Thread: Description of brahman in Bhagavad Gita

Threaded View

Description of brahman in Bhagavad Gita

Namaste to all

In verse 12 of chapter 13 of BG, sri Krishna says “ I will now describe what one should know and knowing which one will attain moksh. It is Brahman , MY attributeless aspect without beginning or end and said to be neither sat nor asat”.

Next, sri Krishna goes on to say about Brahman. In verse 13 of chapter 13 sri Krishna says “ everywhere are His hands and feet ( sarvatah panipadam tat), His eyes, heads and faces are on all sides ( sarvatokshi-shiromutham) and everywhere are His ears ( sarvatah shrutimalloke). He remains encompassing all.

Next, in verse 14 of chapter 13, sri Krishna says “ He seems to have functions of the senses and is yet devoid of the senses, is unattached and yet sustains everything, is unaffected by the gunas and yet enjoy them”.

Next, in verse 15 of chapter 13, sri Krishna says “ He exists without and within all beings. He is unmoving and also moving, He is beyond grasp being too subtle. He is utterly distant and yet so near”.

It is evident from the above verses that although some philosophy describes Brahman as formless nameless attributeless yet BG says that brahman has ears, eyes, heads and faces. He is not inactive. He is moving also. This Brahman does not represent advaitic nirguna nirakar Brahman.

I invite the members of HDF to make comment on these verses of BG. I specially invite Mr. Wundermonk who has termed my original post on Brahman in Gita as jalpa/vitanda. Mr wundermonk,I do not know exactly what do you mean by jalpa or vitanda but now I request you to make your comment on whether the Brahman you follow is same as Brahman described in above verses of BG.

I would like to put another question to you. In verse16 of chapter 15 of BG, sri Krishna says “ In this world there are two types of purushas. Perishable and imperishable. All beings are perishable. The changeless one is said to be imperishable”. Can you tell me who is this imperishable purusha.

Further in verse 17 of chapter 15 sri Krishna says “ there is the supreme person distinct from these ( uttama purusha tvanyah) called the supreme self ( paramatmety udahritah). Can you tell me why this supreme self is distinct from other two purushas ? In Verse 18 of chapter 15 sri Krishna says “ since I transcend the perishable and excel the imperishable, I am known in the Vedas and in this world as the supreme person ( purushottama). I would like to know from you whether this purushottam tattva is same as nirguna nirakar Brahman of advaita. If so, in what respects ?
    Last edited by jopmala; 22 September 2015 at 12:24 PM.

Thread Information