Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lingam Form of Lord Shiva

Re: Lingam Form of Lord Shiva

Namaste Ram11,

I am sorry that the real meaning of this incident is different from what I perceived from the simple meaning carried by the ordinary words used. Since I am not educated in Sanskrit and do not have access to scriptures, would you be kind enough to explain the significance of this incident in a PM. I am really curious to know and learn more about these incarnations of Shiva and Vishnu and their interaction. Thank you very much for your time and effort.

Pranam.

Vannakkam: This entire idea of Shiva having avatars is new to me. I admit I'm not well read at all, but going by what really basic stuff I have read, generally Saivas don't believe in avatar as a concept. It's primarily a Vaishnavite belief. It's certainly not at the forefront of any school I know, not like in Vaishnavism. Still, it could well be in some obscure text, and jut hasn't been brought to the forefront.

An example of this lies in the digitalization projects of ancient lost works (several agamas, for example) that only now are being studied. New information on the way our sages described these things is coming forward every day.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: This entire idea of Shiva having avatars is new to me.
    Namaste-ji,

Yes, me too. I am similarly not well read, though I've read and been told that Shiva doesn't take Avatars, instead He has 'Emanations', though I don't understand the distinction. Further clarification would be great.
    The story involving Sri Narasimha and Sri Sharabha is in both the Padme Purana and the Shiva Purana, and is mentioned in some learned commentaries I have on my reading list.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post
    Namaste,

Yes,correct.The divine in Hinduism can incarnate in any number of forms and some can't be understood by applying logic.
    This incident you mention is found in the Vedas as well as in some other Shastras.The instruction given there is that this narrative must not be discussed with all people.Receivers of this must meet certain eligibility criteria otherwise some persons may misunderstand it.It seems you have too.There is a scriptural injunction against discussing it but if you are sincerely interested to know,I'll give you the references in scriptures.In case you have any doubts,kindly pm me.
    I appreciate your views.
    Chakra Healing with RRST!!!

Namaste EM Ji and Aanandinii Ji,

You are right.There are differences in the way Shaivas and others understand the Avatara concept.
    (If Shaivas use such the word 'Avatara/incarnation' it may be because this word is somewhat easily understood than other unfamiliar terms).

I am quoting below what I posted about Avatars in Shaivism in an earlier post.

Avatara i.e. Lord Shiva taking a human form/birth is not found in Shaiva traditions.However,Lord Shiva and Devi Parvati assume many forms(sometimes human like) for the benefit of world through a phenomena called as Lila or divine play

One best example is Mother Parvati.

King Himavan and Mena Devi did tapas and wished that Para Shakti be born as their daughther.The Shakti of Lord Shiva appeared before them in Vishwarupa(great cosmic form encompassing everything & appears to have innumerable forms,faces,hands etc.).They requested that great Tejas to take the form of a lady and She became Hymavathi(daughter of Himavan) or Parvati(daugther of Himalaya Parvata Raja) with a humanlike form.Though there is no birth in the human way,she projected Herself as a person.This concept in Saivism is similar to Avatara theory found in other systems.The Saiva scriptures say that the purpose of such leelas is Loka hitam(for doing good to the world).
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste,

Yes,correct.The divine in Hinduism can incarnate in any number of forms and some can't be understood by applying logic.
    This incident you mention is found in the Vedas as well as in some other Shastras.The instruction given there is that this narrative must not be discussed with all people.Receivers of this must meet certain eligibility criteria otherwise some persons may misunderstand it.It seems you have too.There is a scriptural injunction against discussing it but if you are sincerely interested to know,I'll give you the references in scriptures.In case you have any doubts,kindly pm me.
    Thanks for the advice Ram11, however Lord Shiva is known to be formless and limitless.
    Chakra Healing with RRST!!!

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Yes,correct.The divine in Hinduism can incarnate in any number of forms ...
    I would like to add one point of view if I may..

We read the following in the tantrāloka 10.283

turyātīte bheda ekaḥ satatodita ityam ||

· satatoditam = satata + udita
    · satata = perpetual , continual , uninterrupted
    · udita = being high above, elevated

This is informing us that the Supreme is without break or pause... so when we say that the Divine can incarnate into various forms, that is all well and good.
    But the (final) truth of the matter is there is no thing IT is not. No need for any transformation or incarnation required.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Believer ji, Ram11 ji

The story of Sarabha is told in the Shiva Purana. I do not recall any injunction against it being discussed... but it can be put this way; Nrismha is an Ugra (aggressive form) and many aggressive forms of deities need something that can return them to their beneficent form so that they do not reap destruction. This is what Sarabha does. It is like when Parvati manifests Durga who in turn manifests Kali. Kali is so intoxicated by destruction that She begins the Tandava dance, initiating Pralaya. In order to stop this, Shiva takes the form of a corpse (or in some places, the form of an infant) and when She places Her foot upon Shiva, who is divine consciousness, She realises what She is doing and ceases.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Kala View Post
    Namaste Believer ji, Ram11 ji

I do not recall any injunction against it being discussed... but it can be put this way
    Namaste Divine Kala Ji,

Hmm..,maybe you have forgotten the injunctions.Various Shaiva Shastras categorically state that this must not be discussed in public.I do not wish to turn a deaf ear to the words of the scriptures and revisit this repeatedly.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Dear members

Can you clarify more on formless form. Siva is said to be prakasha.So for lingodbhavam,Is radiance of light coming from fire denotes Siva or fire itself? In Tamilnadu, there was a saint named Vallalar who worshipped Jyothi.

Namaste Suhita Ji,

The manifestation of Lord Shiva (who is formless,attribute-less,colorless,shapeless etc. yet always auspicious(sada[always]-shiva[auspicious]),merciful,all pervading etc.) in the form of a cosmic pillar of fire is known as Lingodbhavam according to Agama Shastras.This event is discussed in great detail in many other scriptures too.I posted a little info. regarding this in this post.I am quoting some imp. points from it.

Sri Lingodhbhava (श्री लिंगोद्भव)

In the above image of Lingodbhava,we can see Para Shiva Parabrahman manifesting with 'form/Rupam' in the center of the 'formless-form' or Jyotirlingam.We can also see the search of the top and roots of the Shivalingam by Lord Brahma in the form a swan(hamsa) and below Lord Vishnu in his avatara of Sri Varaha(the divine wild boar) respectively.

The scriptures state the Lingam or the cylindrical pillar like central structure represents Shiva Parameshti and the base or pedestal that holds/surrounds it is the Goddess Uma Parvati Herself.Therefore the Shivalingam is not a form of Shiva alone but the combined form of Shiva and Shakti,signifying the harmony of male and female aspects.

Yes,betel leaves may be offered to the Lord but is based on the Puja procedure adopted(some include it,some may not).However,offering Bilva patra(Bel leaves) is very meritorious.

Thread Information