Thread: Durga worship in Rahu kaal

Question Durga worship in Rahu kaal

Pranaams

I have seen while travelling in the South that Durga us worshipped during Rahu kaal on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Can anyone tell me why? Also the divas used are upturned lemons. curious to know the reason behind practise on these days.

Re: Durga worship in Rahu kaal

Hari Om,

Good Question!

As you know 7 days of the week are assigned based on 7 grahas. Rahu & Ketu are shadowy planets so they were assigned specific duration's on a given day.

Rahu Kalam - 1.5 hours of duration per day. This varies with each day is allocated for Rahu.
    Yama Gantam - 1.5 hours of duration per day. This varies with each day is allocated for Ketu.

Initiating new auspiuos activities are avoided during these times. Generally Piru Karma's are done during this time.

Gulika Kalam - 1.5 hours of duration per day. This time is good for auspicious activities. Usually anything done in this time will develop further.

So inauspicious activities like Pitru Karma's should be avoided during this time.

Gulikan - Is the son of Saturn. He is used as a sub planet in charts in Kerala and some parts of Tamilnadu.

In South Durga/Kali is traditionally regarded as the goddess for Rahu and Ganapathi/Vigneswara as the god for Ketu.

Vaishnavites treat Narasimha swamy (Vishnu's 4th avatar) as the god for Rahu in south.

Anyhow Tuesday & Friday's are considered auspicious for Devi worship and hence worshiping Durga/Kali during Tuesday/Friday during Rahu Kalam is believed to please Rahu.

Hope this helps.

Om Tat Sat

Krishna

Thank you Krishnaji , lovely answer.

any idea about Sunday?

It's interesting how I came about hearing of this. I met an astrologer a while back on a Sunday, as it so happened! he was delayed a little bit and it was during the traditional rahu kaal time that we finally spoke. He was, like most Astros, cognizant of the fact, and mentioned it with a smile. He didn't NOT see our charts, but he asked me to go to a temple during the time and pray, in general. That's how I ended up walking in one Tuesday and observed the lemon lamps.

it's actually a charged and lovely experience to be in a temple of Devi at the time. Made me question how the same Malefic rahu brings about such a feeling of divine energy

I'm from South of India and am pretty sure about Kerala & Tamil Nadu traditions and their people follow only on Tuesday & Friday's. I'm not that aware of Karnataka and Andhra.

Please keep in mind that every planet, house carries negative and positive shades. Rahu can be highly spiritual as well For example "Ganga Snan" is treated very auspicious in our tradition and Rahu is the

planet who can shower this blessing on an individual. The way I read astrology is everyone can be happy all the times with rare exceptions...The question is what individual wants to follow and what is destined on him at that moment.

Coming back to Sunday...Generally Sunday is treated as the day for Ketu in South especially in Sidha traditions. As far as I know people worship Ganesh during Rahu Kal on Sunday for appeasing Ketu.

Thanks
    Krishna

Quote Originally Posted by Laalu View Post
    Pranaams

I have seen while travelling in the South that Durga us worshipped during Rahu kaal on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Can anyone tell me why? Also the divas used are upturned lemons. curious to know the reason behind practise on these days.

Namastey Laalu,

Rahu is the part of Navagrahas. One of the section between sunrise and sunset is known as Rahu Kaal.

Praying to Goddess Durga is a considered as a part of Rahu Dosha Puja. This puja helps in removing the dangers and evils from individual's life.

The upturned lemon Diyas are used because Lemon has the power drive away evil forces. The aroma that's emitted by lemon lamp helps in soothing and calms down the mind. A lemon lamp also increases the positive vibrations.
    Its very powerful if you light lemon lamps on fridays from 10.30 A.M to 12 noon. and on sundays between 4.30 P.M to 6 evening.
    Tuesday is the most auspicious day. The time is fixed viz: 3.00 pm and 4.30 pm on Tuesdays, 10.30 am and 12.00 pm on Fridays and 4.30 pm and 6.00 pm on Sundays. Devotees do this Puja to blessings of Durga Maa. Durga Kavacaham, Nav Durga Puja and Mantra is also performed.

~Hari Om

Pranaams and thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Suhita View Post
    Namastey Laalu,

Rahu is the part of Navagrahas. One of the section between sunrise and sunset is known as Rahu Kaal.

Praying to Goddess Durga is a considered as a part of Rahu Dosha Puja. This puja helps in removing the dangers and evils from individual's life.

