Thread: Sect or Denominations Questions

Smile Sect or Denominations Questions

When I began my "official study of Sanata Daharm I remember reading that the four main denominations of Hinduism are: Vaishnavism, Shaivism, Shaktism, and Smartism. The particular piece I was reading stated that the ratio of Vaishnavism to Shaivism is almost 4 to 1 I THINK. Maybe it was 3 or 2 to 1. I have since tried to relocate that statistic but cannot find it anywhere. Does anyone know what the ratio actually is??? Also, just as importantly is WHY??? Why is there so much more Vaishnavism than Shaivism. Any links that may contain this info appreciated. I just wonder it has me curious, esp since I feel so close to Lord Shiva

Thank you
    Aum
    In whatever way people surrender unto me, I reciprocate with them accordingly.

Re: Sect or Denominations Questions

Hello, Sorry, I forgot to say say Hello or give an appropriate greeting above. Please forgive.
    Aum

Vannakkam: I've seen similar statistics, like 60% of all Hindus are Vaishnavite. As to why, I have no idea. The only analogy I can quickly think of is that all US states have 2 senators, and it doesn't mean much.

Of course the 4 sect idea is the very basics, and it does get more complicated with things like North Indian style, versus South Indian style, lots of overlap, and localised versions of everything. There is no right or wrong. What suits you is what suits you. Dualistic versions seem more commonplace, maybe because it's simpler. I really have no idea. This forum, in particular, seems to have a nicely rounded sampling, a reasonable representation. As a traditional Saivite, I often feel outnumbered, but only when I go to that city of the mind.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste MS and EM,

Who are more, Vaishnavites or the Shaivites ? There is no reliable statistics to prove any claim, as far as I know. However, Bhakti Movement from 15th to 17 century AD had mostly Vaishnava saints including Tulsidas,Soordas, Meerabai, , Haridas, Ravidas, Shankanrdeo etc. Therefore, the effect of Vaishnavism among Hindus is more. However, this doesn't mean that most of the Hindus are Vaishnavas. The reality is that most of the Hindus are SmArts and are non-sectarian. They worship various forms of God e.g. Lord Shiva, Lord Vishnu, Mother Goddess Durga, Lord Ganesha with equal reverence considering them various manifestations of One Brahman.

Actually, as I see it, the Shaiva achAryas were not so aggressive in spreading their sect as were the Vaishnavas. ShAktists were even more mute in this respect and so, there are much less ShAktas even though crores of Hindus do worship Mother Durga, Mother Laxmi and Mother Kaali. The devotees thronging to the temples of Venkateshvara (Vaishnava) in Tirupathi, Rameshwaram or Varanasi and Maa Vaishno Devi are not different crowds. Ninety percent of Hindus going to those shrines are the same.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Regarding who and how many... my views are guided by what I am taught in the pratyabhijñāhṛdayam¹ .
    It says :
    tadbhūmikāḥ sarvadarśanasthitayaḥ||8

Abiding in, standing in , settled or established in (sthitayaḥ) all ( sarva) views or ~philosophical~ systems (darśana) is the spot,
    or place (bhūmikāḥ ) of That (tad).

This says and suggests, that all systems at their core are still none other than That , the unspeakable -
    uccārarahitam vastu - that Reality ( vastu) devoid,
    deprived or void or destitute of (rahitam) utterance (ucāra). That is, that talk of That ( Him) from a certain point of view.

So, when people look at the Supreme as śiva, I say yes, is it not wonderful you look to the Supreme in that manner - through the eyes of one
    of the sampradāya-s( schools, sects, traditions). Another says víṣṇu , I too say wonderful! Another says śakti, again wonder-full .
    The Supreme is such that it is all views. It also suggests that dual and non-dual are also Him. He/That is so magnanimous that is takes on all different forms,
    positions, ideas, schools of thought and is never once limited.

iti śivaṁ

1. pratyabhijñāhṛdayam = heart (hṛdayam) + of recognition (pratyabhijñā) - this is by kṣemarāja-ji śiṣya of abhinavagupta, 8th verse: तद्भूमिकाः सर्वदर्शनस्थितयः॥८॥
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Self Seeker, that really makes sense and gives me an answer. It has a historical basis in human behavior. Thanks

Thread Information