Thread: I'd like to be a hindu monk

I'd like to be a hindu monk

Namaste!
    How can an European become a hindu monk in India? I mean..I want to be like Sadhguru, what should I do?

Re: I'd like to be a hindu monk

Namaste,

Welcome to the forum.

To become an Einstein, one has to start with the basic knowledge of laws of physics and then work his way up. Similarly, to be a Hindu monk, one would have to go to a temple regularly, associate with other devotees, learn to do puja and meditation in order to raise his level of consciousness and then look for ways to become a monk. One has to go through an inner transformation to achieve all that you want and that starts with your first visit to a Hindu temple. You haven't said anything about your current level of association with and practice of Hinduism; where do you stand now? What is available to you right now in terms of association with other devotees and a qualified teacher/guru?

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Welcome to the forum.

To become an Einstein, one has to start with the basic knowledge of laws of physics and then work his way up. Similarly, to be a Hindu monk, one would have to go to a temple regularly, associate with other devotees, learn to do puja and meditation in order to raise his level of consciousness and then look for ways to become a monk. One has to go through an inner transformation to achieve all that you want and that starts with your first visit to a Hindu temple. You haven't said anything about your current level of association with and practice of Hinduism; where do you stand now? What is available to you right now in terms of association with other devotees and a qualified teacher/guru?

Pranam.
    First, thank you for reply. Unfortunately, in my country, Hinduism isn't a well known religion and I don't know Hindu temple that I can attend to or I can visit.
    About my level in practing Hinduism...very low, because I haven't got informations about this great religion in my language and I didn't found some pdf's online. I would be grateful if someone could give me some e-books for a beginner in Hinduism.

Vannakkam: Welcome to this forum.

As Believer said, it seems to me also that you are a bit premature to want to be a Hindu monk without knowing much about Hinduism. I would recommend free e-books from Himalayan Academy as introductory texts. 'What is Hinduism?' would be a great start.

There are a couple of Hindu monasteries in Europe you could probably go to to have a look, if you can travel at all. As for monks, there are two kinds primarily ... those that live in maths, aadheenams, (monasteries) with brother monks, and those that wander. But I think this is getting ahead of ourselves. First, learn some stuff about Hinduism in general.

Aum Namasivaya

namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Chris190 View Post
    Unfortunately, in my country, Hinduism isn't a well known religion and I don't know Hindu temple that I can attend to or I can visit.
    That really is unfortunate and presents you with quite a challenge.
    Here is a link to 'What is Hinduism'
    http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules....php?op=&cid=2

Next should be a study (not a reading) of the Bhagwad Gita. If you do a search of this forum, you will find links to different translations done by many authors and you could select one for your introductory study. Another useful website is krishna.com. A google search shows ISKCON (Hare Krishna) centers in Bucharest, Lasi and in Timisoara. Best wishes.

Pranam.

Dear Chris,
    the best way is to go to India - travel around, visit ashrams and hope that a guru finds you.

If you have affection to Krishna - in Europe ISKCON hosts serious ashrams with serious teachers in
    Romania
    http://www.radha.name/images-gallery...europe/romania
    Hungary
    http://krisnavolgy.hu/
    Germany
    http://www.goloka-dhama.de/radha-krishna-bhakti-yoga
    http://www.simhachalam.de/index.php?id=88

If you have affection to Shiva here you find a list of Babaji Ashrams.
    http://www.babaji.fr/en/Ashrams.php

These are only examples - I know how difficult it is in Europe with Hinduism, I am willing to assist you if you want, I sent you a pm with my mailid.
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Namaste!
    How can an European become a hindu monk in India? I mean..I want to be like Sadhguru, what should I do?
    Namastey Chris190,

Have you read about Sadhguru. He is great Indian Yogi. His speech, voice and every word pacifies an individual mind. You can't completely become like Sadhguru Because he is completely a different personality.
    To become like him first you will have to believe in God and then in Spirituality as it is very important first to awaken Spiritually and gain self-empowerment. You can start reading Bhagavad Geeta to understand what Hinduism exactly signifies. Then Ramayana and Mahabharata.
    ~Hari Om

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté & hello Chris190

Namaste!
    Let me ask you ... what is your impression of what you think a monk does or does not do that attracts you to this mode of life?

It's like saying I saw this artist's picture and I want to be like that artist. There has been an impression made in you, yet
    what is that impression that moves you to this desire ? What do you think you are not, that will be filled by becoming a monk?

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information