Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Women wear Rudraksha Beads?

Re: Can Women wear Rudraksha Beads?

Namaste Ramji,

Thank you so much for your reply. I hope you had a lovely Karthik Purnima.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post
    Namaste Aanandinii Ji, You stated that you agree that there are no limits in your first post and I objected to this ,then you yourself quoted a list of prohibited substances in your next reply.
    I appreciate your pointing out my apparent self contradiction. I didn't intend it to be a self contradiction, but I can certainly see how it might seem to be. To attempt to explain a little, let me go to something you have stated later in your last post:
    You asked,"When two scriptures are contradicting which one to believe?"Actually,there is no contractions in Dharma Shastras as such.If 2 statements appear contradicting in nature both are not meant for one person/group but they are addressed to different sets of people.
    When I asked this I was being ironic and perhaps a little irreverent. I was gracelessly trying to point out often apparent contradictions. Your explanation of resolving that appearance, through your own family's traditions and experience is lovely, thank you for sharing it. This is one way, yes. It isn't the only one.

Another is to say, as many of the wise have taught (including Sri Gurudev Subramuniyaswami), that Shruti takes precedence as this is divine revelation. Smriti is secondary, it is later Human unpacking of that dense information in the Shruti, through the lenses (or sight/understanding) of realized preceptors of different Paramparas and then Sampradayas. Those are what lead to 'traditions' in lineages which can often be quite different from each other. Let me clarify that when I say there are (and have been) many differing and diverging lineages, this is not a value judgement on any of them. All are valid in their own right, all have truth and all have their own place. All will get their followers to the final result one day. Where all is One, there is room for all.

So, this in mind, the quote from the Veda takes precedent. What each person takes after that depends on their Parampara and Sampradaya teachings, and then after that on their familial traditions - assuming this person is following a different Sampradaya than they were initially raised in. Along this line of thinking, there is no true contradiction in scripture nor did I self contradict.

Why do I state I didn't I self contradict when the Rudraksha Jabala Upanishad seems to put limits on certain foods? Three things. First and perhaps most important is the context of the post you quoted before replying:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    A woman you have read information from, as indicated in earlier posts - Neetaji of Rudrasha Ratna - and presumably who you may have purchased from as well, has studied this deeply and provides quotes from Shatra regarding this. She states that the Vedas and Upanishads state NO limits or rules for wearing Rudraksha, as far as gender, age, eating, time of day, night, bathing, etc. This is also supported by several Satgurus I have read, and in my own experience is supported by the many people I know who wear them.
    I am making a heresay claim here of statements made by others who are more wise and experienced in their own, fairly broad range of traditions from within India. Here is what I said of my own understanding of scripture that I personally had read:
    The only restrictions I have ever heard that remains the same for everyone I have read and spoken to is that you MUST follow good hygiene practices at all times when you wear them - this means good spiritual, mental and emotional hygiene as well as physical hygiene - and that one must respect them as a physical manifestation of Sri Shiva. So if you wouldn't do something in His presence, then take them off first. Care for them and keep them clean as you would Him, or any of the forms of Devi or God they represent.
    I will admittedly backtrack here a little bit and alter this part: "...you MUST follow as good hygiene practices as you have been taught and are able to at all times when you wear them..." On reflection I believe I was a bit strong in my original wording.

Second, and this may be my own misunderstanding due to being stuck reading translations rather than the actual Sanskrit, but to the translations I have read this is not a strict injuction against those foods. This is because the Upanishad earlier states all peoples can wear regardless of caste or creed, then later states the usual prohibited foods 'should be avoided', and says nothing about the beads not having effect if one does eat them, or of the effect becoming negative if one does eat them. Usually if there is a strict injunction against a behavior, it is stated as a flat 'do not do this', followed by a warning of what might happen if the rule is ignored. This is not the case.

