Thread: Shiva and Saptarishi?

Shiva and Saptarishi?

I am a painter and would like to paint a picture centered around the Seven Sages. I have heard of the Sages gathering with Shiva and receiving great wisdom from him, after which the seven travel out into the world to spread this knowledge. The moment I would like to depict is the Sages gathered around Shiva on the mountain. I am an anglo-american, who has long held interest and studies into Vedic traditions. Because I am representing something outside of my direct culture I want to make sure the story I am depicting can be verified somewhere throughout Vedic tradition. My source of the story is coming from Sadhguru of Isha foundation who recounts Shiva as Adiyogi. I have searched the internet to find a secondary source of the story of Shiva and Seven Sages and cannot find exactly what I'm looking for. Is there somewhere in scripture where this story is conveyed or a folklore tradition that encapsulates the idea of Shiva teaching the Seven Sages?

Thank You!

Re: Shiva and Saptarishi?

Namaste,

The subject of your painting seems to be valid indeed. It appears that the incident you speak of, of Lord Shiva imparting knowledge to the saptarishis -- is an event known to have happened on the auspicious Guru Purnima day. The legend has it that Lord Shiva transformed himself from being Adhi Yogi on this day to Adhi Guru, and imparted knowledge to the awaiting Saptarishis.

http://www.ishafoundation.org/blog/y...he-first-yogi/

http://fullonsms.com/trending/5-thin...-guru-purnima/
    Legend says that the Guru of Gurus, the Adi Guru, was born on this day

The day marks the transmission of yogic sciences from the Adi Guru, or the First Guru, to the Saptarishis.

Regards,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Shiva and Saptarishi?

Thank you Viraja!

Many Blessings!

Thread Information