Thread: Hello

Hello

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the invitation to the forum. I am a ch'an/zen Buddhist practitioner. My dharma name is Liang, but my real name is Fred. I go by either.

I hope that I can find some help in studying the core aspects of the various traditions within Hinduism. I find that I lack sufficient understanding of the context of my own tradition's roots. The Buddha was a practicing Hindu after all. I also find many of the same elements and experiences are shared between our faiths.

I am starting with "What is Hinduism?", Compiled by Hinduism Today, an excellent book recommended in past threads on this site. Any suggestions on where to start with primary texts, the Upanishads?

I hope all you are well and I look forward to sharing in our practice. I will keep the posters here in my prayers and meditations. Please pray for me.

Namaste, Liang

Re: Hello

Vannakkam Liang ... Welcome to HDF. I hope your time here is fruitful.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Welcome the the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Liang Ch'an View Post
    I am starting with "What is Hinduism?", Compiled by Hinduism Today, an excellent book recommended in past threads on this site. Any suggestions on where to start with primary texts, the Upanishads?
    'What is Hinduism' is an excellent start. The next one should be The Bhagwad Gita. There are several online translations available to people familiar with 'google search'.

Regarding 'praying for me' bit; that is a Xitian tradition.
    We all get what we deserve per our past karma. Somebody praying on my behalf does not alter anything.

Pranam.

Thanks for the welcome!

Believer, I think I'll follow your advice and add the Baghwad Gita next.

I found your comment on prayer interesting and amusing. Yes, I was using Christain language as a habit of being typically around Christains. In Buddhism, there is metta (loving kindness) meditation which I practice. Basically visualizing loving thoughts and wishing others and myself relief from suffering during meditation. But Prayer asks the question "who are you praying to?" "Who is doing the praying?"
    also "getting what you deserve" is a way of describing karma that is a lot like how it is often stereotyped but I don't know if you really mean it that way. I always loved that the teaching that karma is being punished by our anger not because of it. In a zen worldview, nothing is good or bad in and of itself, only our clinging and attachments to it. There is a lot to discuss here.

Welcome Liang Cha'an

I think what Believer ji is saying is we have to save our self ultimately or at least in the start. If there was a supreme being that was all good and powerful then in a blink of eye everything and everyone will be saved.

Siddharta after realization was known as Lokavidu, or knower of the world, and he taught how by our own effort to reduce greed , hatred and ignorance is the way and not to rely on anything external. Who is it that wants to pracice metta bhavana, it is you, you have to do it to get the results, I can inspire, explain give you all the details but is you yourself that has to put things into motion, that is the critical and subtle understanding of samma-dhitti, right view, who is viewing, the viewer can only save himself by a conscious process, but there is help along the way

There is prayer in the different traditions of Hinduism and Buddhism, but not the one of rubbing a lamp and a servant Gene jumping out by command doing all the work for you. God helps those who help themselves, personal responsibility is the start, like Ghandi said, be the change you want to see in the world, we can get help and empowerment along the way, but these are more subtle truths that interact within the Mind and consciousness, but how that is defined is expressed differently. The Bodhi Sattva, The Buddha and all the Guru's even Shiva and Vishnu himself cannot penetrate ignorance, greed and hatred, the material energy in the form of Durga will do that till the Jiva ( individual self) wakes up.

This is just a very general overview for introductions.
    Last edited by markandeya 108 dasa; 18 January 2016 at 01:01 PM.

Markandeya, Thank you for the clarification. I loved how you talked about we must take responsibility for our own liberation and spiritual path. This is indeed a difference from the modern incarnations of the Abrahamic faiths and an aspect of Buddhism I have always appreciated.

Believer, I think I understand more what you are saying when I came across this passage in "What is Hinduism?"
    "In Hinduism there is no person or spiritual authority who stands between man and God... Without a mediator, responsibility is placed fully upon the individual. There is no one to intercede on his behalf. He is responsible for his actions, for his thoughts, for his emotions, the inside, without undue dependence upon external influences."
    Your comments make much more sense in that context.

I feel I have probably stretches the limits of the "introductions" section of the forum. I am going to start posting some questions in other threads. Thank you both for your perspective and insight.

hi, ch'an/zen.

Hinduism is very big religion & the main part of this are karma, Dharma & Reincarnation.

Thread Information