Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Temples

Re: Temples

Namaste,

I think you are in healthy condition if I may say Liang Sir

Yes I fully agree with Believer Ji on this one, religion or dharmic traditions have become like brands, something to defend rather than integrate. India in its most healthy state was not like this, I see that there is more of a deep synthesis and union in the diversity of Indian spirituality. Its a complex issue but there is enough evidence both in practice and in scriptures to support this. If anything I tend to focus more on the unity rather than the sectarian traits.

This summer I read a couple of books, i forget the titles but not the content. One was Chinese pilgrims to India, mostly about Hsüan-tsan and Faxian, both whom shaped Buddhism in China. Whats interesting about their accounts is that they give a very objective third person view of India at that time. They traveled great distances in both North and South and over to present day Pakistan and Afghanistan. He spoke of how there were different groups, Hinayana, Mahayana, Brahmanas and Tantrics and other groups, but they were not hostile with each other, it was a place of freedom of thought and expression, scriptures and teachings then were known simply as Dharma Shastras, it was a time of great discovery, people were discovering different aspects of Dharma and consciousness and all sorts of things. I think the word yana or vehicle is worth some time thinking about, its not dogmatic, its a boat, its a vessel of information that resonates consciously, when its said what it needs its no longer needed.

I especially found interest in his notes in Nalanda, he described how the monks would live by Ayurveda lifestyle, how the abbots and main teachers were people of super human abilities, such great minds, how monks would make images of the Buddha and other divinities from the most simple of elements and use them as the central part of meditation focus and practice. They also spoke of how Brahmanas would run society very precise, giving structure through Varna, and were expert in all social skills and gave protection to Sadhu's and Monks to practice freely what they discovered, there was a great harmony and open investigation. There are certain periods and places that I would have liked to have been in our human history and Nalanda period is one of them, Nalanda was not sectarian, people practices all sorts of things, I think this is the true spirit of India, which stills exists and will never be lost, only less visible.

I read parts of another book about ancient dynasties of India and how just after the time of Siddharta the reputation was growing of the powers and insights of the Buddhist in the Kuru Dynastery who were guided by Rishi's~ Seer's and while they respected each other boundaries the Bikkhu's and Rishi's would meet and exchange ideas and the Kuru Dynasty taught sattipathana and anapansati, or mindfulness and concentration skills developed through being aware of the breath to its subjects, which brought great benefits in their devotions and way of life.

There is loads more on this that you will find out in time, there is a deep unity of Buddhism and Hinduism which really are under the same umbrella. Both have benefited from the respective discoverers and practices, both practically and philosophically.

Ajahn Chah said the Dhamma is beautiful in the beginning, beautiful in the Middle and Beautiful in the End

Welcome to Sanatana Dharma
    Last edited by markandeya 108 dasa; 20 January 2016 at 03:43 AM.

That is a good point and I hadn't thought about how selfish interests would color the dialogue. I am very anti-sectarian but that perspective is not good for winning followers. A teacher that keeps pointing out all the other great teachers you could study from and get just as much benefit would shortly not have an audience.

Vannakkam: Sectarianism can get confusing, I feel. I am personally strongly sectarian. My worship and sadhana is focussed towards one deity, one way. But that doesn't mean I'm discriminatory towards other sects at all. It's only when sectarianism is accompanied by a 'my way is better than your way' attitude that it becomes troublesome.

As for the teachers pointing out other great teachers, that would be a very attractive trait to me, not a negative one. Certainly bashing other traditions wouldn't impress me much. Perhaps students vary.

Aum Namasivaya

I believe Hinduism often says many paths, one truth. In Buddhism there is a similar teaching of 84,000 dharma (teachings) doors. Each path of dharma is worthy and no one is better than the other. The important thing however is to devote yourself to your chosen path. I hope I did not come off as offensive against particular traditions or sects. Because in a way we must all be at least a little sectarian. I practice zen meditation (zazen) and my way of looking at things is definitely influenced by my zen training. If I were to try to practice everything at once I wouldn't get anywhere, like a boat constantly switching directions. Or as one zen master said you can sample food from a buffet of different places but take more than just only the desserts (this cool practice or wise sounding teaching). You can't skip the healthy vegetables and starches or the hard practice of renunciation and disciplined practice.

At the same time I have found that each school and tradition, at least in Buddhism, has something valuable to add and informs the other.
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 20 January 2016 at 06:48 PM.

Vannakkam: I read a great analogy the other day. "It is better to dig one well 100 feet deep than 100 wells one foot deep."

I believe we're on the same wavelength, Liang.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information