Thread: How many of you believe that you can change the course of your life with your mind?

How many of you believe that you can change the course of your life with your mind?

Namaste

Since child hood we are entrusted with a never ending list of do's and don'ts. The reward is brighter and prosperous future.

Teachers and parents advice me to study but I like to eat good food, watch TV, play and sleep. For a kid this is a simple and rewarding equation. If you obey your elders (assuming all elders good and pure) you 'll will be fine.

But as the child grow, gets entangled in to a spider web. In it things aren't as easy as memorizing a nursery rhyme. It is a difficult situation where the outcome is not predictable. For eg. I might have prepared well for the exam but if I sleep in the examination hall or fall sick the outcome won't be pleasant.

In other words the results of do's is always not predictable.

Now please tell me how many of you believe that you can change the course of your life with the power of your mind? And why and how?
    Anirudh...

Re: How many of you believe that you can change the course of your life with your min

Namaste friend,
    My experience is that this reality we live in is not deterministic rather it is probable. The future outcome therefore can be influenced with the right action taken in dharma.

Ps: Notice I say influenced perhaps a better word is nudged.
    satay

Re: How many of you believe that you can change the course of your life with your min

Namaste,

As Satay has said, 'the reality we live in is not deterministic, rather it is probable'. But it is worth a shot to try to change the course of events. As the saying goes, no pain, no gain. If one wants to ascend higher in any aspect of life, the first thing that one has to do is to set ones mind to achieve that goal. Mind is the soil where you plant the seed and then follow it up with bodily effort to water it and nurture the sapling coming out with all your might. A conscious decision - which is mental - to reach a plateau is the starting point of all achievements. Again, it is not a given that all efforts will bear fruit, but that should not discourage anyone from trying.

Pranam.

Namaste Anirudh ji,

My perception of 'karmas' is such that, actions are the precursor to the karma theory, that actions though can, largely do not change the outcome in this life, that actions can the potential to change majority of next life and that actions can change ALL of any further lives... In other words, mind which is the main component predisposing each and every action has the potential to influence the actions and their outcome in the ration mentioned above. Which means that, if someone's goal is 'moksha', he can get it in 3 lives by changing his mind in this life as opposed to 10 lives without doing anything. If the goal is huge success materialistically, also that can be begotten SOONER than it might take by normal means.

I do everyday sadhana with such an understanding, by the way.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste ji,

Yes, as others have said, a probabilistic reality, where we have the higher probability of specific outcomes from the past and where our current actions determine the seeds of situations for future births. Where our own choices and determination affect both the outcomes of this life and those of the future. There is a possibility of lessening or amplifying the outcomes due in this life, good and bad. This depends on focus and perception.

To use your own example, there are two children who have an exam coming up which is very important for their future life. The first enjoys play more than study and often procrastinates homework in order to play more. He sees study as an interruption to his fun and no real fun at all, so avoids it. He perceives that studying all night will give him a greater chance of passing with an excellent score. Perhaps he studies all night, and is even able to focus himself to do so. But then perhaps he isn't able to focus as well, having spent so much focus and energy and become so tired, that when the day of the exam arrives he performs poorly.

The other child also likes play but also finds learning enjoyable. He sees that studying a little extra each night for a month will get him the same desired result, a good score, allowing him to pace his focus and energy. Perhaps he also perceives that sleep is important for good performance in all things, so he make sure to end his studies a little earlier the night before in order to wake fresh the next day and perform at his peak on the exam.

In life, all kinds of things can happen. Work can be harsh, stressful and demanding - how much harder are days like that when you focus only on how hard and how tired, and how much easier when you force a smile and say, "This is Awesome! What a day!" When a goal is so distant, how much harder when you focus only on the vast distance to go than when you just take a little bit more at a time and know you will reach it. When a tragedy strikes, how much harder is it to cope when thinking 'Why this, now?' and how much easier if one tries to find the small bits of good? Even a little bit at times is better than none. Focusing on the good, perceiving good, especially when life is at its most difficult trains the mind to good thoughts. Good thoughts and good outlook make for a quieter being, and a quieter being will act with more thought for situations and for others.

Focus on negativity makes one bitter, stressed, anxious and agitated. One is more likely to act out of emotional instinct and tends to behave in a selfish or reactionary manner. The world can literally start to seem darker. It's not the fruits of Karma that are ours, it's not the situations that happen, it's how we react to them - how we act.

How we perceive everything around us is very important, and our focus on that perception is also important. Psychologically, Spiritually, and even physically. The more you smile at people the more they smile back. The more you frown and bark, the more people withdraw. Even physics states that everything around us is based on our own observations, moment to moment.

So yes. I think mind can change everything. Some on an immediate scale and some on a long scale.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Namaste,

Advaita teachers have taught us that "Mind is the most powerful thing in this world". So, our thoughts and actions thereon affect and change the reality and theoretically, you can do anything if your mind becomes so strong enough. However, Mind stores past impressions which we know as Karma and that is pretty hard to change unless you have been able develop your mind so much as to overcome those Karma. The events in our lives are dependent on our own karmas of the past, the environment where we live in and our present Karma. My study tells me that our past Karmas affect our lives to the extent of 65 % and balance by our present Karma.

Karma = Past impressions stored in mind which are created due to our beliefs / faiths / thoughts / actions

It is very important to have right beliefs (believe that you can accomplish anything), thoughts and we should act accordingly. Conflicts among our belief system, thoughts and actions will give results less than our expectations.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste

Thank you very much for the valuable inputs.
    Anirudh...

I just thought of adding 1 example: everyone has heard of 'Kanakadhaara stotram' - Sri Adi Sankara praises verses to mother Mahalakshmi. It seems that, when Sri Adi Sankara requested mother Mahalakshmi to bless the poor woman who gave him the only last Amla fruit that was left behind in her household, mother Mahalakshmi initially told Sri Sankara that the woman does not have enough merit to be blessed with so much wealth. But then she immediately said, it is not impossible altogether since she can use the merit of the woman giving Sri Sankara the Amla fruit! So nothing in the karma framework is 'fixed', a lot of it can be changed.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Vannakkam: My experience and the teachings I follow concur with many of the above statements. We have free will and can change our lives any time we want to. Maybe not in big ways that involve unreal expectations, but in small ways that will last a lifetime for sure.

Aum namasivaya

Hello, there is a prayer that says "Lord give me the strength to change what I can, the ability to accept what I cannot, and the wisdom to know the difference. Maybe some things are not meant to change, or that our karma is too much to overcome just in this life. I pray for change and acceptance.
    In whatever way people surrender unto me, I reciprocate with them accordingly.

Thread Information