Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Women wear Rudraksha Beads?

Can Women wear Rudraksha Beads?

Namastey,

I wear 7 Mukhi Nepal Rudraksha mala. I had a visit last week to a temple in my locality and after performing Aarti, the temple priest told me that I am not supposed to wear Rudraksha as it is a symbol of Lord Shiva. But Shiva and Shakti are always interconnected with each other then why is so that ladies aren't supposed to wear Rudraksha Mala or Bracelet? Is it true?

~Hari Om

Re: Can Women wear Rudraksha Beads?

Vannakkam Suhita; In that priest's sampradaya it must be true then. But it isn't some general rule. In my sampradaya women wear single beads like you.

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

namasté

ॐ रुद्राय नमः
    oṁ rudrāya namaḥ

You may find this HDF string useful:
    http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...%C4%81k%C5%9Ba

It covers the following:
    What types of questions are usually asked about rudrākṣa ? Let me offer a few:

• Can women wear rudrākṣa ?
    • How many types of rudrākṣa are there? e.g. how many 'faces' mukhi-s ( from mukha or faces, mouth )?
    • Is one better then the other?
    • What are the merits of wearing rudrākṣa ?
    • What is the proper garland (mālā ) to wear ? How many seeds ( 108, 27, 54) ?
    • Where is it improper to wear the rudrākṣa mālā e.g. toliet, cremation grounds,etc.
    • What is the proper start for wearing rudrākṣa ? e.g. pūja or purification?
    • Should I wear the mālā to bed?
    • Is there a 'test' to insure a rudrākṣa bead is authentic?
    • What foods should a wearer of rudrākṣa avoid ( as found in the śiva mahāpurāṇa )?
    • Can I make orniments or rings from rudrākṣa ?
    • Can other family members wear the same mālā ?
    • Is it advisable for children to wear rudrākṣa ?
    • What is the best size of the rudrākṣa seed ( some call seed bīja; some write it as vīja )
    • Do you, yajvan wear a mālā ? Yes.
    • Is there a botanical name for rudrākṣa ? Yes, Elaeocarpus ganitrus.
    • Will I feel something when I wear rudrākṣa ?

ॐ महेश्वराय नमः
    om maheśvarāya namaḥ

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namastey Yajvanji,

Very nice information. thankyou for sharing this useful thread. Specially the food that should be avoided. But is there any restriction that ladies should wear Rudraksha beads related to particular Gods\Goddess?

~Hari Om
    Last edited by Suhita; 14 November 2015 at 02:42 AM.

Namaste Suhitaji,
    Quote Originally Posted by Suhita View Post
    Specially the food that should be avoided. But is there any restriction that ladies should wear Rudraksha beads related to particular Gods\Goddess?
    As there seems to be no forthcoming reply yet, I thought I would offer my condensed experience outside of the writing in that thread, which I have also linked you to in the past, and others.

In the end, what you are asking comes down to Sampradaya and personal belief.
    If you belong to a Sampradaya that puts limits on you, and you are bound to that Sampradaya and wish to hold to those limits, then by all means do.
    If you wish to place further limits and restrictions on yourself, then that is also fine.

A woman you have read information from, as indicated in earlier posts - Neetaji of Rudrasha Ratna - and presumably who you may have purchased from as well, has studied this deeply and provides quotes from Shatra regarding this. She states that the Vedas and Upanishads state NO limits or rules for wearing Rudraksha, as far as gender, age, eating, time of day, night, bathing, etc. This is also supported by several Satgurus I have read, and in my own experience is supported by the many people I know who wear them. The only restrictions I have ever heard that remains the same for everyone I have read and spoken to is that you MUST follow good hygiene practices at all times when you wear them - this means good spiritual, mental and emotional hygiene as well as physical hygiene - and that one must respect them as a physical manifestation of Sri Shiva. So if you wouldn't do something in His presence, then take them off first. Care for them and keep them clean as you would Him, or any of the forms of Devi or God they represent.

It's generally a good rule as well to not wear them while bathing or swimming because you really shouldn't get them so wet all the time, it's not good for the bead, which is made from plant material. But this is not a must that was defined anywhere but by people's own practice.

