Thread: Orphaned Lingam - What to do?

Orphaned Lingam - What to do?

Namaste ji,

This is something that has been troubling me for a while now. I hope perhaps some here may have some suggestions. I've tried to just let it go, but its not working, its troubling me, so there's a reason and there's something I should do but I don't know what.

A few weeks ago I went on a trip with some cousins to a nearby town known for its Wiccan population and stores. There was a time, more than 20 years ago, that I explored the Wiccan movement. It wasn't for me. But the town is an old haunt of mine and I haven't been for a very long time, so it was a fun idea to revisit it and also spend time with Family.

One of the first few stores we entered is owned by the daughter of a woman who was a big figure in the Wiccan movement, but who has admitted now that she herself doesn't really believe anything and mostly did all that for money and fame. She sold her shop some years ago, it is still run by the people who bought it, and her daughter started a new one. That store has a similar lack of spiritual glow to it that her mother's store had, and I feel its a similar reason - she's capitalizing on the concept of Wicca and Neo-Paganism and herself doesn't really care.

While looking around, I was shocked to find a large Narmada Lingam - at least 16 inches in length, perhaps more, and quite heavy. It was left lying on the floor on its side, no Yoni, under a shelf, gathering dust. It made me so sad to see. There were other Narmada Lingams in another store further in town, but they at least were cared for somewhat (not correctly, but still cared for) and had some honor of a description of what they were and what they represented. This single one though, in that first store, did not have any of that. It made an impression on me that I cannot shake. In fact, I knelt down to pick it up and it cut my finger - though after looking over it I couldn't find any damage or sharp thing that could have cut me. The stone felt... forgotten and dusty, drained, I don't know how to describe it.

I have asked a knowledgeable and good friend about all of this, and his suggestion is that the stone has started to pick up and reflect the negative energy of the store, the lack of respect and the capitalist energy there. He also suggested the cut may have been a bit of a warning that I should stay away from such godless places. I can't disagree with these thoughts, it makes sense. But I still can't shake the memory or the feeling that there's something I'm meant to do. To be honest, I really want to get that Lingam out of that store, or to get that store to at least treat it better. But I can't keep a Lingam of that size, it's a size that belongs in a small community Temple, too big for a home... and it needs a Yoni, so would any community temple accept it without one? A friend of mine thinks no.

So, I've tried to let this thing go, but after weeks I still can't shake it off. When I worship at my altar or the Narmada Lingam at Temple, I especially think of that one and I feel for it. I don't really know what to do, but since it won't go away I feel I'm supposed to do something... Does anyone have ay thoughts on this and/or any suggestions? My deep thanks for any guidance.

~Pranamo
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Re: Orphaned Lingam - What to do?

Namaste Anandini ji,

I don't know if I am the right person to help you as my statement may touch your soft feelings for the Lingam rather harshly. However, my take on this is :

Any Lingam or whatever is just a piece of stone until you start seeing God or any negative / positive energy in it. Yes, if you harbour any belief related with that piece of stone ... your mind-waves would impart /attract positive / negative energy from yourself or from your surroundings. This may give rise to some un-explainable phenomena. The more you think that way, the more you attract those energies or create that energy yourself which is likely to disturb you. Why is it so ? This is because your/our mind is reflected consciousness of God and it is the most powerful thing in this relative plane of existence.

So, my advice is :

Shake off any such thoughts from your mind. Not that stone but your own thoughts are troubling you in this case. The more you get involved with it, the more reality you will impart to any fantasy that you have associated to that stone ... and it will certainly start affecting your peace of mind. So, what to do ? Believe in yourself and if that is not enough, believe in the power of Lord Shiva who is the master of all such positive/negative energies. No power in the universe can harm you till you are taking the shelter of Lord Shiva. So, start chanting "Om Namah ShivAya". Do this japa everyday for say 108 times or more if you can do. Whenever the thought of that stone disturbs you, start chanting this mantra within your mind. Focus your mind on Lord Shiva and fully surrender to his grace. No harm can ever touch you. Believe me.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste Devotee ji,

No worries at all, I see nothing harsh or wrong in your thoughts. You're absolutely correct, the stone is a symbol and symbols, for the most part, have only the power we give them ourselves.

That said, there are some that have an intrinsic power, even if it's only a small power which attracts an individual to a new symbol they haven't seen before. For instance, some Lingams are said to be Swayambhu, they need no charging by others with ritual and chant and prayer. Mahakaaleshwar Jyotirlingam in Ujjain is said to be one such. And I have been taught that Narmada Lingams are as well, though not nearly as powerful until charged by devotees.

Even if none of this is true, it is true that Bhagavan resides in all things and all beings. Bhagavan resides in that stone as well, which was presumably polished and blessed before leaving India and making its way to that store. He would have resided in it even if it were not a true Narmada Lingam, but regardless it is still His symbol.

Please don't misunderstand me, i am not worried, and I don't think any harm can or would come to me at all. I have no fears. I understand completely what you mean, Sri Shiva is all, good and bad is an illusion of the material. I get it.

