Thread: Out of tune...

Out of tune...

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

It seems to me the more I look the more I see us collectively out of tune. I think of a piano that is just off tune…
    yet over time the slight off-tune is taken to be ~ normal ~.

The common piano’s middle C is most often recognized in terms of pitch . It is middle C because it is the 4th C within an 88 keyboard.
    When it comes to tuning a piano the notion of ‘equal temperament’ is used. Middle C plays its role as the reference point for the anchor
    note of A ( or vibration) is used, which is the 1st A above middle C; every pitch may be derived from its relationship to a chosen fixed pitch,
    and that is to this A note ( or 440 Hz vibration).

Fine tuning occurs when all the other notes align to this foundational note of A within the piano being tuned. Pending the age of the piano, the
    wood, its moisture content , its environment ( hot, cold, dry, humid) the
    tuning may require some slight modifications so the piano plays in concert
    to itself in a harmonious way.

Another way of looking at this ‘off tune’ is that of a radio. The station drifts and then the listener is adjusting the knob to get the station strength back
    to its optimal setting so the fidelity comes though and the sound
    is most crisp and clear.

It seems to me that many in our society do not know of this tuning ability within themselves. That over time one’s views, perceptions,
    mental health ~ drifts~ like the radio station. The new location of the station seems
    to be ‘good enough’ and that is now taken as normal,
    one’s
    equal temperament is lost or was never really established. One’s view of the world is now ‘blemished’ by this off-station location.

It is my humble opinion that one’s spiritual unfoldment is the method to keep one in tune. The native or aspirant can do general things for one’s well-being
    AND society’s well-being by their alignment to good mental health ( equal temperament).
    There are some that want to advance even further and this may require
    a ‘pianoforte’. This is the name given in years past for the piano tuner professional.

In my analogy (upamitti¹) this would be the guru, or ācārya¹, teacher or paṇḍita¹ . Some are fortunate to meet this person, others not so much.
    But in either case, one does not need to leave their unfoldment to the capricious direction of the winds.

For me I see 3 components/qualities or stations (tryadhiṣṭhāna¹) where equal temperament blossoms to its fullest ( other’s here on HDF may differ).
    Now I choose my support from a luminary utpaladevācārya¹ who could say it much better than I ever could. Let me offer these 3 for your kind consideration.

• First, let my mind take a dive into that lake of pure awareness/pure consciousness ( this is code for śivatattva or Pure Being )
    • Next, let me be without rāga dveṣa; let me be with balanced perception ( equal temperament) on all sides.
    • And, the third one is this: bhagavannānandarasa plutāstu ne cinmayī mūrtiḥ ||

• This 3rd one says,
        bhagavan (Lord), let me (astu) exchange (me) this individuality (mūrtiḥ) and become submerged/filled (pluta) with the nectar (rasa)of joy/pure happiness (ānanda) of pure being/pure awareness (cinmayī) or god consciousness.

These three all work together…it is one view from 3 different windows. if I may ( as it is a joy for me to comment on this 3) let me take up the insights to the 3 above in
    the next post.

iti śivaṁ

words

• upamitti - knowledge of things derived from analogy or resemblance
    • ācārya is the master, knowing or teaching the ācāra or rules, the spiritual guide
    • paṇḍita – learned, wise, ‘well versed’ scholar , philosopher
    • tryadhiṣṭhāna – having 3 stations
    • Utpaladevācārya’s three notions comes from his śivastortāvalī stotram
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Out of tune...

Namaskāra Yajvan...

May I suggest to look around a bit harder? I notice the piano hasn't been tuned in over 50 years, some of the keys have fallen off, and some of the strings were removed to tie the abandoned building's windows shut. This is a major restoration project for the world. This is the piano's condition in my part of the world. Where do we start? Do we take the piano out of the abandoned building of Western Civilization to start with and put it within the work room of the Temple that represents SD? Remember, not only did SD sacred festivals, pūjās, etc. happen there, but learning happened there, too, as is the learning of Saṃskṛta happening in my Temple starting with the kids. Once the piano is in the proper environment, then it can undergo restoration and reach its expression of enlightenment.

