Namaste,

I've read that some ancient treatises contain restrictions for mūrtis (images) in pūjā (ritual worship, including offerings) in the home. One limit is said to be that the image in the home may be no greater than 14 finger breadths or 10 inches (in American terms) in height, if it is to be involved in pūjā. Some say the limit works out to 22 centimeters, which is a bit smaller. It is also said that the image must be made of metal, such as bronze, for example. Others say stone images are acceptable. One may have a taller statue of a deity in the home, perhaps for prayer, but not for pūjā, it is said. One exception to the rules is the śālagrāma, a sacred stone from the Gaṇḍakī River that is a mūrti or arcāvatāra (incarnation as an image or object to be worshiped) of śrī viṣṇu. The liṅga of śrī śiva seems to be another exception.

Is this true for everyone? Are these restrictions universal or just part of a specific sampradāya (tradition) or group of traditions? I'm interested in hearing from everyone who is experienced in traditional Hindu home worship in any tradition or familiar with the relevant texts. My impression is that some traditions do not observe these limits, because Ram Dass does not appear to be concerned with them in his description of pūjā and a detailed pūjā guide from a particular guru doesn't seem to be concerned with them either.

Also, which restrictions, if any, do you observe in the placement and size of your ghar mandir (home temple for the images)?

Thank you in advance to the kind person with the answers.

praṇām