such a house no one suffers calamities like poverty, illness or separations from dear ones.
    Padmapurana, Uttarakhanda, 6-24-31-32

By http://www.vrindavan-dham.com/vrinda/songs-prayers.php
    Sri Tulasi Pradaksina Mantra
    yani kani ca papani
    brahma-hatyadikani ca
    tani tani pranasyanti
    pradaksinah pade pade

yani kani--whatever; ca--and; papani--sins; brahma-hatya--killing of a brahmana; adikani--and so on; ca--also, tani tani--all of them; pranasyanti--are destroyed; pradaksinah--(by) the circumambulation (of Tulasi-devi); pade pade--at every step.

By the circumambulation of Srimati Tulasi-devi all the sins that one may have committed are destroyed at every step, even the sin of killing a brahmana.

Asta-Nama-Stava from the Padma Purana The Eight Names of Vrinda-devi

Vrindavani, vrinda, visvapujita, pushpasara, nandini, Krishna-jivani, visva-pavani, tulasi

VRINDAVANI - One who first manifested in Vrindavan.
    VRINDA - The goddess of all plant and trees ( even if one Tulasi plant is present in a forest it can be called Vrindavana.)
    VISHVAPUJITA - One whom the whole universe worships.
    PUSHPASARA - The topmost of all flowers, without whom Krishna does not like to look upon other flowers.
    NANDINI - Seeing whom gives unlimited bliss to the devotees.
    KRISHNA-JIVANI - The life of Sri Krishna.
    VISHVA-PAVANI - One who purifies the three worlds.
    TULASI - One who has no comparison.

108 names of Tulasi-devi

om shri tulasyai namah
    om nandinyai namah
    om devyai namah
    om shikhinyai namah
    om dharinyai namah
    om dhatryai namah
    om savitryai namah
    om satyasandhayai namah
    om kalaharinyai namah
    om gauryai namah
    om devagitayai namah
    om draviyasyai namah
    om padminyai namah
    om sitayai namah
    om rukminyai namah
    om priyabhuushanayai namah
    om shreyasyai namah
    om shrimatyai namah
    om manyayai namah
    om gauryai namah
    om gautamarchitayai namah
    om tretayai namah
    om tripathagayai namah
    om tripadayai namah
    om traimuurtyai namah
    om jagatrayayai namah
    om trasinyai namah
    om gatrayai namah
    om gatriyayai namah
    om garbhavarinyai namah
    om shobhanayai namah
    om samayai namah
    om dviradayai namah
    om aradyai namah
    om yagyavidyayai namah
    om mahavidyayai namah
    om guhyavidyayai namah
    om kamaksyai namah
    om kulayai namah
    om shriyai namah
    om bhuumyai namah
    om bhavitryai namah
    om savitryai namah
    om saravedavidamvarayai namah
    om shankhinyai namah
    om chakrinyai namah
    om charinyai namah
    om chapaleksanayai namah
    om pitambarayai namah
    om prota somayai namah
    om saurasayai namah
    om aksinyai namah
    om ambayai namah
    om sarasvatyai namah
    om samshrayayai namah
    om sarva devatyai namah
    om vishvashrayayai namah
    om sugandhinyai namah
    om suvasanayai namah
    om varadayai namah
    om sushronyai namah
    om chandrabhagayai namah
    om yamunapriyayai namah
    om kaveryai namah
    om manikarnikayai namah
    om archinyai namah
    om sthayinyai namah
    om danapradayai namah
    om dhanavatyai namah
    om sochyamanasayai namah
    om shuchinyai namah
    om shreyasyai namah
    om pritichinteksanyai namah
    om vibhuutyai namah
    om akrityai namah
    om avirbhuutyai namah
    om prabhavinyai namah
    om gandhinyai namah
    om svarginyai namah
    om gadayai namah
    om vedyayai namah
    om prabhayai namah
    om sarasyai namah
    om sarasivasayai namah
    om sarasvatyai namah
    om sharavatyai namah
    om rasinyai namah
    om kalinyai namah
    om shreyovatyai namah
    om yamayai namah
    om brahmapriyayai namah
    om shyamasundarayai namah
    om ratnaruupinyai namah
    om shamanidhinyai namah
    om shatanandayai namah
    om shatadyutaye namah
    om shitikanthayai namah
    om prayayai namah
    om dhatryai namah
    om shri vrindavanyai namah
    om krishnayai namah
    om bhaktavatsalayai namah
    om gopikakridayai namah
    om harayai namah
    om amritaruupinyai namah
    om bhuumyai namah
    om shri krishnakantayai namah
    om shri tulasyai namah

Regards,
    Orlando.

I have been looking for Tulsi plant here in Canada but can't find it anywhere...maybe it has some 'european' name? Anyone know where to find this plant in the west?
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay
    I have been looking for Tulsi plant here in Canada but can't find it anywhere...maybe it has some 'european' name? Anyone know where to find this plant in the west?
    Satay, I think it is called Holy Basil in the west.(Ocimum sanctum)
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

Smile Re: The importance of Tulasi

तुलसी मन्त्रः
    || tulasī mantrah ||

तुलस्यमृतनामासि सदा त्वं केशवप्रिया ।
    tulasyamritanāmāsi sadā tvam keśavapriyā |

स्नानं कुरु महादेवि । कल्याणं कुरु सर्वदा ॥
    snānam kuru mahādevi | kalyānam kuru sarvadā ||

Thread Information