Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hanuman - Why is he associated with Tuesday and Saturday?

Hanuman - Why is he associated with Tuesday and Saturday?

Namaste,

An interesting conversation erupted between my mother and me. I told her that in North India, Hanuman ji is represented with Sindoor smeared all over, signifying Mangal (Mars). And that because of this signification (for which I know not the reason) and for similar reasons, Tuesdays and Saturdays are auspicious to Hanuman ji. My mother said this is not so, and that only Thursdays are auspicious for Hanuman ji.

I would like to know the real reason behind associated any particular days of the week behind Hanuman ji worship.

Thanks.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Hanuman - Why is he associated with Tuesday and Saturday?

Vannakkam Viraja: I've never gotten this day of the week thing in any way because it's not how our calendar is based, but a foreign calendar. Unless those guys got it from us, maybe I'm wrong.

Editted to add... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Week

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I would like to know the real reason behind associated any particular days of the week behind Hanuman ji worship.
    The answer to your question is based upon the relationship of Mars and Saturn.

You will find the answers within HDF; please let us know your conclusions regarding Tuesday’s and Saturday’s.
    Also – there is more if you search on the term hanuman or hanuman-ji.

hints:

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...hlight=hanuman

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...uman-ji+saturn

Look to post 18 and 19 here:
    http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...ght=hanuman-ji

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

EMji: Thanks for the information. If the days of the week are solely regarded as Western and thus having no roots or place in our system, many pariharas/remedies performed to the grahas will have no place... I look upon some learned member to comment on his/her observation.

Yajvan ji: Thanks for the links. I went through them. In 2 - 3 places, the links declare Hanuman ji to be Mars. It appears that owing to the factor 'Bala' (Strength), and Valor, along with bravery, Hanuman ji is regarded as Mars. But I heard Saturday represented by Saturn is also auspicious to him. I guess that is so because of tapasya (penance) aspect of Hanuman ji. In one of the links, it is said that Saturn signifies tapasya.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Yajvan ji: Thanks for the links. I went through them. In 2 - 3 places, the links declare Hanuman ji to be Mars. It appears that owing to the factor 'Bala' (Strength), and Valor, along with bravery, Hanuman ji is regarded as Mars. But I heard Saturday represented by Saturn is also auspicious to him. I guess that is so because of tapasya (penance) aspect of Hanuman ji. In one of the links, it is said that Saturn signifies tapasya.

The answer to your question resides in the rāmāyaṇa; please consider taking a look there.
    There is a relationship between śani and hanuman-ji. Hanuman-ji helps śani and hence śani ( saturn) offers him a boon (āmiṣa).
    In short and not being long-winded on this , śani offers that no grief will come to hanuman-ji or his devotees.

Hence Mars and Saturn ( that own's Tueday's and Saturday's respectively ) are friends. There is recoprocity on those days.

There is much more to the story which you can research and perhaps let us know at HDF on your findings.

iti śivaṁ
    Last edited by yajvan; 16 October 2015 at 12:20 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thanks, Yajvan ji. I will read that story on Saturn and Hanuman ji. Perhaps I will share my insights if any.

Vannakkam Viraja; Regarding the calendar, the reality is that for most it's a combination. For example, I know people who fast on Pradosha and people who fast on Mondays. Some people celebrate Jan.1, others celebrate Tamil New Year, and many celebrate both days as New Years.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Viraja; Regarding the calendar, the reality is that for most it's a combination. For example, I know people who fast on Pradosha and people who fast on Mondays. Some people celebrate Jan.1, others celebrate Tamil New Year, and many celebrate both days as New Years.

Aum Namasivaya
    I don't know much about the usage of Western calendar for religious purposes (hindu, that is), so I cannot comment on it. However it is indeed an interesting topic, EM ji! Thanks for the info...

Namaste Yajvan ji,

Thank you for the feedback regarding the story from Ramayana where there is an interaction between Shani and Hanuman ji. I looked it up. Very interesting indeed!

For those interested: Ravana captures all navagrahas and traps them under his feet for auspicious planetary position and placement for the birth of his son Indrajit. However Shani, with the help of Sage Narada, manages to glance upon Ravana's face which kickstarts all of Ravana's bad times. So Ravana locks up Shani for a very long time in a magical prison without even a ray of light. When Hanuman reaches Lanka, he being a great yogi, sights the magically hidden prison and hears Lord Shani's cries and moanings and rescues him. In return Lord Shani promises Hanuman that whosoever wants to be free of Shanidev's clutches in dasha/gochara, let them pray to Hanuman ji and will never have to fear Shani dev then.

Another story says Shanidev, upon Hanuman ji's rescue, indeed travelled for a bit on Hanuman ji's head and that when Hanuman ji used his head very roughly to destroy things/break down trees, pillars, etc, Shani could not withstand it, and moved away from Hanuman ji, inturn promising that Hanuman ji and his devotees will never feel the wrath of Shanidev ever!

So I see the link between Hanuman ji and Shanidev, thanks for this info, Yajvan ji.

Dear friend ,
    Hanuman was said to be born on Saturday and he met Sitha on tuesday .Thus those two days are important in Hanumath sadhana

Thread Information