Thread: Circumambulation around Shivaling

Circumambulation around Shivaling

Namastey,

Is circumumbulation around shivaling for 3 or 7 times enough?

~Hari Om
    Chakra Healing with RRST!!!

Re: Circumambulation around Shivaling

Vannakkam:

I'm not clear as to what you mean by 'enough'? Enough for what?

Practices like this are generally very personal and regional or local. Some temples, for example, don't allow the possibility for pradakshina period. In that case you often see people spinning to compensate or simulate it. In general though, for any penance 'enough' is whatever amount the individual feels comfortable with. At the temple I go to I've seen people doing 108, 108 around a smaller shrine, 3, 52, etc.

Same with just walking to temple ... a mile, 2 miles.

Is there more specificity to your question perhaps?

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ om̐
    ~~~~~~

namasté

pradakṣiṇa - moving to the right. One can do this pradakṣiṇa around themselves (Self as the center)...

As EM says 'how much is enough' ? Enough for what ? If you look to accomplish a number, then you know it is not enough yet.

How do you know when it is enough ? When pradakṣiṇa is the joy of circling your own Self and know you are circling the universe. Then it is enough.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam:

I'm not clear as to what you mean by 'enough'? Enough for what?

Practices like this are generally very personal and regional or local. Some temples, for example, don't allow the possibility for pradakshina period. In that case you often see people spinning to compensate or simulate it. In general though, for any penance 'enough' is whatever amount the individual feels comfortable with. At the temple I go to I've seen people doing 108, 108 around a smaller shrine, 3, 52, etc.

Same with just walking to temple ... a mile, 2 miles.

Is there more specificity to your question perhaps?

Aum Namasivaya
    Namastey,
    What I mean to see is as is there any restrictions that these many number of rounds must only be done. But obvious we can't revolve around the temple for hours. 'Enough' is not related to my question.
    But I will consider your advice.

~Hari Om

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ om̐
    ~~~~~~

namasté

pradakṣiṇa - moving to the right. One can do this pradakṣiṇa around themselves (Self as the center)...

As EM says 'how much is enough' ? Enough for what ? If you look to accomplish a number, then you know it is not enough yet.

How do you know when it is enough ? When pradakṣiṇa is the joy of circling your own Self and know you are circling the universe. Then it is enough.

iti śivaṁ
    That's what my question. I have read it that's why even I have asked.

Vannakkam: As far as I know there are no hard and fast restrictions, although lots of things are done in specified numbers. It is customary in most temples to do pradakshina 3 times for example.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: As far as I know there are no hard and fast restrictions, although lots of things are done in specified numbers. It is customary in most temples to do pradakshina 3 times for example.

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks Eastern Mind. I will surely try to find more on this.

~Hari Om

Quote Originally Posted by Suhita View Post
    Namastey,

Is circumumbulation around shivaling for 3 or 7 times enough?

~Hari Om
    Namaste Suhita

First, simple answer:

Vishnu tattva : 4 (but a Swamiji asked me to make 11 around Dattatreya - BramhA+VishNu+Mahesh(Shiv))
    GaNapati : 3
    Devi: 1 / 3
    Shiva linga : Depending on the temple structure -- one does not make a complete pradakshina around a Shiv ling -- make HALF a pradakshiNA till you reach the centre where the abhishek milk/water flows out and back.

However some spiritual paths allow a full pradakshina around Shivalinga - 3

Here is a link that explains a variety of different answers based on different criteria
    http://www.sanatan.org/en/a/317.html
    What I had learnt was closest to method 3 in the article.

--
    That being said, sky is the limit for a devotee, and maybe multiples of the above numbers makes sense.
    108 is also a favorite -- for Krishna, or the BhAgwat grantha placed on the stage of a BhAgvat kathA.

Just the other day I had this crazy idea of 108 pradakshina along a nice gardeny parikrama maarga (circumblation path) outside a Shri Nathji temple (Shri NathJi is KrshNa for the PushTimaarg followers). It was cold, and I had to remind myself -- act responsibly. If you get sick or overtired you are being irresponsible towards others. Maybe in installments of 25.
    A 3 year old accomplice (who made sure I carried him) asked me to stop after 15
    -- cutest little Lotus Feet with reddish soles, megha-ShyAma varNa (complexion), chubby cheeks, cutest little palms - reddish. I put a woolen cap on him, and a sweater, and socks -- oh there goes my darshan of those cute little feet -- but he should not be cold. After finishing 15 the little one said, "That is enough. You will not be able to handle any more"
    Last edited by smaranam; 03 February 2016 at 10:13 PM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Thread Information