Thread: What rescources could you suggest for a newcomer like me?What about sadhana?

What rescources could you suggest for a newcomer like me?What about sadhana?

What is your daily practice/sadhana? I am interested in learning more.

Re: What rescources could you suggest for a newcomer like me?What about sadhana?

Vannakkam: Welcome to these forums. For me, it would be helpful to know your interests in practice, before I say anything. Do you meditate, go to temple, etc.?

Aum Namasivaya

Re: What rescources could you suggest for a newcomer like me?What about sadhana?

Quote Originally Posted by palmcorpoise View Post
    What is your daily practice/sadhana? I am interested in learning more.
    Namastey palmcorprise,

What Kind of Sadhana are you interested in? Chakra Sadhana, Meditation or Yoga?

~Hari Om

Vannakkam: Sadhana generally simply refers to any religious practice, usually done alone. It can be japa, puja, scriptural reading, hatha yoga, etc. A lot of newcomers bite off more than they can chew. (For anyone unfamiliar with the idiom, it means that because of enthusiasm, they decide to commit more that they're ready for, then fail, and feel upset at that. So an example would be somebody saying they're going to meditate every day for half an hour. A more realistic goal might be 10 minutes 5 days out of 7 ... at first. It's wise top start slow, and then build the practice up over time, and slowly.

For many accustomed to the hectic pace we're on, just sitting perfectly still for 5 minutes would be a challenge. I know it was for me when I started.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    A lot of newcomers bite off more than they can chew, it means that because of enthusiasm, they decide to commit more that they're ready for, then fail, and feel upset at that.
    Well said.

Listening to the following chants/aarti might be a good start.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq-CKdT6IG4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SarlTxrAbIY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XOZo7IOUgU

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Sadhana generally simply refers to any religious practice, usually done alone. It can be japa, puja, scriptural reading, hatha yoga, etc. A lot of newcomers bite off more than they can chew. (For anyone unfamiliar with the idiom, it means that because of enthusiasm, they decide to commit more that they're ready for, then fail, and feel upset at that. So an example would be somebody saying they're going to meditate every day for half an hour. A more realistic goal might be 10 minutes 5 days out of 7 ... at first. It's wise top start slow, and then build the practice up over time, and slowly.

For many accustomed to the hectic pace we're on, just sitting perfectly still for 5 minutes would be a challenge. I know it was for me when I started.

Aum Namasivaya

Well,I'm interested in sadhana featuring japam. Shaiva/Shakta sadhana basically. What should I,an uninitiated person do? Because there are a ton of mantras that require initiation to chant,mind you.

I was a former Gaudiya Vaishnava aspirant,but I find Shaiva/Shakta paths more attractive now.

Well,I'm interested in sadhana featuring japam. Shaiva/Shakta sadhana basically. What should I,an uninitiated person do? Because there are a ton of mantras that require initiation to chant,mind you.

I was a former Gaudiya Vaishnava aspirant,but I find Shaiva/Shakta paths more attractive now.
    Vannakkam: There is generally no harm done in chanting certain simple mantras. Some people would say there is no harm done in any mantras, and initiation isn't all that it's made out to be. I don't think a person should feel helpless because of being uninitiated. There are lots of things you can do, like simple pujas, meditation, and japa with 'aum' as the mantra. The basic idea would be to get going, do something.

Aum Namasivaya

Namastey palmcorpoise,

You said that you are interested in Japam or Sadhana related t Shaiva.
    Please go through these thread. I hope that at least you will realize what resources are needed for Shaiva Bhakta if you are opting for Japam or Sadhana.

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...with-Rudraksha
    http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...highlight=japa

~Hari Om

Thread Information