From my own experience as mentioned a few lines ago:

• I wear a 3 to 4 millimeter mala of 108 +1 beads all the time. I was given it as a gift from one of my best friends, who is from Maharashtra. She told me I should never take it off except to bathe, (for the reason given above), or to clean and restring the beads.
    • I have been told the same by the elderly and very traditional mother of another great friend, from what is now Telangana. This kind lady also wears a 108 +1 mala of much larger beads, which was given her by a Pandit in her village when she was young. She has always worn it and intends to pass it to her grand-daughter one day. This same lady also wears an Ek Mukh - 1 face Rudraksha at all times, wrapped in a golden cage with a representation of Sri Shiva held over it. She wears a couple of others too, but I'm not sure of the face numbers, and she has earrings made from smaller Rudrakshas as well.
    • This same lady has gifted a Gowri-Shankar Rudraksha to each of her daughters at their wedding.
    • When asked by her grand-daughter if she could also wear a 1 Face, she stated it's not good for young people, and she would have to wait till she was older and had led a full life.
    • These are all things I have also been told by a Shaivite friend from Gujarat - especially the part about I shouldn't take off the small mala I was given - and another Shaivite friend from Nepal, and a colleague from Tamil Nadu. None of them blinked at the idea of a female wearing them. A couple of them wear their own.
    • At the Temple I go to I often see women wearing Rudraksha singly, grouped in what I assume to be power kanthas, and in malas. Sometimes I see people - women included - using them for Japa. Most of the community I worship with are Gujarati, but not everyone.
    • I also wear a bracelet with a 4 face, representing Sri Brihaspati, and a growing necklace I've been making with 6 face beads as I find them. I've been complemented on it many times, but never been told I shouldn't be wearing it.
    • I've made and gifted to a Temple a large mala of 108 +1 beads of between 22 millimeters to 25 millimeters. No one was shocked or upset that a woman had done this, and the mala was received happily.

Rudraksha are a gift from Lord Shiva and Devi Shakti to Shrushti for the good and benefit of All. Any limits you put on them are valid, but they are also your own - or the limits of your Sampradaya, which they will have their own valid reasons for.
    This is simply my understanding as given me by my teachings and reading thus far and through my experience.

~Pranam

ps - I know I still owe you a reply to a different thread. My apologies in the delay, I am somewhat limited by my available devices in how much I am able to type in the time I have to be online lately. I will reply as soon as I am able to give it proper attention.
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Thankyou So much Anandiniiji. You really explain each and every topic correctly with deep thoughts.

