Thread: Why We exchange Tilgul on Makar Sankranti?

Why We exchange Tilgul on Makar Sankranti?

Namastey Everyone,

From Childhood, I have known Makar Sankranti as only a festival of Kite Flying. Exchanging Tilgul is a ritual that is also known. But Now I wonder, Why do we exchange only Tilgul on Makar Sankranti? I have refereed many sources http://punecity.com/sankrat/sankrat.html. But Never known about the exact reason. I hope someone knows about this.

~Hari Om

Re: Why We exchange Tilgul on Makar Sankranti?

Namaste,

Makar Sankranti, as every other festival, is celebrated differently in different parts of the country,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makar_Sankranti

As best as I can see, it is a matter of tradition as to how we observe it. In the cold winter months in the North, we do tend to consume more 'revaDi' and warm peanuts than at any other time of the year. So, they become the obvious choices for gift exchanges and for throwing into the holy fire of 'Holika'. Of course, the website above and others merely make observations about the way this post harvest festival is celebrated without going too much into detail about the reasons.

Pranam.

Namastey Believer,

I have read the above link. Its's not the matter of consuming any delicacies. The wikipedia link states clearly "The underlying thought in the exchange of til-gul is to forget the past ill-feelings and hostilities and resolve to speak sweetly and remain friends."
    So let us forget all the bad things happened in our life and welcome the new year by Makar Sankranti.
    ​~Hari Om

Namaste,

Whereas I appreciate the sentiments mentioned about til-gul in Wikipedia, please be aware that anyone can become a member of the Wikipedia staff and enter their take on various topics into the data base. So, we have to filter the information contained therein with our rational thinking and also compare it to the information from other sources. Additionally, Makar Sankranti does not mark the start of a new year for any of the million different ethnic groups in India.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_New_Year%27s_days

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 27 December 2015 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Whereas I appreciate the sentiments mentioned about til-gul in Wikipedia, please be aware that anyone can become a member of the Wikipedia staff and enter their take on various topics into the data base. So, we have to filter the information contained therein with our rational thinking and also compare it to the information from other sources. Additionally, Makar Sankranti does not mark the start of a new year for any of the million different ethnic groups in India.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_New_Year%27s_days

Pranam.
    Namastey Believer,

I do agree that Makar Sankranti doesn't mark the start of new Year. It is clearly stated in the 1st link that since it the first Hindu festival of New Year that's why people consider this as the start of new beginnings and new resolutions. Official New Year is the at the end of new year. In India New Year is for different religions and Cultures like for maharashtrians new year starts from GUDI PADWA, for Gujaratis it is on the 4th day of Diwali and Baisakhi for Punjabi's etc.

But thanks for sharing the info. At least the fact is cleared and people will know more.

~Hari Om

Thread Information