Is anyone here a member of the Swaminarayan sect? I have read that it is a bhakti movement that emerged from the Sri Sampradaya, and that the philosophy is mostly based on Vishishtadvaita. I visited a Swaminarayan temple once here in the USA. I spoke to one if the Sannyasis through a translator because I don't speak Gujarati.

Are there many (or any) non-hindu Swaminarayan sannyasis? The reason I ask, is because (in my limited experience) I don't see them trying to convert many westerners. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It seems like the centers in the USA are built and maintained by the Indian communities in the area. I know it's mostly Gujarati, but others hindus, especially Vaishnavas, celebrate holidays there too.

I had a very nice experience when I visited. I was given a book of bhajans, a small book on love of God, a picture, and delicious prasadam. In my discussion with the temple priest, I learned that the Acharya of the sampradaya was coming from India soon. It was recommended that I attend and ask for diksha. The sannyasi said that they would be glad to send me to India, where I would learn and do purashcarya for 10 years before initiation into the sannyasa order. I didn't do it, because of foolishness... I think. I am 27 years old. Light skin, blue eyes. Are there any non-hindu brahmacaris or renunciants in the Swaminarayan sampradaya today?

I regret not taking the offer.