~Hari Om

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    Namaste Suhitaji, In the end, what you are asking comes down to Sampradaya and personal belief. If you belong to a Sampradaya that puts limits on you, and you are bound to that Sampradaya and wish to hold to those limits, then by all means do. If you wish to place further limits and restrictions on yourself, then that is also fine.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ Namaste, ***********Sri Bhagavat Gita Daiva-Asura Sampad Vibhaga Yoga:The Divine and Undivine forces defined *********** यः शास्त्र-विधिम् उत्सृज्य वर्तते काम-कारतः न स सिद्धिम् अवाप्नोति न सुखम्́ न पराम्́ गतिम् ***********yaḥ śāstra-vidhim utsṛjya vartate kāma-kārataḥ na sa siddhim avāpnoti na sukhaḿ na parāḿ gatim ***********He who discards scriptural injunctions and acts according to his own whims attains neither perfection, nor happiness, nor the supreme goal. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______ ***********तस्माच् छास्त्रम्́ प्रमाणम्́ ते कार्याकार्य-व्यवस्थितौ ज्ञात्वा शास्त्र-विधानोक्तम्́ कर्म कर्तुम् इहार्हसि *********** tasmāc chāstraḿ pramāṇaḿ te kāryākārya-vyavasthitau jñātvā śāstra-vidhānoktaḿ karma kartum ihārhasi ***********One should therefore understand what is duty and what is not duty by the regulations of the scriptures. Knowing such rules and regulations, one should act so that he may gradually be elevated. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _
    A woman you have read information from, as indicated in earlier posts - Neetaji of Rudrasha Ratna - and presumably who you may have purchased from as well, has studied this deeply and provides quotes from Shatra regarding this. She states that the Vedas and Upanishads state NO limits or rules for wearing Rudraksha, as far as gender, age, eating, time of day, night, bathing, etc. This is also supported by several Satgurus I have read, and in my own experience is supported by the many people I know who wear them.
    Sorry,not true. No limits:False------ Gender Restrictions:No Restrictions -----Age:No Restrictions(Please read Yajvan Ji's post about his personal advice on age) ---Eating:Few substances are said to be avoided like intoxicants,alcohol etc.(Please read Yajvan Ji's post) --- Time of day: (Please read Yajvan Ji's post) ---NightPlease read Yajvan Ji's post) Bathing:Aandandinii Ji's opinion is very useful
    (It's generally a good rule as well to not wear them while bathing or swimming because you really shouldn't get them so wet all the time, it's not good for the bead, which is made from plant material. But this is not a must that was defined anywhere but by people's own practice.)
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ____
    The only restrictions I have ever heard that remains the same for everyone I have read and spoken to is that you MUST follow good hygiene practices at all times when you wear them - this means good spiritual, mental and emotional hygiene as well as physical hygiene - and that one must respect them as a physical manifestation of Sri Shiva. So if you wouldn't do something in His presence, then take them off first. Care for them and keep them clean as you would Him, or any of the forms of Devi or God they represent.Rudraksha are a gift from Lord Shiva and Devi Shakti to Shrushti for the good and benefit of All.
    Agree 100%. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ __
    Any limits you put on them are valid, but they are also your own - or the limits of your Sampradaya, which they will have their own valid reasons for. This is simply my understanding as given me by my teachings and reading thus far and through my experience.
    I will just say that Shaiva Sampradayas are not there to put restrictions or limitations on people,they just want to guide people and share the observances of past sages so that future generations will get maximum benefit.Everyone knows that if a person puts hand on a hot pan it will burn,so small kids are told to stay away from stove.Sometimes,whether a person knowingly or unknowingly touches Agni,it will simply burn irrespective of whether the person is a older person or kid,rich or poor,male or female etc..Sampradayas help us through their advice so that we don't need to personally get burnt ourselves to understand nature of things. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _ I request the Suhita Ji to please go through Yajvan Ji's informative posts supported by references from Shaiva scriptures,I hope you will gain a lot by reading them. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ __ P.S.Sorry for the formatting,there is some problem with my browser.
    Last edited by Ram11; 21 November 2015 at 08:30 PM.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste ji and Ramji,

Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post
    Sri Bhagavat Gita Daiva-Asura Sampad Vibhaga Yoga:The Divine and Undivine forces defined
    यः शास्त्र-विधिम् उत्सृज्य वर्तते काम-कारतः न स सिद्धिम् अवाप्नोति न सुखम्́ न पराम्́ गतिम्
    तस्माच् छास्त्रम्́ प्रमाणम्́ ते कार्याकार्य-व्यवस्थितौ ज्ञात्वा शास्त्र-विधानोक्तम्́ कर्म कर्तुम् इहार्हसि

yaḥ śāstra-vidhim utsṛjya vartate kāma-kārataḥ na sa siddhim avāpnoti na sukhaḿ na parāḿ gatim
    tasmāc chāstraḿ pramāṇaḿ te kāryākārya-vyavasthitau jñātvā śāstra-vidhānoktaḿ karma kartum ihārhasi

"He who discards scriptural injunctions and acts according to his own whims attains neither perfection, nor happiness, nor the supreme goal.
    One should therefore understand what is duty and what is not duty by the regulations of the scriptures. Knowing such rules and regulations, one should act so that he may gradually be elevated."
    Please quote the scriptural injunctions being discarded?

Here are the scriptures that Rudraksha are mentioned in. Yajvanji does touch on them, but here are direct quotes and links to online texts for perusal.
    I know I've left one out, my apologies.
    * Rudraksha Jabala Upanishad - part of the Sama Veda in which Sri Sanatkumara questions Sri Kalagni Rudra about Rudraksha
    This specific Scripture states:
    17. "One should wear always the Rudraksha whether he sleeps or eats.
    Scripture also mentions the varna colors for each varna of humans.

The only limits given are food consumption:
    "He should avoid the prohibited food, namely, liquor, flesh, onion, white onion Suguru, Sleshmataka, and the village boar."