Third, the Purans further expand on this notion by openly stating that one should follow hygiene in all areas within their own ability, and specifically calls out food, cleanliness and mantra, but then goes to great lengths to point out that none of that is actually necessary. So, again, no real injunctions. These are simply beneficial and carry their own power, regarless of the knowledge, awareness, purity or even species of the wearer. My own speculation as to why, is that these beads which have been said to be a form of Sri Shiva Himself. Regardless, they are sacred to Him and He knows no duality or distinctions. For instance, nowhere is it said in Scripture not to wear them in Cremation Ground. But where is one of the most commonly said places for Him to be found? Bhasmachayaya, Smasana Vasinee, Smasanabhajaye? I understand that it is your family's tradition to not wear them there, and I am not saying that your family's tradition is wrong - this is what I meant when I said, "Any limits you put on them are valid, but they are also your own - or the limits of your Sampradaya, which they will have their own valid reasons for." All spiritual traditions are valid in their ways, there is not one which is more valid than another that I am aware of. This includes the Sampradaya of the Pandit who told Suhitaji she shouldn't be wearing the bead, leaving unsaid that if it is her Sampradaya too then she should seriously consider listening to him or asking her Guru. But then that wasn't her question - Sujitaji's question was specifically regarding scriptural injunction.
    I quoted those shlokas from Srimad Bhagavad Gita to say that there are some rules for Rudrakshas (apart from maintaining physical,spiritual, mental and emotional hygiene) and it is not correct to say that there are no limits at all.
    Yes, and while I agree that at the core there are guidelines - though not rules, (please feel free to discuss core scripture further) - I will have to agree that yes, your familial tradition appears to have some rules. That doesn't mean you can apply your family's traditions to her or anyone else. This is a 'Hasty Generalization', and is why I presented the experiences of several tradtitional families and at least one Sampradaya from a range of places. In all honesty, this is still likely a hasty generalization, but it is still a broader sampling to generalize from. In the end, after scripture - which was what she was really asking about - any rules would have to be dictated by her traditions, and really that's what one should keep to unless one is making a conscious change for some reason.
    Did I say anywhere in my reply that women are not allowed to wear Rudrakshas?
    Well, not as such no, but:
    ^^Points to topic of Thread
    Then:
    Quote Originally Posted by Suhita View Post
    Specially the food that should be avoided. But is there any restriction that ladies should wear Rudraksha beads related to particular Gods\Goddess?
    A woman you have read information from, as indicated in earlier posts - Neetaji of Rudrasha Ratna - and presumably who you may have purchased from as well, has studied this deeply and provides quotes from Shatra regarding this. She states that the Vedas and Upanishads state NO limits or rules for wearing Rudraksha, as far as gender, age, eating, time of day, night, bathing, etc. This is also supported by several Satgurus I have read, and in my own experience is supported by the many people I know who wear them.
    Sorry,not true. No limits:False...
    So while you go on to say "Gender Restrictions: No" and then make your way down the list, in light of the main topic, flow of posts, and prefaced with a fairly agressive thrust of a scriptural injunction against discarding scripture (nicely done), perhaps I minsunderstood. My apologies if so. It may have been exacerbated by the problems with formatting.
    I clearly said that that Rudrakshas can be worn by persons of all genders and ages. I also said that while it is true that there are no restrictions regarding gender,age.I said that there are certain restrictions about food and time.(Though some scriptures allow wearing them at night,Yajvan Ji's said in his post they could break accidentally if worn when sleeping,so I asked Suhita Ji to consider some important suggestions like these given in his posts.I did not know there was an other post on this.)
    I wouldn't call telling someone to go re-read a series of several posts as 'clearly said'. But that's me, and I'm about as clear as mud most of the time. And anyway, considering you did a lot of pointing to those posts for your position, and I had indirectly responded to some of Yajvanji's admittedly far more learned assertions which I happen to disagree with (probably in ignorance), so again I may have gotten a bit lost as to what exactly you were saying.
    Our tradition which has come to us(i.e. me) from hoary past prohibits wearing Rudrakshas in cremation grounds,during many long periods of impurity due to deaths,births,time,occurrences etc. and stipulates that contact with certain items must be avoided.In this case, I don't consider the Srimad Devi Bhagavata's statements applicable to me.I'm not being addressed here but these statements are meant for someone else or some other family.We have our own rules which we are following since thousands of years and I am bound to follow what has been told to me by my family sampradaya.This is why past traditions/sampradayas are very important,they resolve supposed contradictions in texts.So,whether meat eating Hindus or others can wear Rudrakshas or mustn't wear is based on the Dharma Shastra text followed by their family/sampradaya.
    We have no disagreement here and I think I may have already spoken to this above. However, I do want to reiterate that your own family's rules and your sampradaya's rules are valid only to you and your family and your Samplradaya. Not to Suhitaji's, and that is something I did take issue with as you were appearing to make an even broader generalization that I was. I'd also like to point out that you do not have to stick to your traditions, they do evolve and people change or join Sampradayas. A great benefit of having a Sampradaya and a family tradition is that you have direct guiadance of a Guru and stability of family. But even these things evlove over time. There is also a benefit to not having them, though perhaps not as great.
    I would like to tell you that many things in Hinduism are not as simple as they are projected,there is a lot beneath the surface and there are many complex factors at play inside.
    Yes, it's a truth that nothing is as simple as it often seems. Yet things are only ever as complex as we choose to make them, and that is also a great truth. Tradition and culture are hard. Life and God aren't. Bhakti is all that's needed. This is simply because when one is full of that joy and love, one is drawn to right actions and surrender and to leave behind bad behaviors out of an instinctive joy, not because they are upholding a tradition. One doesn't need tradition to know or learn what that is, though it makes it far easier to have one sometimes.

edit to add: I'm so sorry I forgot a polite closing! I'm quite embarrassed.

