Thread: What happens to the murti after?

What happens to the murti after?

Namaste one and all!

I am back after a long sojourn. Who knows how long I will linger here this time. I'm not sure if this question is in the right forum but I wanted to know what happens when a temple reaches construction and the temporary abode is abandoned for the new abode? God has been invited into the murti in the temporary abode, but now She has been invited to dwell in another, grander dwelling. What will happen to Her murti in the previous place? Is She asked to leave that one and enter the other? Or is worship continued? I am very worried by these thoughts!

Thank you for your answers.

Re: What happens to the murti after?

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Kala View Post
    Namaste one and all!

I am back after a long sojourn. Who knows how long I will linger here this time. I'm not sure if this question is in the right forum but I wanted to know what happens when a temple reaches construction and the temporary abode is abandoned for the new abode? God has been invited into the murti in the temporary abode, but now She has been invited to dwell in another, grander dwelling. What will happen to Her murti in the previous place? Is She asked to leave that one and enter the other? Or is worship continued? I am very worried by these thoughts!

Thank you for your answers.
    Vannakkam and welcome back. Yes the deity is ceremoniously moved in what is called a balastapanam ceremony. The priests ritually move the entire deity into a kumbham, where it stays for the length of the move, and then they put the energy back into the deity in the new place or residence. We moved the temple here acouple of times, and it is quite elaborate. For kumbabhishekhams, the 12 year cleansing ritual, they do the same ceremony, move the deities out to the temporary yagasala (usually a tent outside) for a few days before taking it(often them) back in.

If you get the opportunity to witness, and have the opportunity to participate in any way, you'll get the idea. Quite a few interesting things happen. For example, deities get to touch the murthy (often oiling it) while the real deity is absent. Hope you get to enjoy this.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam and welcome back. Yes the deity is ceremoniously moved in what is called a balastapanam ceremony. The priests ritually move the entire deity into a kumbham, where it stays for the length of the move, and then they put the energy back into the deity in the new place or residence. We moved the temple here acouple of times, and it is quite elaborate. For kumbabhishekhams, the 12 year cleansing ritual, they do the same ceremony, move the deities out to the temporary yagasala (usually a tent outside) for a few days before taking it(often them) back in.

If you get the opportunity to witness, and have the opportunity to participate in any way, you'll get the idea. Quite a few interesting things happen. For example, deities get to touch the murthy (often oiling it) while the real deity is absent. Hope you get to enjoy this.

Aum Namasivaya
    Sorry, EMji, I'm a little bit confused. So, the deity's energy is requested to leave the old murti and then to enter into the new one? Is that it? I am very upset with myself that I did not go to the week long celebration - I could have seen such amazing things! And touched the murti!

Hara Hara Mahadeva

Vannakkam: Indeed, that's how they do it. They transfer the energy into the 'holding vessel' the kumbham, and then later, as part of the first new abhishekham, they transfer it back. You might be interested in the one I was witness to and part of here. I had the job of driving the car with the temple in it, as we had to move it from a small rented room to the land where the temple is now. So the priest took about 3 hours to transfer the energy, then we all proceeded to the cars, and like a procession, drove out to the land. The two main kumbhas (Ganesha and Siva) were in the front seat with me, being carried by a Swami I know well, and the priest. The Swami looked at me just before I started it up (a big old boat, an older Ford LTD, those bench seats) and said. "Drive carefully, Jai, there's a lot of energy in this car." (as if I didn't already know that, haha) Another interesting thing was that later I talked with the friend who had the job of bringing the Ganesha murthi. He told me he thought it was styrofoam, not stone. The kumbhas get really 'heavy' at these times and it can take more than one priest to move them.

So yes, that is how it's done. I'm not sure if it's the same in those style temples where murthies are more symbolic, but it's certainly true for the South Indian style Agamic temples.

There will be more to attend, you will get a chance yet.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information