* The Vidyesvara Samhita of the Siva Purana
    This scripture states:
    "Brahmins in all Ashrams (there are 4 in all), all the castes, male and female and Shudras can wear Rudraksha as ordered by Shiva."
    "Wearing a Rudraksha during the day destroys all evils done during the darkness of night. Wearing a Rudraksha during night destroys all evils of the morning, afternoon and evening."
    "Tripundadhari (three horizontal lines made by the ashes in the forehead by the followers of Shiva), an ascetic, and a person wearing a Rudraksha never go to hell." (unless apparently they eat onions?)
    "A person who does not have Rudraksha in his organs, does not have a "Tripunda" on his forehead and does not recite the "Panchakshara Mantra" from his mouth should be taken to hell."
    "Therefore, Hey Mahadevi ! Rudraksha destroys all evils. Even if an evil person wears a Rudraksha he is purified. He becomes equal to Shiva and becomes dear to be."
    "Those who wear Rudraksha without meditation and knowledge are also freed from all evils and attain 'Moksha'."
    "Rudraksha is beloved by the 5 Gods (Shiva, Parvati, Ganesh, Sun and Vishnu). It is also dear to all the other Lords. Hey beloved ! All mantra japs are possible on a Rudraksha Rosary. This has been ordered for the devotees."
    "One who wear Rudraksha and uses Bhasma becomes very dear to lord Shiva. There is no doubt that the effect of just wearing them fulfills all desires and provides salvation."

It describes combinations and situations of wearing that are beneficial. Many of these either conflict with the descriptions given in other scriptures or are not mentioned in those scriptures at all. So, which to believe?

In limits, the only thing that is consistent with other scripture is foods to avoid.
    It does mention castes should wear 'their colors', but again this is only mentioned one other place, and there are few to no limits on caste, and none given on creed or gender given anywhere else, only that all should wear them and all will recieve benefit.
    There are no other limits given.

* Padme Purana
    States:
    "The mala should be knotted by the wearer himself properly. It should not be made by shudra. And the mala should have a meru bead."
    "Even an animal dog can achieve rudratva ( Shivahood ) if it dies wearing Rudraksha around neck,then what is there to ask about human beings."
    "Wearing all mukhi Rudraksha makes a person like myself and therfore O son! (Kartikeya) one should make all efforts to wear Rudraksha."

Limits:
    A Rudraksha bead bears features of a Linga and yoni on it's surface. One should not wear a rudraksha on which above mentioned features are absent. (But that would exclude an enormous amount of them, particularly anything over 6 faces, as once you get to 7 there is no room for most symbols to appear in the thorns)
    Similarly two joint beads should never be worn. (But this describes several combinations that other scriptures say are great, such as Gowri Shankar...)

* Srimad Devi Bhagavatam
    States:
    This scripture gives full bathing and clearing ritual that Holy Men should do before wearing Rudraksha, as narrated by Deva Rishi Narada. Without doing this, it is said here that the seeds do not have as great a benefit. However, this is for Holy Men and it is stated later that they have great benefit for all beings even without this ritual.

"The Brahmanas, Ksattriyas and Vais'yas should hold them after purifying them with Mantras, i.e. knowingly, whereas the S'udras can take them without any such purification by the Matras, i.e. unknowingly."
    "By this, (wearing Rudraksha), all sins arising from seeing hearing, remembering, smelling, eating prohibited things, talking incoherently, doing prohibited things, etc, are entirely removed with the Rudraksha beads on the body; whatever acts eating, drinking, smelling, etc, are done are, as it were, done by Rudra Deva Himself."
    "He who feels shame in holding or putting on the Rudraksha Beads can never be freed from this Samsara even after the Koti births. He who blames another person holding Rudraksha beads has defects in his birth. There is no doubt in this."
    "Whoever holds with or without faith and devotion the Rudraksha beads, with or without any mantra, is freed of all sins and entitled to the Tattvajnana."
    "If Rudraksha be placed on the head then the flesh-eaters, drunkards, and those associated with the vicious become freed of their sins"
    "Be he a Brahman or a Chandala, be he with Qualities or without Qualities, if he applies ashes to his body and if he holds a Rudraksha he surely attains Shivahood. Be he pure or impure; whether he eats uneatables or be he a Mlechha or a Chandala or a Great Sinner, any body if he holds a Rudraksha is surely equal to Rudra. There is no doubt in this."
    "As in the country of Kikata, an ass which used to carry Rudraksha seed got Sivahood after his death, so any man, whether he be a Jnani or Ajnani gets Sivahood if he holds a Rudraksha. There is no dount in this."

