Thread: Upanishads

Upanishads

I’m not really sure what I’m looking for but I thought I’dask anyway. I started reading an old translation of the Upanishads from Gutenberg.It’s an amazing little book. I guess I’m looking for a more modern translationwith commentary and word helps, maybe a concordance in the back. Could someonerecommend an edition or series? Thanks

Re: Upanishads

hari o
    ~~~~~

namasté

I would suggest any/all upaniṣad-s that are translated by svāmī muni nārāyaṇa prāsad.

How many
    upaniṣad-s are there? Is there a core list? Is there a brief description of what each of these upaniṣad-s may cover ?
    This post will assist:
    http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?4617-10-upani%E1%B9%A3ad-s-worth-studying

Also, Oxem - if you would be so kind as to begin your posts with a greeting, a hello, some salutation, it is appreciated. It has been our custom now for some 9-10
    years and we ask you join in on this approach.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Types of Upanishads

Isha Upanishad
    Kena Upanishad
    Katha Upanishad
    Prashna Upanishad
    Mundaka Upanishad

Quote Originally Posted by Oxem View Post
    I’m not really sure what I’m looking for but I thought I’dask anyway. I started reading an old translation of the Upanishads from Gutenberg.It’s an amazing little book. I guess I’m looking for a more modern translationwith commentary and word helps, maybe a concordance in the back. Could someonerecommend an edition or series? Thanks
    Namaste
    I know this is old but the best would be to clear out any sAmpradAyic bias and look for a translation set.

1. Swami GambhirAnanda's commentary on Adi ShankarAchArya's commentary on the 8 or 10 major Upanishads is very popular.
    The focus is advaita vedAnta of course, since the commentators are from that parampara. However, what I would do is focus on the translations of the actual verses without reading any introduction, purport or commentary on the shlokas (verses), because it is bound to be of a specific line of thought.

To be clear and open minded to seek the truth, we need no fillers to nudge the pondering mind. The shloka itself can be clear at first. As a next step one can explore the commentaries.

Done this way, I recommend Gambhirananda's upanishad set to anyone. Available in English.
    Isha, Kena, MunDak, MAnDukya, Shvetashvatara, BRuhadAraNyaka, KaTha, ChhAndogya are in the set, and all worth studying.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Thread Information