Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Languages and Jyotish

Re: Languages and Jyotish

Ego, in colloquial usage seems to have become a negative term. :-)
    When most folks use 'ego' they are generally referring to egotism (overblown pride, a falsely magnified sense of oneself!). OTOH, in psychology the science of mind and mental processes, ego refers to a proper sense of self. Insight as some call it. Disruption of ego is often reflected-expressed as psychosis. Weakness of ego can be seen in neurosis, complexes, portrayal of lack of self-confidence or over-inflated sense of self (megalomania).

A birth-epoch is a seemingly-random TRANSIT-epoch that gains a personal-meaningfulness and becomes a beacon in the current lifetime of the incarnated soul-fragment; the union of a kona (angle) with a trikona (trine)...?

A good, clarificatory response RR ji, Krishna ji! And thank you for your insights, Laalu!

Yajvan ji,

So if Rahu denotes fowl and abusive language, usage of profanities, etc, since this Rahu is connected to ahamkara, can we then say if we engage in fowl language, our ahamkara will increase?

Thanks.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Hello, I have a slightly weird way of thinking about this, but Hopefully you won't kick me out. I will stop my excessive posting from now, promise

Ahamkara roughly translates to I the doer. smoky, illusory Rahu likes us to believe we are the doers and that actions originate within us and so on. it creates a sense of pride or ownership or an attachment to what we perceive as only ours. when you feel different from another, you can indeed be prone to mean speech or profanity (not that it doesn't happen otherwise) but you feel different from the recipient of your words, you feel the recipient is foreign relative to you.

The Sun as the natural karaka for Atma is the brilliance of the truth that there is no other, there is no doer, nothing. The light of the param Atma shines in all of us and permeates this flesh body, so where is the difference between you and me. our ahamkara can increase with speech, and excessive identification with it, but it can increase with many other significations as well. so perhaps the best way to get rid of it may be with the help of this knowledge of who we are.

This is just a hypothesis, and i am obviously a beginner but wanted to take a jab at trying to understand this beautiful vidya.

Sorry for posting too much in the last week, I was on holiday? I go back to work now, and the random questions will stop

best regards
    L

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    A good, clarificatory response RR ji, Krishna ji! And thank you for your insights, Laalu!

Yajvan ji,

So if Rahu denotes fowl and abusive language, usage of profanities, etc, since this Rahu is connected to ahamkara, can we then say if we engage in fowl language, our ahamkara will increase?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Laalu View Post
    Hello, I have a slightly weird way of thinking about this, but Hopefully you won't kick me out. I will stop my excessive posting from now, promise

Ahamkara roughly translates to I the doer. smoky, illusory Rahu likes us to believe we are the doers and that actions originate within us and so on. it creates a sense of pride or ownership or an attachment to what we perceive as only ours. when you feel different from another, you can indeed be prone to mean speech or profanity (not that it doesn't happen otherwise) but you feel different from the recipient of your words, you feel the recipient is foreign relative to you.

The Sun as the natural karaka for Atma is the brilliance of the truth that there is no other, there is no doer, nothing. The light of the param Atma shines in all of us and permeates this flesh body, so where is the difference between you and me. our ahamkara can increase with speech, and excessive identification with it, but it can increase with many other significations as well. so perhaps the best way to get rid of it may be with the help of this knowledge of who we are.

This is just a hypothesis, and i am obviously a beginner but wanted to take a jab at trying to understand this beautiful vidya.

Sorry for posting too much in the last week, I was on holiday? I go back to work now, and the random questions will stop

best regards
    L
    As a fellow-member & participant I do not find your questions excessive or irrelevant etc. Which is not to imply that others (peers and supervisory, admin. etc) might not think so!

Until unless we mortals truly attain the superlative powers of telepathy speech (read, spoken and written plus para and metaverbal communication) shall remain the way to communicate thoughts, to share, learn and discuss,etc.

Interesting hypothesis propounded by you! ;-)

Enjoy your work but even if you forget HDF, do maintain your love for astrology!

