Namaste, good reader,

Since September this year, I have sought Lord Ganesha and come to believe in His power and wisdom. I am new to Hinduism and certainly still learning. Strange events occurred recently to me, and I hoped someone wiser could help me interpret them appropriately. I am a lone practitioner of the faith and have no contact with other Hindus.

My paternal grandfather died three years ago; he was a good man in whose house I was raised. The family decided to release his ashes at the local beach recently (we live in the U.S. in Florida), and as the day grew near, I prayed, made offerings, and read much to seek the wisdom and strength I would need to help complete this ritual. My family is Christian though not actively or overtly practicing, and the ritual was very informal.

As my husband and I left our house to go to the beach, we saw a large male bobcat (which I have seen here only once before about two years ago) walking along the creek the runs behind our house. As we were leaving the beach, a rat (which I have never seen here before) walked very boldly and slowly in front of our group and in the path of a moving car. When I saw these animals, I was very delighted (as I love animals), but did not occur to me until I was driving home that these sightings could have meaning.

From my readings, I know Lord Ganesh uses both a mouse and lion as vehicles; bobcats and rats are as close to those as wild animals get naturally here. Are the Gods known to speak through animal appearances or behavior? If so, what meanings can I find in these?

For your time and wisdom, I have great gratitude.