Thread: Discerning between a worldly desire and Dharmic-fulfilling action?

Discerning between a worldly desire and Dharmic-fulfilling action?

Namaste good readers,

I currently struggle with a strong desire whose nature I cannot discern. For many, this action could be considered fulfillment of Dharma and others do the same for purely worldly reasons. Namely, I speak of having a child with my husband, something I have desired for many years but we have not fully agreed as to whether we should do so for a variety of reasons. How can I discern in myself whether this longing for a child is a call from within to fulfill my Dharma or simply a worldly desire that will ultimately pass?

Many thanks for your thoughts,

Goatess

Re: Discerning between a worldly desire and Dharmic-fulfilling action?

Quote Originally Posted by Goatess of Ganesha View Post
    Namaste good readers,

I currently struggle with a strong desire whose nature I cannot discern. For many, this action could be considered fulfillment of Dharma and others do the same for purely worldly reasons. Namely, I speak of having a child with my husband, something I have desired for many years but we have not fully agreed as to whether we should do so for a variety of reasons. How can I discern in myself whether this longing for a child is a call from within to fulfill my Dharma or simply a worldly desire that will ultimately pass?

Many thanks for your thoughts,

Goatess
    Namaste Goatess,

I would say this depends to a large extent on the quality of your meditation and intuitive awareness. If you are able to attain a high level of awareness through witnessing and meditation, you will intuitively know what is the right thing to do in any given situation.

The mind, which is the product of knowledge, experience , memories and conditioning, is basically indecisive. You will find it hard to come to a decision based on thought. Even if you come to a decision, doubts will lurk in the back of your mind. Attentive awareness born out of meditation and witnessing, on the other hand, is decisive and brings you to do the right thing at the right time.

So I would suggest you to go by your intuition based in awareness and meditation. The inner guide, distinct from instinct, is the best guide. Hope this helps.

Pranams.

Ajay

Thread Information