~Pranam
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 02 December 2015 at 12:20 PM.
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Namaste Suhitaji,

I have seen Mata Amritanandamayi, the female enlightened sage,famously known as the hugging saint, wearing rudraksha beads around her neck and wrists. You can clearly see this in her images in the net.

Similarly with an another female enlightened master called Anandmurti Gurumaa. I also remember seeing the same in other female spiritual saints and even female householders as well on the spiritual path.

Women not allowed to wear rudraksha perhaps maybe an another superstition that had come throughout the ages like untouchability and casteism, which is not part of true hinduism, as per my educated opinion.

Hope this helps,

Ajay

Namastey Ajayji,

Thanks for sharing the names of these personalities. At least now I can share this with people who are against ladies wearing Rudraksha beads.

~Hari Om

Namaste ji,

Slightly off-topic, but regarding Mata Amritanandamayiji, there is a nice story about her I was told a while ago. Maybe here. Maybe you've heard it...

A woman was at Amritanandamayii's Ashram, practicing her meditation. She was interrupted by a man who asked why she bothered, as it was well known that women couldn't achieve realization and you had to be born as a man in order to achieve that. Even scripture seemed to support this. Perhaps she would be better off focusing on her family and hoping for a male birth next time around.

Mata was nearby, so upset by this the woman went to Mata to ask, and the guy followed. Amma's response was short, "Yes, of course a woman cannot achieve realization." And then she continued on with what she was doing. Satisfied, the man smirked and sauntered off too, leaving the woman feeling very confused and disturbed.

Hours later she was still sitting there, clearly very upset and trying to work it out. Amma saw her and approached, asking what was wrong. The woman explained what had happened and asked, why she had been doing all of this if she could not achieve her goal because she was female?

Mata Amritanandamayi smiled and nodded and told her, of course no woman can achieve realization but neither can any man.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

of course no woman can achieve realization but neither can any man.
    Well said ! Till you are so much identified with the body that you can't think beyond your and others' genders .... there can be no realisation for you ! You are just a sufferer !

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste Aanandinii Ji, You stated that you agree that there are no limits in your first post and I objected to this ,then you yourself quoted a list of prohibited substances in your next reply.I quoted those shlokas from Srimad Bhagavad Gita to say that there are some rules for Rudrakshas (apart from maintaining physical,spiritual, mental and emotional hygiene) and it is not correct to say that there are no limits at all. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ Did I say anywhere in my reply that women are not allowed to wear Rudrakshas?I clearly said that that Rudrakshas can be worn by persons of all genders and ages. I also said that while it is true that there are no restrictions regarding gender,age.I said that there are certain restrictions about food and time.(Though some scriptures allow wearing them at night,Yajvan Ji's said in his post they could break accidentally if worn when sleeping,so I asked Suhita Ji to consider some important suggestions like these given in his posts.I did not know there was an other post on this.) ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ __________ You asked,"When two scriptures are contradicting which one to believe?"Actually,there is no contractions in Dharma Shastras as such.If 2 statements appear contradicting in nature both are not meant for one person/group but they are addressed to different sets of people.I can explain this from my personal experience,for example,Srimad Devi Bhagavata says that Rudrakshas can be worn in different circumstances.Based on this scripture,it seems that one can consume wine and yet wear Rudrakshas but I can reject these statements because it is against my family tradition,which doesn't allow drinking intoxicating substances. Our tradition which has come to us(i.e. me) from hoary past prohibits wearing Rudrakshas in cremation grounds,during many long periods of impurity due to deaths,births,time,occurrences etc. and stipulates that contact with certain items must be avoided.In this case, I don't consider the Srimad Devi Bhagavata's statements applicable to me.I'm not being addressed here but these statements are meant for someone else or some other family.We have our own rules which we are following since thousands of years and I am bound to follow what has been told to me by my family sampradaya.This is why past traditions/sampradayas are very important,they resolve supposed contradictions in texts.So,whether meat eating Hindus or others can wear Rudrakshas or mustn't wear is based on the Dharma Shastra text followed by their family/sampradaya. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______ I agree with many things conveyed in both of your replies and I understand your view.I would like to tell you that many things in Hinduism are not as simple as they are projected,there is a lot beneath the surface and there are many complex factors at play inside.
    Namastey Ram11 ji,

Thanks for sharing your point of views on whether women can wear rudraksha beads or not. It is possible that there might be contradiction on this topic as per Hindu mythologies but I feel that God does not see difference in his devotee and shiva and shakti are one. That's why I am still wearing it.
    Chakra Healing with RRST!!!