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

A birth-epoch is a seemingly-random TRANSIT-epoch that gains a personal-meaningfulness and becomes a beacon in the current lifetime of the incarnated soul-fragment; the union of a kona (angle) with a trikona (trine)...?

Laalu,

You can post as many and as often as you want, no objections from my end. It was all good.

I agree with your hypothesis that knowing who we are will minimize the duality in ourselves and will lead to decreased egotism (I think this is what you are conveying, if I am wrong, then sorry). Where I am aiming at, is that we should all practice restraint in many of our actions, including speech to try reduce our ego(tism). For example, a prominent jyotishi once said in his list that astrology and its practice will increase one's pride and egotism because they strengthen one's agni tattwa (or something like this). That is why I am asking this question. Maybe it sounds silly for some, but to me, it is a genuine quest to know. And seems like the answer is 'yes' - as we place ourselves in a higher, better-than-thou position when we verbally abuse others, definitely it will increase our ego.

Regards,

Viraja

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Yajvan ji,

Thanks.
    Here is the thing about ahaṃkāra, it is an equal opportunity employer. Ego can grow and expand with sweet words, praising words...
    Ego can grow with condescending words.

As long as this
    ahaṃkāra is nourished it will expand. It is inward facing ( internal dialog), and external facing ( others talking to you, along with the environment be presented to you)

iti śivaṁ

यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Here is the thing about ahaṃkāra, it is an equal opportunity employer. Ego can grow and expand with sweet words, praising words...
    Ego can grow with condescending words.

As long as this
    ahaṃkāra is nourished it will expand. It is inward facing ( internal dialog), and external facing ( others talking to you, along with the environment be presented to you)

iti śivaṁ

Excellent thought! Never occured to me this way... I will ponder over what you have stated, Yajvan ji. Many thanks.

Hello,

Thank you for all the encouragement. I was actually thinking out loud earlier, but then this is a long journey to understand aham and ahamkaara I am never allowed to study Jyotisha at home, either by family or visiting astrologers. One scolded me and said I did no Navagraha Puja, or daily religious rituals, and I wasnt to touch it. I understand Prashna Marga also does stipulate te qualities of an astrologer and what the daily ritual must encompass. It started out as mere "phalita" curiosity for me but now when I see the more expansive beauty of patterns in the planets and energies..I don't know how it is possible to not be hooked on to it! So this kind of forum was like a brief heaven for me, while on vacation. But now more worldly duties and responsibilities do await, and promises made earlier to dear ones must be fulfilled. I have learnt so so much from just reading all your posts, older and new. It is wonderful of you all to share your knowledge with us. I will be back sporadically hehhe!

Pranaams
    L

Hello,

Thank you for all the encouragement. I was actually thinking out loud earlier, but then this is a long journey to understand aham and ahamkaara I am never allowed to study Jyotisha at home, either by family or visiting astrologers. One scolded me and said I did no Navagraha Puja, or daily religious rituals, and I wasnt to touch it. I understand Prashna Marga also does stipulate te qualities of an astrologer and what the daily ritual must encompass. It started out as mere "phalita" curiosity for me but now when I see the more expansive beauty of patterns in the planets and energies..I don't know how it is possible to not be hooked on to it! So this kind of forum was like a brief heaven for me, while on vacation. But now more worldly duties and responsibilities do await, and promises made earlier to dear ones must be fulfilled. I have learnt so so much from just reading all your posts, older and new. It is wonderful of you all to share your knowledge with us. I will be back sporadically hehhe!

Pranaams
    L
    Wow! You must be very young! In which case perhaps you must listen to your family and elders. In my personal experience, if God wishes for someone to learn astrology, then that happens without trying too hard or fighting with relatives etc. In that way, it is different from other subjects and domains where struggles have to be made!

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté
    Hello,
    Pranaams L
    You may find this HDF post worth a look: What makes an excellent jyotisha ? http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...ht=vedanga%27s

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information