Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lingam Form of Lord Shiva

Lingam Form of Lord Shiva

Namastey,

I have read the complete story of Shiva Linga and Lord Shiva. Many people keep Shivaling in their homes and offices. Why did Lord Shiva reveal his Lingam form on the day of Mahashivaratri only?

And that's why people perfom Linga Puja and worship Lord Shiva in the form of performing Rudraksha Abishekama.

~Hari Om
    Chakra Healing with RRST!!!

Re: Lingam Form of Lord Shiva

Vannakkam Suhita: Just curious, which scripture says this, where did you here of it. (Seems to me a formless God would be beyond time.)

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Suhita: Just curious, which scripture says this, where did you here of it. (Seems to me a formless God would be beyond time.)

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste EM ji,

What Suhita ji posted is correct but the article in the link is briefand doesn't contain much information.

The importance and greatness of observance of Mahashivaratri is stated in many Dharmic scriptures like Srimat Saiva Agamas as well as the Puranas,especially the ones related to Lord Shiva(Sriman Mahabharata states that out of 18 Maha Puranas,10 Maha Puranas discuss the glorious divine sports of Lord Shiva).

The Shastras say that ,there are many types of Sivaratris throughout the year but for a devotee of Lord Shiva everyday is Sivarathri, why? Because Shiva bhaktas are always enthusiastically engaged in contemplation of husband of Goddess Uma Parvati.

Significance of Mahasivaratri:

http://www.shaivam.org/siddhanta/fesshiva.html

http://www.shaivam.org/siddhanta/maling.html
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post
    Namaste EM ji,

What Suhita ji posted is correct but the article in the link is briefand doesn't contain much information.

The importance and greatness of observance of Mahashivaratri is stated in many Dharmic scriptures like Srimat Saiva Agamas as well as the Puranas,especially the ones related to Lord Shiva(Sriman Mahabharata states that out of 18 Maha Puranas,10 Maha Puranas discuss the glorious divine sports of Lord Shiva).

The Shastras say that ,there are many types of Sivaratris throughout the year but for a devotee of Lord Shiva everyday is Sivarathri, why? Because Shiva bhaktas are always enthusiastically engaged in contemplation of husband of Goddess Uma Parvati.

Significance of Mahasivaratri:

http://www.shaivam.org/siddhanta/fesshiva.html
    Namastey Ram11,

Thanks for understanding my doubt. Yes it is true that each and every source say the same statement regarding the shivalingam form of Lord Shiva. But The 1st link you mentioned explains the story too. thanks for that . Also, my mentor has told me that every time when you observe Lord Shiva sitting in the pose of meditation that time many pics has Shivlinga also in front of him.

Can Betel leaves then be offered to Shivaling??
    ~Hari Om

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post

Aum Namasivaya
    Refer this for significance you will get it :
    http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com/mahashivaratri.html
    and yes even the links mentioned by Ram11.

~Hari Om

Quote Originally Posted by Suhita View Post
    Namastey Ram11,
    Also, my mentor has told me that every time when you observe Lord Shiva sitting in the pose of meditation that time many pics has Shivlinga also in front of him.

~Hari Om
    Namaste Suhita Ji,

The manifestation of Lord Shiva (who is formless,attribute-less,colorless,shapeless etc. yet always auspicious(sada[always]-shiva[auspicious]),merciful,all pervading etc.) in the form of a cosmic pillar of fire is known as Lingodbhavam according to Agama Shastras.This event is discussed in great detail in many other scriptures too.I posted a little info. regarding this in this post.I am quoting some imp. points from it.

According to tradition,Lord Shiva has three aspects:

1.Arupam or 'formless' aspect known as Para Siva or Parama Shiva.Sivam has no form as such i.e it is Nirakara,this 'formless' Para Siva is the ultimate substance and is the source of all forms,things,beings etc.

2.Aruparupam or the 'formless form' corresponds to the Shivalingam.The Shivalingam is not any specific form but represents the great cosmic pillar of fire know as Analastamba in the scriptures or Jyotirlingam.

3.Rupam or the various 'forms' like Lord Shiva and Parvati(or Ardhanarishvara)etc.,are many forms in which the Lord appeared before Rishis(sages) and devotees.

Rupam and Shivalingam helps a devotee to concentrate the mind on a form as most people cannot grasp Para Siva easily.Gradually,one may progress from Rupa aspect to Aruparupa and finally to Arupa.Also,it is possible that one can contemplate on one or more of these three aspects based on individual capacity.The Shastras say, like a string that passes through every pearl in a pearl chain so too Para Siva is present in Rupam as well as in Aruparupam( Shivalingam).
    Sri Lingodhbhava (श्री लिंगोद्भव)

In the above image of Lingodbhava,we can see Para Shiva Parabrahman manifesting with 'form/Rupam' in the center of the 'formless-form' or Jyotirlingam.We can also see the search of the top and roots of the Shivalingam by Lord Brahma in the form a swan(hamsa) and below Lord Vishnu in his avatara of Sri Varaha(the divine wild boar) respectively.

The scriptures state the Lingam or the cylindrical pillar like central structure represents Shiva Parameshti and the base or pedestal that holds/surrounds it is the Goddess Uma Parvati Herself.Therefore the Shivalingam is not a form of Shiva alone but the combined form of Shiva and Shakti,signifying the harmony of male and female aspects.

Can Betel leaves then be offered to Shivaling??
    Yes,betel leaves may be offered to the Lord but is based on the Puja procedure adopted(some include it,some may not).However,offering Bilva patra(Bel leaves) is very meritorious.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namastey Ram11,

Yes thanks for the info.

~Hari Om

Hi there,

Since long time I desperately wanted to know all the different avatars of Lord shiva. So recently I have read about various avatars of Lord Shiva from a site from where I came to know that actually there are 19 avatars of Lord shiva. I am sharing the url of the site below.

Check this: http://www.chakrayog.in/Articles/19-...ord-shiva.aspx

Namaste,

Included in the above referenced link is the following text,

• "Sharabha Avatar – Part lion and part bird, Sharabha is an eight-legged beast, mightier than a lion and elephant, and was manifested to kill Narasimha – the avatar of Lord Vishnu."

Do I understand it right that the Hindu Divine was incarnated in two different forms so that one form could kill the other one?

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Included in the above referenced link is the following text,

• "Sharabha Avatar – Part lion and part bird, Sharabha is an eight-legged beast, mightier than a lion and elephant, and was manifested to kill Narasimha – the avatar of Lord Vishnu."

Do I understand it right that the Hindu Divine was incarnated in two different forms so that one form could kill the other one?

Pranam.
    Namaste,

Yes,correct.The divine in Hinduism can incarnate in any number of forms and some can't be understood by applying logic.
    This incident you mention is found in the Vedas as well as in some other Shastras.The instruction given there is that this narrative must not be discussed with all people.Receivers of this must meet certain eligibility criteria otherwise some persons may misunderstand it.It seems you have too.There is a scriptural injunction against discussing it but if you are sincerely interested to know,I'll give you the references in scriptures.In case you have any doubts,kindly pm me.

Thread Information