Limits:
    To be honest, I have seen none given here except for the restrictions given on food and ritual when one knows and/or is qualified to fulfill them.
    However the Scripture is quite clear that above and beyond all of these things is the simple act of wearing and holding the beads - particularly if one has faith, though this is not necessary; and that the beads will themselves grant the holder/wearer grace and forgiveness of such sins. The Scripture puts no limit on this clearing of sins - such as it being a one-time-only thing. In fact, it states that when one is wearing the beads, whatever one does is really being done by Bhagavan Rudra Himself and not the wearer - considering we are told throughout scripture and particularly in the Bhagavad Gita that we must lose our attachment and cease being the doer, letting God do through us instead, this is a very handy tool in helping to acheive that.

There are no limits given about women, time of month etc. Please, if I have missed something, correct me.
    In fact, excepting for the Vidyesvara Samhita which states only that Women are allowed to wear them, there is no place within any of the texts quoted above where gender limitations to wear them are placed at all. Considering Sri Shiva and Ma Shakti are one, Sri Ardhanarishwara, and are never separate, and Sri Shiva is known to never discriminate, many seem to take this and Shiva Puran to be a silent okay for women to wear - again, keeping hygiene in mind.

Given, I have not quoted here at least one other Scripture that is known to speak specifically about Rudraksha. But what is clear is that there are very few actual restrictions within Scripture, particularly ones which all Scriptures agree on, when it comes to wearing the beads. Even forgetting or violating those restrictions can be forgiven in the act of wearing of the beads, which again is clearly covered in the Scriptures.

These restrictions boil down to what I mentioned above, which you agree with, and which I wrote meaning much the same things Yajvanji said: Hygiene. Mental, Spiritual, Emotional and Physical. The foods we eat and drink effect us on all levels, so they contribute to our physical, mental, and emotional hygiene and therefore also to the spiritual. The things we say do as well. The actions we perform as well. Do you see where I am going with this? Hygiene is not just taking a bath/shower and washing your hands and mouth. It is caring for all aspects of the material and subtle bodies. The more you know, the more you really ought to do, in order to maintain hygiene and progress yourself - good hygiene in all areas - also called "purity" - is what will allow one to progress faster in all ways.

In fact, the Scriptures do seem to support this as they state that those who are Pandits, Brahmans, Sanyasins and Monks - those who knowperhaps better than most - should do all the cleanliness rituals and mantras and prayers before donning the Rudraksha in the morning. But if one can do none of these, they will still reap the benefits. Much like Sri Bhagavan Himself, the Rudrakshas themselves are not limited at all. We are the ones who are limited when we see limits. The more we know about what is the right way to do the more we should do that, but for our own benefit and because we know better, not because the Rudraksha won't or can't work without it. They are said to have given Moksha to a donkey and to a dog, after all. The Lord does not discriminate - we do.

Here is some further reading if interested:
    http://reikitirth.org/legend-and-sig...e-of-rudraksha
    http://www.rudraksha-world.com/rudra...rudraksha.html
    http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com/impor...ksha_258.html5

I request the Suhita Ji to please go through Yajvan Ji's informative posts supported by references from Shaiva scriptures,I hope you will gain a lot by reading them.
    If you have read the thread, then you know Yajvanji has indeed directed Suhitaji to the exact thread, as have I in the past, in a different thread, and she has acknowledged that she has read it and found it very helpful.

Sorry,not true. No limits:False
    Gender Restrictions:No Restrictions
    Age:No Restrictions(Please read Yajvan Ji's post about his personal advice on age)
    Eating:Few substances are said to be avoided like intoxicants,alcohol etc.(Please read Yajvan Ji's post)
    Time of day: (Please read Yajvan Ji's post) ---NightPlease read Yajvan Ji's post)
    Like I said, see above. There is nothing at all mentioned about gender in any of the scriptures I have read, linked and quoted, except for in the Vidyesvara Samhita where Women are called out specifically as among people allowed to wear them. I have read other translations as well, not all online and not all available to me to link. Please tell me where you see a gender restriction in any of them.
    However, I request you my assertion that the authority is the restrictions and truths that are repeated in all or most sources, so in more than one source would be best for quotes please.

Age - only one Scripture gives an age restriction and it has been variously translated. Some say oldest age to start wearing is 8 and some say 14. All other age restrictions I have read have been Sampradaya specific - and as I said, those linneages have their reasons and their reasons are all equally valid to each other. They only affect an individual if that individual chooses to follow that Linneage and their teachings and traditions.