My question, and my concern (not a worry), is regarding the treatment of the symbol of the facet of the Lord to whom I have deep love and bhakti. Even if it were a facet I have no connection with I would be bothered at such treatment, though I don't usually see such things. This stone is a symbol, and a special one as far as Lingams go, and as I do get troubled by perceived disrespect and injustice to any person, being or symbol, this to simply troubles me. When I see these things, if there is something I can do to intervene, I usually try. I would like to here as well, but I don't know what the correct action is. That's all. I am not in deep turmoil or worry and I don't fear anything. So don't worry about my peace of mind.

Thank you for your suggestions. I actually do these things already. First I hoped it would slowly stop thoughts about the stone, then when that didn't work I hoped to get some inspiration for what to do. It's been weeks. It finally occurred to me to ask here, is all.

Thank you again, friend. I appreciate your thoughtful response. ^_^ _/\_

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Vannakkam ... Interesting.

A similar thing happened to me, except it was new agey mineral store and it had at least 100 lingams in various sizes being sold as 'healing stones'. The largest was at least that size, perhaps bigger. I felt odd about it and for a few years dwelt on what to do, besides buying them all, as I couldn't afford it. So eventually I just had to do something, and went back and purchased the largest one they had. I kept it wrapped in fine cloth in the corner of our shrine room, as I didn't really want to activate it for mystical reasons of what a house is.

At first I asked our local temple (the one I go to) if we could build an outdoor narmada lingam shrine, but it's not their custom, and it took forever for the board to get back. Then I heard about a new temple north of here, so called and offered it to them. The main sponsor/organiser accepted the offer, so we made the 5 hour drive and left it with them. Over the next year or so, before they had their prana pratishta, he ordered a base made from India, and we got invited to the grand opening.

Word got out somehow who has sponsored it, and a few individuals came by thanking me, and expressing how a lingam like that really added to the temple. It sort of has a shrine to itself, and devotees do abhishekham.

Just a thought ... is there a nearby temple just getting going? I'm sure that lingam would love a real home.

Aum namasivaya

Namastey Anandiniiji,

For a sincere devotee a linga is not just a block of stone. A linga is all about energy and consciousness. And Narmada Lingam is said to have highest frequency of vibration. Many scriptures explain the worshipping of Narmada Lingam as on of the holiest and sacred object on earth. That Narmada Lingam can be kept in the temple and has no harmful effects beacuse worshipping one Narmada Lingam = worshiping crores of other lingas. It doesn't require any procedure to install a Narmada lingam nor any other invocation ritual. Its worship is secure.
    I hope if this can clear at least some doubt from your mind.
    ~Hari OM

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    Even if none of this is true, it is true that Bhagavan resides in all things and all beings. Bhagavan resides in that stone as well, which was presumably polished and blessed before leaving India and making its way to that store. He would have resided in it even if it were not a true Narmada Lingam, but regardless it is still His symbol.
    I considered what you have offered and suggest if I may a ~slight~ modification ... all things reside in Him. This is supported by our śāstra-s and āgama-s.
    Not even one blade of grass moves in this entire universe that He is not aware of ( so say the wise).

Regarding this liṅgam - recall ( as you know I am sure) this term means 'mark or symbol'. For many this ~stone~ is the outward symbol of the formless, boundless reality we wish to call śiva.
    That (liṅgam) is for our use, to remind us of this Supreme Reality. Yet if all things ( including you , me this typing pad, the earth, moon, all of everything and of no thing) are within him
    then is seems our duty is to see 'all' as the mark or characteristic (liṅgam) of Him, no ? What then can I walk away from ? I am walking on Him at the same time.

You are liṅgāṅgasāmarasya in the final analysis ( when the final ahh-ha! occurs for one's self) - this liṅgāṅgasāmarasya is the identity in essence between you and
    śiva;
    That is, the limb or branch ( you, sometimes called aṅga) comes to the realization, the re-recognition, that I am the sap; that which nourishes this whole tree - code for the whole universe, for
    the inexpressible Reality of Being, śiva.

Now, what to do with this liṅgam you see in the store ? Do as you see fit.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste EM ji,
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Just a thought ... is there a nearby temple just getting going? I'm sure that lingam would love a real home.

Aum namasivaya
    Thank you so much for sharing! That is a wonderful thing you did. I had a similar thought at one point, but my neighbor thought that without a base no one would take the Lingam. Hearing your experience gives me confidence that someone might. There are a couple of temples in Eastern Ma. that are breaking ground soon on an actual Temple construction. I will look into contacting them.

Namaste Suhita ji,
    Quote Originally Posted by Suhita View Post
    ...I hope if this can clear at least some doubt from your mind.
    Thank you for taking the time to respond. Yes, this is largely my own understanding.

Namaste Yajvan ji,
    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    I considered what you have offered and suggest if I may a ~slight~ modification ... all things reside in Him. This is supported by our śāstra-s and āgama-s.
    Not even one blade of grass moves in this entire universe that He is not aware of ( so say the wise).
    Now, what to do with this liṅgam you see in the store ? Do as you see fit.
    Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply, and for the modification. On reflection I believe I understand the distinction between the two descriptions, where I did not before. Would it be supported to say both? All things reside in Him and He resides in all things?

I understand what you say on an intellectual level, and know it to be true, but I have yet to realize, or experience. I still become caught up in the web of duality too often.

I will try and find a community temple that will take it and donate it to them, as EM ji suggested and as I had considered before talking to my neighbor.

~Pranamo
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Thread Information