The upturned lemon Diyas are used because Lemon has the power drive away evil forces. The aroma that's emitted by lemon lamp helps in soothing and calms down the mind. A lemon lamp also increases the positive vibrations.
    Its very powerful if you light lemon lamps on fridays from 10.30 A.M to 12 noon. and on sundays between 4.30 P.M to 6 evening.
    Tuesday is the most auspicious day. The time is fixed viz: 3.00 pm and 4.30 pm on Tuesdays, 10.30 am and 12.00 pm on Fridays and 4.30 pm and 6.00 pm on Sundays. Devotees do this Puja to blessings of Durga Maa. Durga Kavacaham, Nav Durga Puja and Mantra is also performed.

~Hari Om
    So, would this be somewhat like the horas (hours starting with sunrise, not the hora chart) which are described in jyotish (weekday-specific order from sunrise onwards?)? Despite the duration for rahu kaal being longer?

Having lived in north india where rahu kaal is not in vogue, if I have heard correctly -- I wonder if this astronomical-astrological phenomenon (rahu kaal) operates more as we get closer to equator or is there a cultural preference that made it more prominent in the south...?

Just wondering...

A birth-epoch is a seemingly-random TRANSIT-epoch that gains a personal-meaningfulness and becomes a beacon in the current lifetime of the incarnated soul-fragment; the union of a kona (angle) with a trikona (trine)...?

RR Ji,

The below are Rahu Kalam/Kal for each of the week day... This is based on the assumption that Sun is rising at 6.00 AM. This varies with geography based on Sun rise timings. You are right this is like Hora with different time duration.

Sunday - 4.30 - 6.00 PM
    Monday - 7.30 - 9.00 AM
    Tuesday - 3.00 - 4.30 PM
    Wednesday - 12.00 - 1.30 PM
    Thursday - 1.30 - 3.00 PM
    Friday - 10.30 - 12.00 AM
    Saturday - 9.00 - 10.30 AM

Thanks
    Krishna

Quote Originally Posted by KrishnaTVM View Post
    RR Ji,

The below are Rahu Kalam/Kal for each of the week day... This is based on the assumption that Sun is rising at 6.00 AM. This varies with geography based on Sun rise timings. You are right this is like Hora with different time duration.

Sunday - 4.30 - 6.00 PM
    Monday - 7.30 - 9.00 AM
    Tuesday - 3.00 - 4.30 PM
    Wednesday - 12.00 - 1.30 PM
    Thursday - 1.30 - 3.00 PM
    Friday - 10.30 - 12.00 AM
    Saturday - 9.00 - 10.30 AM

Thanks
    Krishna
    Thanks Krishna ji. I am aware of the durations etc. But more intriguing to me is its prominence in southern astrological practice, which is in stark contrast with northern practices (norms) where to the best of my information it was not given much attention.

Rather puzzling!

A birth-epoch is a seemingly-random TRANSIT-epoch that gains a personal-meaningfulness and becomes a beacon in the current lifetime of the incarnated soul-fragment; the union of a kona (angle) with a trikona (trine)...?

hello Krishnaji,

A supplementary note on gulika. why is gulika kaal auspicious? gulika is son of saturn and considered Malefic, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by KrishnaTVM View Post
    Hari Om,

Good Question!

As you know 7 days of the week are assigned based on 7 grahas. Rahu & Ketu are shadowy planets so they were assigned specific duration's on a given day.

Rahu Kalam - 1.5 hours of duration per day. This varies with each day is allocated for Rahu.
    Yama Gantam - 1.5 hours of duration per day. This varies with each day is allocated for Ketu.

Initiating new auspiuos activities are avoided during these times. Generally Piru Karma's are done during this time.

Gulika Kalam - 1.5 hours of duration per day. This time is good for auspicious activities. Usually anything done in this time will develop further.

So inauspicious activities like Pitru Karma's should be avoided during this time.

Gulikan - Is the son of Saturn. He is used as a sub planet in charts in Kerala and some parts of Tamilnadu.

In South Durga/Kali is traditionally regarded as the goddess for Rahu and Ganapathi/Vigneswara as the god for Ketu.

Vaishnavites treat Narasimha swamy (Vishnu's 4th avatar) as the god for Rahu in south.

Anyhow Tuesday & Friday's are considered auspicious for Devi worship and hence worshiping Durga/Kali during Tuesday/Friday during Rahu Kalam is believed to please Rahu.

Hope this helps.

Om Tat Sat

Krishna

Thread Information