Food - see above. If it were really such a big deal then any meat eating Hindu couldn't wear them, much less 'mlechhas' as stated in the scriptures. This is about good hygiene and knowing better, it's what you should be doing anyway out of respect for your body and life around you, not what you "must do or else".

Time of Day - The only mentions I ever found were those two quotes, one from the Sama Veda, (which to me, being a Veda, takes precedence), and the other from the Shiva Puran, which state that they should be worn day and night and that wearing at night absolves sins done in day. So...
    Bathing:Aandandinii Ji's opinion is very useful Agree 100%.
    Thank you, but you take me too literally. Bathing is just a single and very basic, outward part of hygiene. There is a whole lot more to it, and that covers much of the rest that isn't hygiene, like food.
    I will just say that Shaiva Sampradayas are not there to put restrictions or limitations on people,they just want to guide people and share the observances of past sages so that future generations will get maximum benefit.Everyone knows that if a person puts hand on a hot pan it will burn,so small kids are told to stay away from stove.Sometimes,whether a person knowingly or unknowingly touches Agni,it will simply burn irrespective of whether the person is a older person or kid,rich or poor,male or female etc..Sampradayas help us through their advice so that we don't need to personally get burnt ourselves to understand nature of things.
    Most linneages have their own flavors of restrictions and rituals that other linneages do not have. This is a Human thing. These rules and regulations are to help guide people along a given path. Each Sampradaya walks the path a little differently - or it could be said that their paths are parallel but not exactly the same path. If this were not the case there wouldn't be different Sampradayas/Linneages. Their rules, restrictions and rituals are sometimes the same and often different. However, my point is that God is One and doesn't really care what tradition you follow as long as you listen to His teachings and make an effort to try and hold to them. You will get there yourself eventually even without a Linneage, it will just take a lot longer and you'll get burnt more often than you might otherwise.

~Pranam
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 23 November 2015 at 08:41 PM.
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Excellent comprehensive information, Anandini ji !

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    The Vedas and Upanishads state NO limits or rules for wearing Rudraksha, as far as gender, age, eating, time of day, night, bathing, etc. This is also supported by several Satgurus I have read, and in my own experience is supported by the many people I know who wear them.
    Namaste Aanandinii Ji, You stated that you agree that there are no limits in your first post and I objected to this ,then you yourself quoted a list of prohibited substances in your next reply.I quoted those shlokas from Srimad Bhagavad Gita to say that there are some rules for Rudrakshas (apart from maintaining physical,spiritual, mental and emotional hygiene) and it is not correct to say that there are no limits at all. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____ Did I say anywhere in my reply that women are not allowed to wear Rudrakshas?I clearly said that that Rudrakshas can be worn by persons of all genders and ages. I also said that while it is true that there are no restrictions regarding gender,age.I said that there are certain restrictions about food and time.(Though some scriptures allow wearing them at night,Yajvan Ji's said in his post they could break accidentally if worn when sleeping,so I asked Suhita Ji to consider some important suggestions like these given in his posts.I did not know there was an other post on this.) ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ __________ You asked,"When two scriptures are contradicting which one to believe?"Actually,there is no contractions in Dharma Shastras as such.If 2 statements appear contradicting in nature both are not meant for one person/group but they are addressed to different sets of people.I can explain this from my personal experience,for example,Srimad Devi Bhagavata says that Rudrakshas can be worn in different circumstances.Based on this scripture,it seems that one can consume wine and yet wear Rudrakshas but I can reject these statements because it is against my family tradition,which doesn't allow drinking intoxicating substances. Our tradition which has come to us(i.e. me) from hoary past prohibits wearing Rudrakshas in cremation grounds,during many long periods of impurity due to deaths,births,time,occurrences etc. and stipulates that contact with certain items must be avoided.In this case, I don't consider the Srimad Devi Bhagavata's statements applicable to me.I'm not being addressed here but these statements are meant for someone else or some other family.We have our own rules which we are following since thousands of years and I am bound to follow what has been told to me by my family sampradaya.This is why past traditions/sampradayas are very important,they resolve supposed contradictions in texts.So,whether meat eating Hindus or others can wear Rudrakshas or mustn't wear is based on the Dharma Shastra text followed by their family/sampradaya. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______ I agree with many things conveyed in both of your replies and I understand your view.I would like to tell you that many things in Hinduism are not as simple as they are projected,there is a lot beneath the surface and there are many complex factors at play inside.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Thread Information