Thread: Mysticism in Vaishnava tradition and it's relation to western mysticsm

Mysticism in Vaishnava tradition and it's relation to western mysticsm

Hare Krsna,
    I would like to find out more about mystics and mysticism in vaishnavism and if anyone ever compared scriptures with western mysticism or has done some kind of research?

Re: Mysticism in Vaishnava tradition and it's relation to western mysticsm

Hare KRshNa

Bhagvad prem is mystical when it involves a real relationship with BhagavAn (Supreme) and when the Lord gives the devotee mystical experiences that cannot have a 'rational ' explanation.

** If you look up the word 'mystic' in the dictionaries, it also points to characteristics other than union with the Divine -- such as occult practices. These are not a part of VaishNav mysticism, at least not in my experience.

Many do not understand how God communicates with the devotee, takes them to unworldly places or shows them things that do not 'make sense'. OR they do not believe it in some cases because they assume it is reserved for some avatAr only. That makes it less known, hidden, secret, less acknowledged by others.

Another aspect of the mystical nature of this relationship :
    Apart from the Divine experiences in jAgrat (waking) , dreaming ( swapna) , and especially jagrat-sushupti (between waking and sleep states) ...
    is the mysterious oneness and twoness -- Shri KRshNa is my AtmA. If this is so, what about my AtmA (Self) being me and His AtmA (Self) being Him? How can we be two beings yet One in existence, not just One in thought ? This makes Bhagvad-prem mystical.

How can the devotee be many different 'Ones' at the same time? This is also mystical.
    When the devotee feels, are made to feel, are shown by BhagavAn/Bramhan', that they are not a separate individual from some others, thus they identify with what appears as various Divine personalities who are devotees --- this is mystical.
    Then there is the 'adhyAtmic' connection with others - Saints, Gurus, Divine persons whom you have not met in human form.

All this mysticism has an explanation in Hindu philosophies, and some other traditions such as Christianity also share some of its traits.

Last edited by smaranam; 27 October 2015 at 06:16 AM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Re: Mysticism in Vaishnava tradition and it's relation to western mysticsm

~~~~~
    Last edited by smaranam; 25 October 2015 at 12:44 AM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Thread Information