Praṇāma

Re: Out of tune...

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

These three all work together…it is one view from 3 different windows. if I may ( as it is a joy for me to comment on this 3) let me take up the insights to the 3

First

First let me dive into the lake of pure awareness. When this nimajjana¹ ( immersion) occurs, when one is immersed in pure awareness;
    one’s differentiated awareness (bhinnavedyatā) is consumed by whole and undifferentiated awareness.
    That pure awareness has been called a lake by the wise, sarasvati. Sarasvatī has multiple definitions e.g. a river, a region abounding in pools and lakes.
    Many know her as devī. So with one word we are able to bring in the purity of water + divinity (sarasvatī) in one swoop.
    Bedha ( difference) is left behind. The term bedhādhīnam is used in the śloka I am referring to. It means ‘to turn the mind towards’ (adhīna) + differences (bedha);
    this is what is left behind.

So, as one plunges into this lake one leaves differences behind – that is, the ups-and-downs of life, a world of differences and pieces, of this and that; a myriad of
    feelings, notions and ideas ( both good , bad or indifferent); Within this lake one finds the delight (sarasvatī is also defined as ‘finding pleasure and delight’ )
    the wholeness, even-ness (niḥśeṣa¹).

Next
    Next, let me be without rāga dveṣa. Now what is this ? Rāga = vehement desire of ( some just call attachment). And
    this dveṣa = dislike or repugnance to. So with Rāga we have attraction and with dveṣa we have repulsion.
    One is to bring near and the other is to push away. Hence ‘let me be without rāga dveṣa; let me be with balanced perception ( equal temperament) on all sides.’
    means let me have even-ness, balance. It is not that I do not want to see this attraction and repulsion, I just do not wish to be moved by it in any way.
    From post 1 above this would be the paradigm of equal temperament.

Note how the first two qualities complement each other ? Within this level of pure awareness differentiated consciousness is now wholeness. If
    one is steeped (nimajjana) in this wholeness , where then can there be push or pull of rāga & dveṣa ?
    Yet there is a finer point here… with qualities one and two just visited this can occur while eyes are closed… all is well when the eyes are closed
    and one is experiencing the benefits, nectar as it’s called samādhi with eyes closed. Yet upon opening the eyes the world returns and apūrṇa ( non-whole,
    differentiated) returns. This is why utpaladevācārya offers the 3rd quality…

The 3rd
    bhagavannānandarasa plutāstu me cinmayī mūrtiḥ ||

Let my individuality be filled with pure awareness, with Being, with (cinmayī) or god consciousness. This clearly informs us
    it will be there when the eyes are open or closed. Pūrṇa ( wholeness) is never lost. Hence one is always within this equal temperament.
    One is never swayed between the push-and-pull (rāga & dveṣa) of life. One’s even-ness is a way of life.

When this is one’s nature, then one is perfectly tuned . He or she uplifts society; they are the perfect ‘pianoforte’ piano tuner, from post 1 above.
    Whether they talk or do not talk there is only sattva from them. When people are arund them they become tuned automatically while
    they are with this beacon of wholeness. No different then the tuning folk that is stuck and placed upon another object ( say the top of
    the piano) that wood vibrates with the same quality of that tuning fork.

iti śivaṁ

words

• bhinnavedyatā= bhinna+vedyatā bhinna = distinct , different from or other, ~differentiated~ + vedyatā = restrained or held ( yata) knowledge (veda)
    • nimajjana - bathing , diving , sinking , immersion; to plunge into; some use this as ‘to drown’
    • ​niḥśeṣa – w/o remainder, finished, complete, totally(sarasvatī is also defined as ‘finding pleasure and delight’.

Last edited by yajvan; 09 October 2015 at 06:52 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information