Thread: Mantra Translation

Mantra Translation

Could someone translate this mantra for me?

1. ॐ ड्रं ह्रौं बं जूं बं हूं बं स: बीर वीरभद्राय प्रस्फुर प्रज्वल आवेशय जाग्रय विध्वंसय क्रुद्धगणाय हुं

2. Om ḍraṁ hrauṁ baṁ jūṁ baṁ hūṁ baṁ sa: Bīra vīrabhadrāya prasphura prajvala āvēśaya jāgraya vidhvansaya krud'dhagaṇāya huṁ

3. Om Drum Hroum Bum Joom Bum Hoom Bum Sah Beer Veerbhadraya Prasfur Prajval Aaveshay Jagray Vidhvanshay Krudhganaya Hum

Re: Mantra Translation

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

ॐ ड्रं ह्रौं बं जूं बं हूं बं स: बीर वीरभद्राय प्रस्फुर प्रज्वल आवेशय जाग्रय विध्वंसय क्रुद्धगणाय हुं
    2. Om ḍraṁ hrauṁ baṁ jūṁ baṁ hūṁ baṁ sa: Bīra vīrabhadrāya prasphura prajvala āvēśaya jāgraya vidhvansaya krud'dhagaṇāya huṁ
    3. Om Drum Hroum Bum Joom Bum Hoom Bum Sah Beer Veerbhadraya Prasfur Prajval Aaveshay Jagray Vidhvanshay Krudhganaya Hum
    First let me ask PestThurse to please consider the following with your posts... an introduction or hello is considered an HDF custom ,
    we ask you to join in on this simple way of opening a post.
    Also , please help the reader with your request(s) - that is, where did this mantra come from?
    What do you believe
    it says ( even an inkling , a feeling , is fine)? Please take a few minutes to frame the post so the reader can better participate in it.

That said, here are some of my observations. I will leave its final translation/meaning to you; This may ( and should) require some additional research to get to the
    core offer of this mantra.

First, my translation yields the following transliteration from the actual devanāgarī script offered.
    om̐ ḍraṃ hrauṃ baṃ jūṃ baṃ hūṃ baṃ sa: bīra vīrabhadrāya prasphura prajvala āveśaya jāgraya vidhvaṃsaya kruddhagaṇāya huṃ ||

Note there are no capital letters used in devanāgarī, hence you will not see O or B . I added the stop || at the end of the mantra myself.

A few observations

• If you count the phoneme’s ( sound forms) there are 18… Yet we take the 1st and last sounds that sandwich-in 16 in the middle. Hence om̐ and huṃ are the enclosures.
      It is common to have a 16 (ṣoḍśa) phoneme mantra.The 16 indicates wholeness/fullness.

• Also the human being is considered to be made of 16 parts or kālā-s ( you can find this in the chāndogya upaniṣad 6.7.1 and the lesson śvetaketu-ji is given)
    • The colon after the term ‘sa’ – this colon : = ḥ, an aspirated ‘ha’ like sound that is indicated in devanāgarī script by the symbol :
    • each bīja (seed) sound is complete in itself; the bīja-s listed all have ‘owner’s’ of which I choose not to go into. I suggest the requester find this information i.e. look up each
      sound form and see what he or she finds and reports back the results as they see fit.
    • ​Yet that said, the opening of this mantra begins with the praṇava¹ sound om̐ ; it seems then the closing would be with the śaiva praṇava¹ bīja (seed) hūm̐ and not huṃ.

I find that a few words may have been incorrectly written ( again my opinion & conjecture only)
    • āvēśaya shown in the devanāgarī script is āveśaya ( no long e, of which I have not encountered in saṃskṛt to date); I think this word is aviṣaya
    • bīra – I think this is vīra as b’s and v’s have been interchanged on occasion. Example - bṛhaspati is also considered acceptable as vṛhaspati

Note the similarity of v व् and b ब् in devanāgarī script. Some may see the word as bhīra = ‘intimidating’, yet for me that does not pass my common sense test.

Definitions as I see them

• vīrabhadrāya = vīra + bhadrāya = heroic, brave + blessed, joyfully, graciously
    • prasphura – or prasphur = to glitter , sparkle , flash , shine forth
    • prajvala = prajvālā = flame, light
    • āvēśaya – as previously mentioned, I think the term you offer āvēśaya per the devanāgarī text provided is āveśaya; in which I think the word
      being looked for is aviṣaya meaning ‘anything out of reach; not having an object’
    • jāgraya – awake; wakefulness
    • vidhvaṃsaya = vidhvaṃsana = destroying or removing
    • krodhaja – proceeding from engendered by wrath + ṇā = knowledge, certainty ( and can also be ‘a bad man’)

I care not to define each bīja (seed) sound and leave that to the original author.

With the words translated one should get some feel for where this mantra is being directed, what praise it offers or what qualities it wishes to invoke.

iti śivaṁ

words

• praṇava – is praṇu – to sound, reverberation. In a nutshell is that which renovates thoroughly ( to a high degree); to praise ; to protect
      • śaiva praṇava – this is the sound form of śiva; śakti’s sound form is hrīm̐
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste,

This mantra invokes the most ferocious Gana of Lord Shiva and is used to safeguard against black magic etc. This mantra, as gathered by me, is not for everyone and can do harm if the practitioner is not suitably pure of mind and heart.

I don't know who has advised you this mantra. Please be careful while choosing to practise mantras. There are strict rules for invocation of ferocious forms of God and the practitioner must follow those rules while trying to invoke those gods. I know some people who went mad because of lapses made by them in the rituals while invoking ferocious forms of God.

The first part of the mantra i.e. ड्रं ह्रौं बं जूं बं हूं बं स: are Beej sounds which don't have any particular meaning in sanskrit. These sounds create necessary vibrations in the surrounding for making powerful invocation of the god to whom the mantra is dedicated.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Ok sorry, this posting was a bit dull or mindless.
    I only know the mantra from youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODt5FjnlE0g
    and couldn´t fully translate it on my own. I wasn´t sure about it because my only source was youtube...

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste,

suitably pure of mind and heart.

OM
    And what is pureness for Veerabhadra ?

Thanks so far (to be a nice user )

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Having a mantra in one's possession is like a power tool. It needs to come with instructions & requires an outlet ( 120v or 220v) to plug the power-tool into ( code for
    śakti).
    Having neither is having a chunk of metal that is inert, yet looks very attractive and interesting.

Having a mantra given at the proper time, for the proper use by the proper ācārya¹ is a blessing; this no doubt establishes the
    vīraḥ¹.

iti śivaṁ

words

• ācārya - " knowing or teaching the ācāra or rules " ; a capable guide or teacher
    • vīrabhadrāya = vīra + bhadrāya = heroic, brave + blessed, joyfully, graciously
    Last edited by yajvan; 28 October 2015 at 01:55 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information