Namastey all,

I came to know from Internet that wearing a Rudraksha mala can change thecourse of your life for better. It can remove obstacles in your career,problems in your personal life, and solve issue regarding your family life,love life, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Suhita View Post
    Namastey all,

I came to know from Internet that wearing a Rudraksha mala can change thecourse of your life for better. It can remove obstacles in your career,problems in your personal life, and solve issue regarding your family life,love life, etc.

Namaste Suhita Ji,

Of course they can but Shaivas/Shaktas don't wear Rudrakshas for such reasons,to bhaktas they mean much more.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste Devotee ji

off the topic:

Don't we need this body to achieve realization? To help me realize that I am an Aatma or say consciousness or Truth or permanance or whatever word that describe me, don't I need body?

There's another point I want to bring up. Generally people want us to believe that life means sufferings and we should aspire for moksha or self realization. Shouldn't we use an another word instead of life? Moreover What is suffering and why should we run away or protect ourselves?

I haven't understood enough to tell why we/I have taken birth. But there is a purpose behind my birth as well as every events of my life. And I am very sure about it. If we are born for a specific purpose then how that life can be miserable?

Let's say tires (vehicle) can feel. If that being the case then their life begins and ends with suffering. Isn't it?

I have come to a conclusion that just like happy moments there will be sad moments as well. They are like day and night. Each one has its merits and demerits. We shouldn't be addicted to happiness or scared to face sadness.

Everything else is temporary but for truth. To understand enjoy and to practise Truth we require this body. Then where's is suffering?

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post

Well said ! Till you are so much identified with the body that you can't think beyond your and others' genders .... there can be no realisation for you ! You are just a sufferer !

OM
    Anirudh...

Namaste Aanandinii Ji, You stated that you agree that there are no limits in your first post and I objected to this ,then you yourself quoted a list of prohibited substances in your next reply.I quoted those shlokas from Srimad Bhagavad Gita to say that there are some rules for Rudrakshas (apart from maintaining physical,spiritual, mental and emotional hygiene) and it is not correct to say that there are no limits at all. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ Did I say anywhere in my reply that women are not allowed to wear Rudrakshas?I clearly said that that Rudrakshas can be worn by persons of all genders and ages. I also said that while it is true that there are no restrictions regarding gender,age.I said that there are certain restrictions about food and time.(Though some scriptures allow wearing them at night,Yajvan Ji's said in his post they could break accidentally if worn when sleeping,so I asked Suhita Ji to consider some important suggestions like these given in his posts.I did not know there was an other post on this.) ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ __________ You asked,"When two scriptures are contradicting which one to believe?"Actually,there is no contractions in Dharma Shastras as such.If 2 statements appear contradicting in nature both are not meant for one person/group but they are addressed to different sets of people.I can explain this from my personal experience,for example,Srimad Devi Bhagavata says that Rudrakshas can be worn in different circumstances.Based on this scripture,it seems that one can consume wine and yet wear Rudrakshas but I can reject these statements because it is against my family tradition,which doesn't allow drinking intoxicating substances. Our tradition which has come to us(i.e. me) from hoary past prohibits wearing Rudrakshas in cremation grounds,during many long periods of impurity due to deaths,births,time,occurrences etc. and stipulates that contact with certain items must be avoided.In this case, I don't consider the Srimad Devi Bhagavata's statements applicable to me.I'm not being addressed here but these statements are meant for someone else or some other family.We have our own rules which we are following since thousands of years and I am bound to follow what has been told to me by my family sampradaya.This is why past traditions/sampradayas are very important,they resolve supposed contradictions in texts.So,whether meat eating Hindus or others can wear Rudrakshas or mustn't wear is based on the Dharma Shastra text followed by their family/sampradaya. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______ I agree with many things conveyed in both of your replies and I understand your view.I would like to tell you that many things in Hinduism are not as simple as they are projected,there is a lot beneath the surface and there are many complex factors at play inside.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts Ram11 ji. Meanwhile I just want to share that I got to know several benefits of wearing Rudraksha Beads mala.

Thread Information