Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WHAT'S THE USE OF BEING A HINDU?

WHAT'S THE USE OF BEING A HINDU?

Namaste HDF

I have come to a conclusion that Hindu(ism) and India are synonymous.

Every one of us agree that Indians had glorious past but due to several reasons living like tribes (ie after the invasion(s) ).

We are all proud of our spritual knowledge. But has it given all of us security and a better standard of life?

Simply to say, WHAT'S THE USE OF BEING A HINDU?
    Last edited by Anirudh; 27 September 2015 at 10:21 AM.
    Anirudh...

Re: WHAT'S THE USE OF BEING A HINDU?

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Simply to say, WHAT'S THE USE OF BEING A HINDU?
    Wish you had started off by giving your answer.
    But here is mine,
    1. It provides a better chance at personal spiritual evolution than anything else.
    2. If properly followed, it gives us peace of mind and a feeling of being fulfilled in life.
    3. It teaches us the right behavior towards others and our duty towards the family/society/mankind.
    4. It teaches us to stand up for 'Dharma'.

Pranam.

I think being a practicing Hindu gives much tolerance towards others, including other religions as well..

In my opinion, there are far more Hindus supporting, even worshiping Abrahamic gods than those of these religions do. Not suggesting it is good (or bad), just saying, Hindus have more tolerance for others that are different from oneself...
    Last edited by Viraja; 27 September 2015 at 02:35 PM.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Vannakkam:

Since I'm not Indian, I guess I'm not Hindu. Shucks.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam:

Since I'm not Indian, I guess I'm not Hindu. Shucks.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste EM ji

My intentions were not to hurt you. I am sorry if I had hurt you.

However I am not going to EDIT my post.

It is because

1. Indians are fighting for their existence and religious freedom in their (present) homeland. Although I am not aware of the issues faced by Hindus living in different parts of the world, with a certain amount of confidence will say that all practicing Hindus face security challengesat various levels.

2. I wish someone here explains clearly the meaning of Bharathvarsh without hurting others sentiments.

Now one might ask me why did I raise this question ? I will answer in a separate post.
    Anirudh...

Namaste Believer ji

Thanks for the reply. I am too young to comment on first three. In my understanding the last point sums up everything. So....

. It teaches us to stand up for 'Dharma'.
    I assume the meaning of Dharma as righteousness. In that context, does every practicing HINDU has the moral OBLIGATION to stand up against the deterioration of DHARMA? OR Should HE / SHE wait till SOMEONE (could even be Shiva or Vishnu or Parvathi etc etc ) to appear and restore DHARMA?

Lets say DHARMA means TRUTH, aren't WE morally bound to spread the light of TRUTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

But here is mine,
    1. It provides a better chance at personal spiritual evolution than anything else.
    2. If properly followed, it gives us peace of mind and a feeling of being fulfilled in life.
    3. It teaches us the right behavior towards others and our duty towards the family/society/mankind.
    4. It teaches us to stand up for 'Dharma'.

Pranam.
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste EM ji

My intentions were not to hurt you.
    Vannakkam: Trust me you didn't. 'Shucks' is a jesting word, that means "I differ, but it's not important at all." It's a way of saying you disagree, but not in any serious way. I'm an honorary Indian by most friends standards anyway.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

In my 40+ years of existence have to come to a conclusion that the USE of being an HINDU is to live an attached and detached life. Let me explain :

As a father I am attached to the well being of my family but as an HINDU I am also aware that I am here to execute the roles and responsibility of a FATHER with a underlying fact that while executing my roles and responsibilities shouldn't be emotionally attached to that ROLE. That constant thought enables ME to establish TRUTH in my every action. That means principles of Hinduism EMPOWER me to not get addicted to the ROLE of a FATHER but STILL play the role of a FATHER.

RULES and RESPONSIBILITIES might vary depending on the SECT (like Vaishnava, Shaiva etc etc) one belongs to or has selected to follow. BUT the SECT shouldn't create shades of TRUTH.
    Anirudh...

Namaste Viraja

I think being a practicing Hindu gives much tolerance towards others, including other religions as well..
    Can we tolerate ASATHYA? I didn't mean HINDUS are epitome of TRUTH and others are not. But being tolerant to evil is not Hinduism at all. So why should we tolerate ?

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post

In my opinion, there are far more Hindus supporting, even worshiping Abrahamic gods than those of these religions do. Not suggesting it is good (or bad), just saying, Hindus have more tolerance for others that are different from oneself...
    Anirudh...

Namaste EM ji

I had started my post with a statement that the word Hindus and Indians are synonymous.

Kalicharan Tuvij and I had a discussion to understand whether Hindu / Hinduism is a Persian word. He informed that the word Hindu is derived from the root word Indu. I couldn't get the link of that discussion. Give me some time to search that thread.

The word (geographical area of ) Bharathvarsh as I understand is beyond the boundaries of present India.

Someone should should clarify me whether it denotes entire earth or EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Trust me you didn't. 'Shucks' is a jesting word, that means "I differ, but it's not important at all." It's a way of saying you disagree, but not in any serious way. I'm an honorary Indian by most friends standards anyway.

Aum Namasivaya
    Anirudh...

Thread Information